Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Beijing Olympics thread

Re: Beijing Olympics thread

The Olympics are a strange thing for me. A lot of these sports I won't spend two seconds watching over the course of four years, and then during the Olympics I'm glued to the TV watching them.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    If this were the Winter Games this would be an easy question. My hands-down favorite winter sport is curling. I love me some curling action.

Curling
    Curling
    Let's all go bloody Curling
    On E-S-P-N
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Trampoline is now an Olympic sport. That actually might be entertaining. Team synchronized Bungee jumping can't be far behind.

I almost wish it was winter right now. I'm sitting in your hometown at the moment, at my wife's uncle's house near NASA, and their air conditioning isn't working right. It's over 80 inside their apartment and I finally came out to sit in my van with the engine running for a little while just to cool off. What is the temp outside in Houston today, about 285?

All kidding aside, I usually enjoy the olympics, especially the less covered events like water polo. I like to see sports I usually don't get to see during other times during the year.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini View Post
    The Olympics are a strange thing for me. A lot of these sports I won't spend two seconds watching over the course of four years, and then during the Olympics I'm glued to the TV watching them.
    Amanda Beard will do that do a man.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Here was an interesting article on doping in the Olympics. I'm not sure whether I should be excited or worried...
    http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/new...yhoo&type=lgns
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

In 1996, we really had a blast seeing a lot of the minor sports. Modern pentathlon, team handball, table tennis, badminton, street cycling, the marathons, etc. Also got to a track session (morning after the bombing, and Jackie Joyner-Kersee blew out her hammy during our session). I'm glad we did - sitting in the stadium for track & field makes it feel like you've officially been at the Olympics.

I also dig volleyball (my game in high school & beyond) as well as swimming (dad & grandfather swam collegiately).

I'm hoping that this is the year that NBC just shows competition after competition, based on all of the channels they are running. I don't want to hear Bob Costas and Jim Lampley on a set somewhere or hear athlete profiles, or just see stuff involving Team USA. I'd much rather watch a contest between two countries. And if one of those countries is Brazil, all the better.

In my next life, I want to come back as a Brazilian. Those folks know how to root for a team and have a good time at a game...and beyond.

Big upset. Norway just shut out the US Women's Soccer team. They now have to work hard to even make it to the knock-out round.

BTW, I just got my DVR yesterday, and I can't wait to try it out with the Olympics. Now I will really be able to pick and choose what I want to watch. I won't have to watch hours of gymnastics...
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

US beat Japan, 1-0, in men's soccer. But they were lucky to hang on. The last 20-25 minutes they were uninspired and nearly gave up the lead on multiple occasions.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

I love the Olympics! I usually end up watching just about anything and everything I can find including both the Today Show and the late night coverage so I'm fully prepared to be in a comatose state for the next two weeks, LOL I'm really excited this year because we finally have cable and I'll be able to watch more of the events than I did four years ago. My favorite sports are swimming, diving, equestrian, some of the track events, baseball, volleyball, and my ultimate fave, gymnastics!! I'm probably the only one in this thread totally stoked about the gymnastics but there you go, LOL
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Hotdog eating. That needs to be an Olympic sport, if you ask me. They could just tack it onto the decathlon- have 'em eat those dogs, then run 26 miles.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    Hotdog eating. That needs to be an Olympic sport, if you ask me. They could just tack it onto the decathlon- have 'em eat those dogs, then run 26 miles.
    You joke, but Joey Chestnut vs. Kobayashi might just be the best rivalry in sports at this moment.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Just once I want to hear a Chinese official say, "We are so honored to host the Orympic Games".
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Gymnastics is my favorite (haha i coach on the side). Be ready to have a completely different scoring system - it will be pounded into your head but the ten is gone. So it will be completely confusing for everyone.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Looking at that smog, maybe the Global Warming groups should go to China....

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    Looking at that smog, maybe the Global Warming groups should go to China....

I guess WLW would have to follow, right? Your entire daytime lineup would be shot without them.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

Turn Off Ads?