Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 35

Thread: Hairston Hurt (Again)

  1. #1
    Worst Behavior. reds44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    24,891

    Hairston Hurt (Again)

    Jeff Keppinger SS
    Joey Votto 1B
    Jay Bruce RF
    Brandon Phillips 2B
    Adam Dunn LF
    Edwin Encarnacion 3B
    Corey Patterson CF
    Paul Bako C
    Josh Fogg P

    Jerrry Hairston looked like he was favoring hisw hamstring when he went after a ball late in last night's game. Dusty Baker said he was going to check with Hairston. I completely forgot to write it after the game. I'll update after we talk to Baker.
    From Fay.
    "The guy I think could be really good in center is Adam Dunn. If someone asked me if Dunn could be a center fielder for the next 10 years, if he started working on it, no one could explain to me why he couldn’t do it." - Brad Kullman

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Rainelle, WV
    Posts
    7,948

    Re: Hairston Hurt (Again)

    Ah yes. Hairston gets hurt and who shows up in CF? Patterson. Leave the man with his toys and he'll use them. At least he's batting 7th just before his pitiful sidekick Bako.

    Fogg on the mound, Patterson in center, and Bako behind the plate. Looks like it's going to be a 6 on 9 game tonight.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

  4. #3
    Member Spring~Fields's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    8,630

    Re: Hairston Hurt (Again)

    Risky move to have him running around center with a history of leg injuries. Dusty went against his own theories this time.

  5. #4
    Member OnBaseMachine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    34,839

    Re: Hairston Hurt (Again)

    I LOVE Joey Votto in the second slot. This is long overdue IMO. My only gripe is Phillips and Dunn should be flip flopped.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

  6. #5
    Member OnBaseMachine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    34,839

    Re: Hairston Hurt (Again)

    From Paul Daugherty:

    Anyone Else Notice and What Does It Matter?
    Posted 8/2/2008 9:41 AM EDT on Cincinnati.com

    J. Hairston (or if you're G. Grande, "J. Harris-ton'') grabs the back of his leg about 60 feet down the 1st base line trying to beat out a roller... pulls up, runs half-speed the rest of the way... guy just coming off the DL w/a hamstring... jogs gingerly back to the dugout... nobody says a thing.

    Dusty stares straight ahead at the field... didnt he notice Harris-ton running right in front of him, down the line? No teammate approaches Hairston, no trainer. Obvious he tweaked it, obvious he's important to the club.

    Not sure what this means. It just struck me as strange, and, maybe, symbolic of this team's lackadaisical approach.

    http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs...cincinnati.com
    I miss Adam Dunn.

  7. #6
    RaisorZone Raisor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Charlotte, Nc
    Posts
    14,400

    Re: Hairston Hurt (Again)

    The problem with flip flopping Phillips and Dunn is that I'd bet that the GIDPs would got through the roof.

    I've said it before, but OBP problems or not, Phillips should be leading off.
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

  8. #7
    Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    15,744

    Re: Hairston Hurt (Again)

    Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    Ah yes. Hairston gets hurt and who shows up in CF? Patterson. Leave the man with his toys and he'll use them. At least he's batting 7th just before his pitiful sidekick Bako.

    Fogg on the mound, Patterson in center, and Bako behind the plate. Looks like it's going to be a 6 on 9 game tonight.
    Looking at the depth chart, Dusty doesn't exactly have many options. Would you rather Andy Phillips in RF and Bruce in CF? I'm certainly no Patterson fan, but I'd take him in CF over Phillips in RF.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

  9. #8
    Member The Baumer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,295

    Re: Hairston Hurt (Again)

    Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    From Paul Daugherty:

    Anyone Else Notice and What Does It Matter?
    Posted 8/2/2008 9:41 AM EDT on Cincinnati.com

    J. Hairston (or if you're G. Grande, "J. Harris-ton'') grabs the back of his leg about 60 feet down the 1st base line trying to beat out a roller... pulls up, runs half-speed the rest of the way... guy just coming off the DL w/a hamstring... jogs gingerly back to the dugout... nobody says a thing.

    Dusty stares straight ahead at the field... didnt he notice Harris-ton running right in front of him, down the line? No teammate approaches Hairston, no trainer. Obvious he tweaked it, obvious he's important to the club.

    Not sure what this means. It just struck me as strange, and, maybe, symbolic of this team's lackadaisical approach.

    http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs...cincinnati.com
    There was also that figure on the grassy knoll. Surprised no one noticed that.

  10. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    12,777

    Re: Hairston Hurt (Again)

    At this point in the season I would expect that Jocketty is fully in control of the roster, not Baker. So if Patterson is the backup centerfielder, that's Walt's decision and it's obvious that Dusty would now use him. Without Griffey and with Hairston hurt there aren't that many outfielders, let alone centerfielders.

    Those hamstrings are murderous injuries in sports, they can linger and linger. Too bad but you'd have to guess that Hairston will miss some more time.

