Turn Off Ads?

Thread: The Start of a new ERA - DUHsty adds to his Lineup "Requirements"...

The Start of a new ERA - DUHsty adds to his Lineup "Requirements"...

Looks like it's now:

CF
    SS
    RF
    Free Swinger
    OBP#1
    OBP#2
    OBP#3
    Catcher

""
    Baker talked one-on-one with Bruce about the move to third in the lineup. The 21-year-old had most recently batted leadoff with Jerry Hairston Jr. out with an injury. Hairston was activated Friday and resumed leading off.

Bruce, who has batted third for most of his professional career, has struggled at times this season since his red-hot start. He's trying to show more plate discipline and wants to cut down on his strikeouts.

"I talked to him about what I require a third hitter to do," Baker said. "Without taking away his aggressiveness, he'll need to be a little more selective at the plate. Take your pitch. He batted third most of his life in the Minor Leagues. We'll see."

"I think I've hit third in two games in the big leagues," Bruce said. "No matter what, it's where I'm used to hitting. Obviously, with Ken being here, there was no question over who was batting third."

But Baker said Bruce is not being given the No. 3 spot.

"We've got to win ballgames," Baker said. "We'll see. I talked to (Bruce) about hitting third, about what I require a third hitter to do. Without taking away his aggressiveness, sometimes be more selective at the plate. He's batted third most of his life."
    ""

While I think that Bruce should be batting Third - at SOME POINT - this is a little premature. But, why does that surprise me at all?!?!

Votto is having as "good" of a year as BP stat-line wise, so let's not "develop" him by giving him a cushy lineup position.

Our 5th place hitter, being wasted with lack of people in front of him, as he would have probably 20+ more RBI if he were batting in BP's spot.

The only saving grace, for now, is that this was against a lefty starter.
    Can't wait to see what our everyday lineup is against LHP.
    I'm guessing exactly the same.

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The Start of a new ERA - DUHsty adds to his Lineup "Requirements"...

I agree and said it in another thread. I think it is premature to stick a young 21 year old in the #3 hole. Votto has slightly more time in the majors than Jay, and I think Joey has a little more plate discipline at this point. I would stick Votto in the 3 hole. And I agree that many are so hyped up about Bruce that Votto often becomes an afterthought.

Bruce has struck out 60 times in 225 at bats (58 games) and only walked 16 times with an OBP of .318. Not good for the 3 hole.

Votto has struck out 75 times in 357 at bats (105 games) and walked 37 times with an OBP of .343.

or, they could just put the major league leader in walks and homeruns in the 3 hole and let him do his thing.

I also agree that Dunn should be batting third or fourth with is OBP. If he K's, so what. He's on base enough to cause problems and make up for the K's.

It is about looking toward the future. I think it is a good sign that the Reds are making decisions based on building for next year and beyond. While you want to win every game this year, the rest of this season doesn't matter nearly as much what is best for next year.
    The Reds have been lacking a real #3 hitter for awhile, in fact I think that is what this team needs the most. Why not see if Bruce can be that guy for next year. If he doesn't do well, then that means the Reds should try to get one for next year.

And by the way, this is Walt's move too, not just Dusty's. Walt talked about it in the pre game show last night.

So why didn't Dusty have this conversation about being more selective while Bruce was batting leadoff? A leadoff batter doesn't need to be as selective as a number three hitter?

Quote Originally Posted by CesarGeronimo View Post
    So why didn't Dusty have this conversation about being more selective while Bruce was batting leadoff? A leadoff batter doesn't need to be as selective as a number three hitter?
    Because he's an idiot.

Turn Off Ads?