Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Beijing Olympics thread

Stat geek...and proud

Re: Beijing Olympics thread

Quote Originally Posted by michst View Post
    Gymnastics is my favorite (haha i coach on the side). Be ready to have a completely different scoring system - it will be pounded into your head but the ten is gone. So it will be completely confusing for everyone.
    I enjoy that as well. The athleticism is just completely amazing.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I'm looking forward to Swimming, Diving, Soccer, Volleyball, Track and Field, Rowing and some other sports I don't necessarily expect to see. I loved it in 1996 when I lived in Bowling Green and could get the CBC broadcast for the games because they showed a lot of the actual events and a lot less of the fluff pieces. I think NBC consistently fails to realize that there is a lot of drama in the actual events and can be provided by non-Americans. Gymnastics is the one sport that always tends to turn me off because the announcers have tended to be overly biased toward the Americans to the point where they've said some really embarrassing things in the past. Is John Tesh going to be around again this year?
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

By the way, I think the Hungarian Women get the pick for most unfortunate outfit for the Parade of Nations. Red flowers on white dresses? From a distance it looks like they've been riddled with bullet holes.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    By the way, I think the Hungarian Women get the pick for most unfortunate outfit for the Parade of Nations. Red flowers on white dresses? From a distance it looks like they've been riddled with bullet holes.
    I turned on my computer for the specific purpose of seeing images of those hideous things one more time. I thought I was hallucinating.

Kudos to the first one to post photos of this.

Bravo on an amazing opening ceremonies.
    Stick to your guns.

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

I could watch the Olympic whitewater kayaking repeatedly - waiting anxiously for those events. The swimming and track & field events are always great entertainment as well.

I do loathe that NBC is pulling the tape delay once again. In the era of the internet, it takes quite a bit of the mystery away from the events.

Quote Originally Posted by jmcclain19 View Post
    I could watch the Olympic whitewater kayaking repeatedly - waiting anxiously for those events. The swimming and track & field events are always great entertainment as well.

I do loathe that NBC is pulling the tape delay once again. In the era of the internet, it takes quite a bit of the mystery away from the events.
    I noticed DirectTV has added channels to handle more Olympics coverage. I'm hoping that means I get to see more events live.

US women swept the medals today in the fencing sabre individual event.

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili View Post
    I turned on my computer for the specific purpose of seeing images of those hideous things one more time. I thought I was hallucinating.

Kudos to the first one to post photos of this.
    Ask and you shall receive ... although this really doesn't do it justice.

"The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

Phelps wins big, imagine that

so far so good for usa swimming

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Watching prime time coverage here, a little later than you folks in eastern time zone, but right now they're showing beach volleyball. The announcer just said, "The defending gold medalists are looking good." Well, that's a bit of an understatement. I wonder if he could tell me how they're playing now.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

Quote Originally Posted by TeamSelig View Post
    Phelps wins big, imagine that

so far so good for usa swimming
    I have a feeling that by the end of the next two weeks, I will feel the same about Phelps as I did about Favre last week.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

n/a

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    Just once I want to hear a Chinese official say, "We are so honored to host the Orympic Games".
    Why? The time I spent in China I never heard this type of mistake. Have you heard a Chinese person mispronounce the Olympics? Why do you want to hear someone mispronounce the Olympics?

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander View Post
    but right now they're showing beach volleyball. The announcer just said, "The defending gold medalists are looking good." Well, that's a bit of an understatement. I wonder if he could tell me how they're playing now.
    to borrow from another thread, but Misty May is a guilty pleasure of mine. Damn Matt Treanor. If she loved semi-talented baseball players, I was available

Italy putting on a display against Korea in men's soccer. 2-0 in the 33rd. The American, Guiseppe Rossi scored his second goal of the tourny.

The US is tough to watch. Although Adu had a little magic on a run, but misfired on the shot.

The field conditions in China are horrendous.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

Turn Off Ads?