    It's basically 2009, if not 2010 right now anyway for the Reds.

  11. #10
    Redsmetz redsmetz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Winton Place
    Posts
    11,040

    Re: Hairston Hurt (Again)

    Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    At this point in the season I would expect that Jocketty is fully in control of the roster, not Baker. So if Patterson is the backup centerfielder, that's Walt's decision and it's obvious that Dusty would now use him. Without Griffey and with Hairston hurt there aren't that many outfielders, let alone centerfielders.

    Those hamstrings are murderous injuries in sports, they can linger and linger. Too bad but you'd have to guess that Hairston will miss some more time.

    It's basically 2009, if not 2010 right now anyway for the Reds.
    It would seem to me that the roster is almost always more of the GM's doing than the field managers. And whoever mentioned earlier that Patterson (particularly for fielding) is next in the depth chart, he's the logical one to start. It's got nothing to do, as an earlier post suggested, with Dusty playing with the toys because he's got them. Baker clearly relegated Patterson to a back up/late inning defensive replacement role through all of July. He only got two starts the whole time. Why must something always be nefarious viz Baker?
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

    The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things, that's Rallyonion.com

    The Baseball Bookstore

    http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

  12. #11
    Worst Behavior. reds44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    24,891

    Re: Hairston Hurt (Again)

    More from Fay
    Jerry Hairston Jr. is indeed hurting. Hairston will be out of the lineup the next two days. He'll be re-evaluated Monday. Going back on the DL is a possibility.

    "We'll see how he is early in the week," Dusty Baker said. "We'll made a decision. I hate to waste that DL time. He said he was ready. We couldn't really see him from that distance. I was a little shocked when I saw him go after that flyball."

    Hairston is sure how to describe it but he's clearly not 100 percent.

    "I don't know if 'hurt' is the word," he said. "More cautious. . . you want to err on the side of caution."

    Hairston felt something in his hamstring while running to first base on his last at-bat.

    "It's one of those things where I'm protecting it a little bit," he said. "There's those who say with a hamstring to sit on your butt two weeks and do nothing. Sometimes that's not good. Hopefully, it's just a strength issue. I felt it cramp a little bit. It didn't feel like it did in Milwaukee. I've got to get over the hump."

    If Hairston goes back on the DL -- I agree with commenters to previous post -- bring up Chris Dickerson. Playing Corey Patterson when he won't be back next year, doesn't make sense.
    So we get Corey Patterson the next two days. Yay
    "The guy I think could be really good in center is Adam Dunn. If someone asked me if Dunn could be a center fielder for the next 10 years, if he started working on it, no one could explain to me why he couldn’t do it." - Brad Kullman

  13. #12
    Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Rainelle, WV
    Posts
    7,948

    Re: Hairston Hurt (Again)

    Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    It would seem to me that the roster is almost always more of the GM's doing than the field managers. And whoever mentioned earlier that Patterson (particularly for fielding) is next in the depth chart, he's the logical one to start. It's got nothing to do, as an earlier post suggested, with Dusty playing with the toys because he's got them. Baker clearly relegated Patterson to a back up/late inning defensive replacement role through all of July. He only got two starts the whole time. Why must something always be nefarious viz Baker?
    Said in jest (forgot the smiley). That said, you do have to wonder what this team is going to do with the outfield. We once had a massie number of outfielders and now we're down to 4, 2 of of them automatic outs. Maybe it is time to bring up Dickerson, I don't know. What I do know is that it's frustrting to watch Patterson come up to the plate in games and swing at the first pitch and make an out or swing three times without contact.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

  14. #13
    Redsmetz redsmetz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Winton Place
    Posts
    11,040

    Re: Hairston Hurt (Again)

    Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    Said in jest (forgot the smiley). That said, you do have to wonder what this team is going to do with the outfield. We once had a massie number of outfielders and now we're down to 4, 2 of of them automatic outs. Maybe it is time to bring up Dickerson, I don't know. What I do know is that it's frustrting to watch Patterson come up to the plate in games and swing at the first pitch and make an out or swing three times without contact.
    Fair enough. My oldest daughter was in Atlanta on business when the trade came down and she wasn't aware that Hairston was being called back up. She called me and asked if Patterson was going to start. I told her Hairston was back up and he was starting. She was greatly relieved and said she didn't want to Patterson starting at all!

    I would expect that if Hairston goes back on the DL, that Dickerson will probably get a look. I've liked what Dusty's done with Patterson in July.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

    The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things, that's Rallyonion.com

    The Baseball Bookstore

    http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

  15. #14
    Member OnBaseMachine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    34,839

    Re: Hairston Hurt (Again)

    Hairston can't stay healthy. Please call up Chris Dickerson and let him have the center field job the rest of the season.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

  16. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    1,381

    Re: Hairston Hurt (Again)

    I think that Cabrera played some OF in ST and in the minors.

    Might be a RF option against southpaws.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25