Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Chris Valaika: Future second baseman?

Chris Valaika: Future second baseman?

Not surprising considering most of us have said Valaika's future is at second base.

This is from the Billings Gazette blogs:

Stayed late at the office today so donít have many pregame notes. Sports editor Mike Zimmer was telling me today though that Reds director of player development Terry Reynolds was on XM Radio today talking pretty glowingly about Chris Valaika (Mustangs, 2006), Todd Frazier (í07), Neftali Soto (in Billings this year before being promoted to Dayton) as well as Juan Francisco (9 games in Ď06). According to Zimmer, Reynolds said Valaika and Frazier, who both played shortstop in Billings, are projected to move to the right side of the diamond sometime in the future; Valaika to second base and Frazier to first base.

http://www.billingsgazette.net/h/blogs/mustangs/
    I miss Adam Dunn.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

Re: Chris Valaika: Future second baseman?

I'm more intrigued by Frazier being destined for first base. I always thought left field would be his place. Maybe Dunn will leave and Votto goes to left? I doubt it, but I guess anything's possible.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Not surprising considering most of us have said Valaika's future is at second base.

This is from the Billings Gazette blogs:

Stayed late at the office today so donít have many pregame notes. Sports editor Mike Zimmer was telling me today though that Reds director of player development Terry Reynolds was on XM Radio today talking pretty glowingly about Chris Valaika (Mustangs, 2006), Todd Frazier (í07), Neftali Soto (in Billings this year before being promoted to Dayton) as well as Juan Francisco (9 games in Ď06). According to Zimmer, Reynolds said Valaika and Frazier, who both played shortstop in Billings, are projected to move to the right side of the diamond sometime in the future; Valaika to second base and Frazier to first base.

http://www.billingsgazette.net/h/blogs/mustangs/
    That doesn't make any sense. Yonder Alonzo is going to be the REDS' 1st Basemen and he'll start at 1st Base before Frazier gets to start at 1st Base.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    I'm more intrigued by Frazier being destined for first base. I always thought left field would be his place. Maybe Dunn will leave and Votto goes to left? I doubt it, but I guess anything's possible.
    I think Yonder Alonso is destined for first base with either Todd Frazier or Neftali Soto at third base. The lesser defensive player of those two probably moves to left field again creating a log jam with Votto.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

I think Yonder Alonso is destined for first base with either Todd Frazier or Neftali Soto at third base. The lesser defensive player of those two probably moves to left field again creating a log jam with Votto.
    That's what I was thinking all along, but assuming Reynolds is speaking the truth, I really wonder what the Reds' plan is.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    That doesn't make any sense. Yonder Alonzo is going to be the REDS' 1st Basemen and he'll start at 1st Base before Frazier gets to start at 1st Base.
    Don't count your chickens before they hatch. I think Yonder will sign, but why would the farm director talk like he has if he may not be in the plans?

Frazier to 1B is the bigger news to me. As a guy who came up playing SS, I'd have to think he is good enough to stick defensively at 3B or a corner OF slot.

Quote Originally Posted by SMcGavin View Post
    Frazier to 1B is the bigger news to me. As a guy who came up playing SS, I'd have to think he is good enough to stick defensively at 3B or a corner OF slot.
    He's a big dude, but he could play 3B. My guess is this means they may want EdE there for a while. Frazier could be in the bigs in less than 2 years and 3B may not be open.

I figured that Soto would eventually be the Shortstop if he pushes Valaika enough. I hope Brandon Phillips isn't going anywhere and that three years from now, they resign him again.

They need to move Brandon to SS and start next year with Kepp at 2nd till Valaika gets enough AB's at AAA then bring him up.

Quote Originally Posted by redhawk61 View Post
    They need to move Brandon to SS and start next year with Kepp at 2nd till Valaika gets enough AB's at AAA then bring him up.
    that is a plan. plus the kid we got in the Jr trade hits lefty and can play 2b. maybe a platoon of Kep/Richar at 2b to start 2009?

Quote Originally Posted by SMcGavin View Post
    MUCH bigger, I agree. Trade title should be altered.

I do note that Frazier played SS last night. I expect that he'll be in a lot of infield positions next year, too-- UNLESS Dunn doesn't sign, in which case I'm expecting OF time.

Reds probably hope to sign Dunn to a 4-5 year deal, and Bruce is in RF for the next 5 years, so LF and RF are occupied. that leaves first or third. Votto's cheaper-- I'd expect that they'd keep him (until Alonso is ready) and move EdE if they like Frazier there. But maybe the Reds are thinking the other way-- move Votto, keep EdE.

that might leave a Frazier/Dorn semi-platoon to serve as a very productive first base placeholder until Alonso arrives (if he even signs). if Alonso pushes Frazier off the bag, Frazier can then do the Rich Aurilia thing and play a lot of places.

Quote Originally Posted by princeton View Post
    MUCH bigger, I agree. Trade title should be altered.

I do note that Frazier played SS last night. I expect that he'll be in a lot of infield positions next year, too-- UNLESS Dunn doesn't sign, in which case I'm expecting OF time.

Reds probably hope to sign Dunn to a 4-5 year deal, and Bruce is in RF for the next 5 years, so LF and RF are occupied. that leaves first or third. Votto's cheaper-- I'd expect that they'd keep him (until Alonso is ready) and move EdE if they like Frazier there. But maybe the Reds are thinking the other way-- move Votto, keep EdE.

that might leave a Frazier/Dorn semi-platoon to serve as a very productive first base placeholder until Alonso arrives (if he even signs). if Alonso pushes Frazier off the bag, Frazier can then do the Rich Aurilia thing and play a lot of places.
    There also could be a scenario where either or both or traded to fill gaps elsewhere (SS, C, CF, P etc). Walt, unlike previous regimes, is not scared to move prospects to fill holes.

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    Walt, unlike previous regimes, is not scared to move prospects to fill holes.
    Walt would have dealt Bruce for Bedard?

yikes

Quote Originally Posted by princeton View Post
    Votto's cheaper-- I'd expect that they'd keep him (until Alonso is ready) and move EdE if they like Frazier there.
    This would be my preferred route. I feel like a guy with Frazier's background would be a bit wasted at 1B. Plus Frazier to 3B might solve our current defensive problem there, and we already have a decent defender at 1B in Votto. I will agree though, if Dunn does not get resigned, we will probably see at lot of Frazier in LF next year at AA/AAA.

Turn Off Ads?