Turn Off Ads?
Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Beijing Olympics thread

Re: Beijing Olympics thread

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    Unless he does it in London.
    I'd like to see him add an event or two and go for more.
    Go Gators!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Does anyone know of a link that I can watch Phelps and the rest of the guys vs France relay event? I can't seem to find it anywhere on teh internets.
    Benzinger backing and calling! And the 1990 world championship series belongs to the Cincinnati Reds!

Quote Originally Posted by Tommyjohn25 View Post
    Does anyone know of a link that I can watch Phelps and the rest of the guys vs France relay event? I can't seem to find it anywhere on teh internets.
    http://www.nbcolympics.com/video/pla...elcode=sportsw

Whoops, wrong one. Try this one:

http://www.nbcolympics.com/video/pla...elcode=sportsw
    Last edited by RBA; 08-17-2008 at 08:09 PM.

Muchas Gracias! I missed the race when it happened (watching "The Dark Knight") and I had not seen anything more than the highlights until now. What a race!
    Benzinger backing and calling! And the 1990 world championship series belongs to the Cincinnati Reds!

Beanball war going on between USA and China right now. 6 hbp's, Matt LaPorta dinged in the neck. Lefevbre and pitcher ejected.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    Beanball war going on between USA and China right now. 6 hbp's, Matt LaPorta dinged in the neck. Lefevbre and pitcher ejected.
    What I saw today was far worse than what yielded a warning during last night's Reds game.

I am certain that a few USA players contemplated charging the mound, but given the critical mass of local attendees--thought better of it.

One of the reasons I've never been the Olympics enthusiast some others are is I just can't get behind "judging" sports. I'd rather there be competition amongst individuals or teams where it's a direct competition. I just can't take too seriously competitions where the winners and losers are based on judging by so-called experts. At the top levels of most of these things, the difference between the top and the next level is so minute that even the most trained eye can't remove personal bias. Every Olympics too many people are screwed by bad judging. The most blatant I've ever seen other than Roy Jones is Nancy Kerrigan being passed over by Oksana Baiul. And American boxers are pretty much screwed every Olympics. It's too bad because I do enjoy watching the amazing skill of some of these athletes. I just can't handle the judges.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    One of the reasons I've never been the Olympics enthusiast some others are is I just can't get behind "judging" sports. I'd rather there be competition amongst individuals or teams where it's a direct competition. I just can't take too seriously competitions where the winners and losers are based on judging by so-called experts. At the top levels of most of these things, the difference between the top and the next level is so minute that even the most trained eye can't remove personal bias. Every Olympics too many people are screwed by bad judging. The most blatant I've ever seen other than Roy Jones is Nancy Kerrigan being passed over by Oksana Baiul. And American boxers are pretty much screwed every Olympics. It's too bad because I do enjoy watching the amazing skill of some of these athletes. I just can't handle the judges.
    Spot on. Another problem with some of the Olympic events is that it is financial and technological investments that are the winning indicators.
    To me, the pure Olympic sports are track and field. Jamaica is not a rich country. Usain Bolt won the medal because he was the fastest. No equipment advantage, no training advantage, just athletic ability and competitive desire at its purest. For all the Phelps accomplishments, he is the story of the games for me to this point.

Call me crazy but after watching Bolt run, I find him a little more impressive than Phelps. Phelps dominated for sure, but it just looks like Bolt is going through the motions and still putting up phenomenal times

the Yahoo! Olympic blog had something about the judging and what the "real medal count" would be sans any sports with judging
    http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/bei...urn=oly,101537

Quote Originally Posted by MasonBuzz3 View Post
    Call me crazy but after watching Bolt run, I find him a little more impressive than Phelps. Phelps dominated for sure, but it just looks like Bolt is going through the motions and still putting up phenomenal times
    Agreed. Bolt won't make the Today show, but I never heard so much praise for a fellow competitor as I did for Bolt.

Quote Originally Posted by MasonBuzz3 View Post
    the Yahoo! Olympic blog had something about the judging and what the "real medal count" would be sans any sports with judging
    http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/bei...urn=oly,101537
    Interestiing.

I'd love to see someone go back and take a look at all summer and winter games and take out sports with judges, I'm betting the host country would always take the biggest hit in the medal count.
    Go Gators!

if there were 8 different "strokes" for Bolt to run the sprints in, I would think that he would be favored to duplicated Phelps. Not to knock Phelps, possibly the best swimmer ever.

I find it amazing that baseball and softball have issues maintaining Olympic status and yet they keep adding judging sports with little following outside a hardcore group of fans (trampoline? really?). I suppose baseball would be better off if they did what hockey does and take two weeks off for the Olympics, but MLB will never do that. Of course I don't see a problem with sending minor leaguers and select veterans either, considering how the teams for Olympic soccer are constructed.

I'd like to see golf as an Olympic sport as well. Golf is one of those sports where you have talented athletes from just about every continent and it has a much bigger following than say, equestrian events, but is not in the Olympics.

But my main problem right now is, why no ties in Gymnastics? I can understand not wanting to have ties, but when just about every other event allows ties, it seems unfair to have convoluted tie breakers in Gymnastics. It seems like a sport ripe for scandal, either through use of underage athletes or irregularities in judging.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

I've always heard about the Roy Jones Jr fight, but I had never watched it before. I just went and watched it on youtube. All I can say is WOW! I don't know how anyone could ever take Olympic boxing seriously again after that. Seriously. Roy Jones beat the crap out the Korean boxer. It was almost like he was just toying with the guy.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Turn Off Ads?