Turn Off Ads?
Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 71314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Beijing Olympics thread

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Re: Beijing Olympics thread

SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!!!!

Don't click on this if you want to watch the Men's 200M Final tonight.

http://in.youtube.com/watch?v=qWbbXvbPq08

2. Turn Off Ads?

Bolt is just on another level. Too bad for the guys that got DQd...those lanes aren't that wide.

Sounds like Matt Treanor is going to have a busy off season.
    Congrtas to these gals. They were/are the best in the world. It's hard win at anything 108 times in a row.

http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/bei...yhoo&type=lgns
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Both the US Men's and Women's 4 x 100 relay teams dropped the baton during the prelims. Neither team will be in the finals. Is it just me or has the United States historically had trouble getting the baton around the track?

rough year for the track team in general. I agree though, it seems I remember a lot of dropped batons through out the years
    I'm just like everybody else. I have two arms, two legs and 4,000 hits."

-Pete Rose

not a good day for the US softball team, tough way to go out in the last Olympics for the sport

The ultrasound footage has now been reviewed. The most decorated Chinese gymnast should still be riding in a booster seat...

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,407803,00.html

Report: Hacker Uncovers Proof Chinese Gymnast Is Underage
    Thursday , August 21, 2008

A determined U.S. computer expert has delved into cached pages on the Internet to unearth Chinese official documents showing a gymnast who took gold in the uneven bars competition, edging the U.S.'s Nastia Liukin, may indeed be underage.

Controversy over whether He Kexin is under the minimum age of 16 has surrounded her participation in the Beijing Olympics. The latest challenge over the age of the tiny Olympian comes from the discovery through a cyberspace maze of Chinese official documents listing her date of birth.

She may not look as if she has reached the minimum competing age of 16, but China said her passport, issued in February, gives her birthday as Jan. 1, 1992. The International Olympic Committee said proof from her passport is good enough.

The latest unofficial investigation was carried out by computer security expert for the Intrepidus Group, whose site, Stryde Hax, revealed a detailed forensic search for He’s age.

First he simply tried Google, only to find that an official listing by the Chinese sports administration that had given her age could no longer be accessed. Then he tried the Google cache, only to find that He’s name had been removed.

Finally, he tried the cache of Chinese search engine Baidu. There, he found that Baidu lists two spreadsheets in He's name, both giving her date of birth as January 1, 1994 — making her 14 years and 220 days old and too young to compete at the Beijing games.

The lists were compiled by the General Administration of Sport of China.

Even before anyone arrived in Beijing, American media investigations accused China of fielding three athletes below the 16-year-old minimum age threshold. Bela Karolyi, the former U.S. head coach, then reheated the issue by claiming that China “are using half-people” and that their flouting of the regulations was so obvious that “these people think we are stupid.”

Liukin, who finished second to He in the uneven bars final would be elevated to the gold medal position should He be disqualified. Britain's Beth Twiddle, who finished in fourth place, would be elevated to the bronze.

“My real age is 16," He said when asked by journalists about the debate. "I don’t care what other people say. I want other people to know that 16 is my real age.” When asked how she spent her 15th birthday, she paused and then said: “I was with my team. It was an ordinary day.”

Just nine months before the Olympics, the Chinese government’s Xinhua news agency gave He’s age as 13. Officials have since dismissed that report, saying Xinhua had never been given her age and made a mistake.

“Much of the coverage regarding Kexin’s age has only mentioned ‘allegations’ of fraud, and the IOC has ignored the matter completely," said Stryde, who was later named by Information Week as Mike Walker. "I believe that these primary documents, issued by the Chinese state ... rise to a level of evidence higher than ‘allegation.’”

It could certainly make a difference to Britain's Tweddle, who at 23 and relatively old for a gymnast may not be able to compete in the 2012 Olympic games in London.

As amazing as Phelps was, I was captivated by Bolt. The crowd, the name, the tension, and the speed were intoxicating. Swimming can't compete with any of those things.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/spo...cle4582421.ece

Here's an interesting scene about um "activities" in the Olympic Village.
    Last edited by klw; 08-21-2008 at 07:37 PM.

[QUOTE=Blimpie;1727873]

“My real age is 16," He said when asked by journalists about the debate. "I don’t care what other people say. I want other people to know that 16 is my real age.” When asked how she spent her 15th birthday, she paused and then said: “I was with my team. It was an ordinary day.”
    It turns out she's not really a girl at all, but a robot.

Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/spo...cle4582421.ece

Here's an interesting scene about um "activities" in the Olympic Village.
    They've got nothing on Alberto Tomba.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

More inept in 2008: Cincinnati Reds or USA Track & Field?

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by 15fan View Post
    That's easy. USA Track & Field.

At least with the Reds, we knew the hype was smoke and mirrors, whereas with our Track & Field athletes, they had impressive resumes coming into the Beijing Games, but have laid nothing but eggs.

Race walking. I think ping pong was the best thing I'd seen so far, but that has certainly been replaced.

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 15fan View Post
    USA boxing
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

Turn Off Ads?