Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Chris Valaika: Future second baseman?

Re: Chris Valaika: Future second baseman?

Quote Originally Posted by SMcGavin View Post
    Valaika since Billings
    Dayton: 307/353/493 - 846 OPS
    Sarasota: 295/341/429 - 770 OPS
    Chattanooga: 297/348/439 - 787 OPS

For comparison's sake, everyone's favorite bust who supposedly can't hit a lick:
    Dayton: 270/364/421 - 785 OPS
    Sarasota: 261/366/406 - 772 OPS
    Chattanooga: 323/417/387 - 804 OPS

Valaika turns 23 next week, if you see a major league starter in those numbers you must be looking at something different than me. Not saying he can't improve and make it, but he's not the kind of guy you clear out a spot for in your future plans (as opposed to a Frazier or Alonso).
    I'm with you. BP recently added a feature that takes a guy's current stats and projects him as a major leaguer now and at his peak (age 27). Vailaka's now numbers based on his AA season - .261/.304/.401/.705. HIs peak numbers look a little better at .281/.333/.438/.771. IMO he'd need to be Pokey Reese on defense to be more than a stopgap player. I suspect he'll be more powerful/less speedy (and hopefully a lot smarter) version of Ryan Freel. Which is ok while its cheap. He may end up a regular for a few years in a Ronnie Belliard kind of way (better comp than Young I think but Belliard had better OBP skills in the minors).

One thing that really struck me was Valaika's showing last fall in the Hawaiin league. He really struggled and didn't draw his first walk until well into the season. The Hawaiin league isn't a real high level league, but team's seem to put players there that at least have some reason for being interesting. It really made me wonder if Valaika will really struggle as he moves up the ladder and sees fewer "ham and eggers" on the mound.

I think Valaika's a 'tweener with not enough glove to justify his bat. He's having a decent year, but he's a guy I'd definitely shop in a prospects for player(s) deal.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Scouts seem to love Valaika's bat. There was a piece on Valaika from BP a few months back where scouts told Kevin Goldstein they thought Valaika's bat could play anywhere on the diamond, including a corner outfield spot. They could be wrong but I agree that he's going to be a good hitter. He was crushing the ball in AA up until a week and a half ago. A recent slump doesn't chance my opinion of him.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Scouts seem to love Valaika's bat. There was a piece on Valaika from BP a few months back where scouts told Kevin Goldstein they thought Valaika's bat could play anywhere on the diamond, including a corner outfield spot. They could be wrong but I agree that he's going to be a good hitter. He was crushing the ball in AA up until a week and a half ago. A recent slump doesn't chance my opinion of him.
    All the more reason that he may be desirable on the market. Given the numbers, I'd let some one else take the gamble that he'll exceed what the numbers are showing.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I'm with you. BP recently added a feature that takes a guy's current stats and projects him as a major leaguer now and at his peak (age 27). Vailaka's now numbers based on his AA season - .261/.304/.401/.705. HIs peak numbers look a little better at .281/.333/.438/.771. IMO he'd need to be Pokey Reese on defense to be more than a stopgap player.
    An OPS of .771 with solid defense at a middle-infield position would make him more than a stopgap. Based on stats as of today, that would put him ninth among MLB second basemen (just behind Brandon Phillips) or tied for sixth among shortstops.

I will agree that his bat needs to be good because his defense projects as solid but not exceptional.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    All the more reason that he may be desirable on the market. Given the numbers, I'd let some one else take the gamble that he'll exceed what the numbers are showing.
    Completely agree. If someone thinks he's a surefire MLB starter, let's make a deal.

And Valaika's bat profiling as a MLB corner outfielder is drink-the-kool-aid crazy.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by redhawk61 View Post
    They need to move Brandon to SS and start next year with Kepp at 2nd till Valaika gets enough AB's at AAA then bring him up.
    I fully support that plan. In fact, I'd like to go one further. Get Adam Rosales up here and plant him down at third. If Dunner re-signs...then move Edwin. If he opts for free agency...move Edwin to first (negates his throwing woes) and Votto to LF (this'll have to be done eventually...and I'd rather do it sooner than later).

1B-Edwin
    2B-Kepp...until Valaika's ready
    SS-Phillips
    3B-Rosales
    LF-Votto
    CF-Dickerson
    RF-Bruce
    C-Hannigan
    Dunn Free Agent

If Dunner stays....

1B-Votto
    2B-Kepp/Valaika
    SS-Phillips
    3B-Rosales
    LF-Dunn
    CF-Dickerson
    RF-Bruce
    C-Hannigan
    Edwin traded

I listened to Terry Reynolds interview with John Sickles on XM Friday and I don't recall him saying Frazier was moving to 1st. I just remember him saying something like they were going to let him play off the position and that he's a good athlete that could handle many positions.

Quote Originally Posted by Nasty_Boy View Post
    I listened to Terry Reynolds interview with John Sickles on XM Friday and I don't recall him saying Frazier was moving to 1st. I just remember him saying something like they were going to let him play off the position and that he's a good athlete that could handle many positions.
    the Reds need to promote Frazier's bat

if his glove is keeping him in A ball, then they either need to ignore the glove for now, or move him to a position where it won't bother them.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nasty_Boy View Post
    Unfortunately thats probably one of the reasons the Reds have such a terrible defense.... they play so many guys that are 'athletic' play positions that they just can't play.

lets trade cordero for chase utley the philles need a closer and we need a futur seconbasman who cud be chase utly

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Unfortunately thats probably one of the reasons the Reds have such a terrible defense.... they play so many guys that are 'athletic' play positions that they just can't play.

Exactly. I want "players".

Bleeding Red in the South SoTxRedsFan's Avatar

You guys think Valaika could be ready sometime next season to play 2B for the big squad?

Quote Originally Posted by SoTxRedsFan View Post
    You guys think Valaika could be ready sometime next season to play 2B for the big squad?
    Yeah but how is he going to get pt with Phillips there...Unless you play one of them at SS...

Bleeding Red in the South SoTxRedsFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by crazyredfan40 View Post
    Yeah but how is he going to get pt with Phillips there...Unless you play one of them at SS...
    Yeah, I'm just hoping that the Reds end up moving BP to SS after this season.

Chris Valaika: 2B or SS?

Question for those who follow the minor leagues. Can Valaika play SS?
    For example is a 2010 infield of Alonso-Phillips-Valaika-EE going to cut it defensively?
    IMO EE could improve but he is never going to be Scott Rolen at 3B. If Valaika projects to be a subpar defensive SS then we will have problems.

If Valaika is going to be a second baseman in the bigs then I would like Jocketty to shop either him or Phillips this offseason. I suspect Phillips has more value now than he will this time next year. He did not have a good year at the plate this year. If Valaika struggles in AAA his trade value plummets ( see one Homer Bailey ). So maybe the time to decide is now.

Thoughts?

Turn Off Ads?