Turn Off Ads?

Thread: ? for wavier players

? for wavier players

If a guy is put on waivers, and is claimed, you have 47 hours to work a trade with that team. You can also let that team have him and his contract. You can also pull him back, which brings the question. If you pull a player back from waivers because you don't want to let him go and don't like the trade, can you put him back on waivers again another day?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: ? for wavier players

Nope.

I always hear the story about how an aging Randy Myers was about to be traded and the Padres claimed him to block the trade. Then the team was like, "oh really? you can have him then" and the Padres got stuck with the remainer of his contract. That's gotta be one of the worst baseball moves I've heard of, I bet the GM at the time was crying in his sleep.

Ha. I remeber that. I would like to know how a conversation with an owner would go when you just spent 7 to 12 Million dollars of his money without permission.

GM -"Great news sir, we just acquired Randy Myers"

Owner - "Ok? Did we really need a 40 year old closer with a 5 era? What did we give up for him?"

GM - "Nothing. We claimed him off waivers"

Owner - "Waivers? As in we get his WHOLE contract waivers?"

Gm -"Ummm... It worked for Jim Bowden??"

Owner - "You might want to make a call and see if Leather pants has a job for you"

He sure could hit HalMorrisRules's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thorn View Post
    If a guy is put on waivers, and is claimed, you have 47 hours to work a trade with that team. You can also let that team have him and his contract. You can also pull him back, which brings the question. If you pull a player back from waivers because you don't want to let him go and don't like the trade, can you put him back on waivers again another day?
    This was in Keith Law's column about waiver transactions.

[QUOTE]We've now entered a new waiver period in Major League Baseball, one in which a player's contract may not be assigned to another team unless he first clears major league (revocable) waivers. Players already have begun clearing waivers. Example: A player placed on waivers on Wednesday and not claimed (within two business days) would have cleared on Friday and thus would be eligible to be traded in this period. A player who is claimed on waivers may be pulled back by his current team. The team may place him on waivers a second time to get him through, but the waivers become irrevocable and the player will be assigned to the claiming team.

Keith Law

Quote Originally Posted by nemesis View Post
    Ha. I remeber that. I would like to know how a conversation with an owner would go when you just spent 7 to 12 Million dollars of his money without permission.

GM -"Great news sir, we just acquired Randy Myers"

Owner - "Ok? Did we really need a 40 year old closer with a 5 era? What did we give up for him?"

GM - "Nothing. We claimed him off waivers"

Owner - "Waivers? As in we get his WHOLE contract waivers?"

Gm -"Ummm... It worked for Jim Bowden??"

Owner - "You might want to make a call and see if Leather pants has a job for you"
    Oh man, it's even worse that reading about it. He only played in a few games with the Padres in 98, only 14.3 IP, and had like a 6.28 ERA or something. THEN they were on the hook for his 1999 and 2000 contract. Overall, I don't know how much he was due al lthose years, but likely around $15 mil. The Padres got off the hook somewhat with Lloyds of London insurance, and took them to court and won nearly $12 mil back out of it, so it cut down on the sting of it all.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports...30padside.html

[QUOTE=HalMorrisRules;1709099]This was in Keith Law's column about waiver transactions.

We've now entered a new waiver period in Major League Baseball, one in which a player's contract may not be assigned to another team unless he first clears major league (revocable) waivers. Players already have begun clearing waivers. Example: A player placed on waivers on Wednesday and not claimed (within two business days) would have cleared on Friday and thus would be eligible to be traded in this period. A player who is claimed on waivers may be pulled back by his current team. The team may place him on waivers a second time to get him through, but the waivers become irrevocable and the player will be assigned to the claiming team.

Keith Law

Thanks, I think this is going to make it very difficult to get Dunn traded via waivers, not that I think they should, just saying, unless he clears waivers, which I doubt he would. I only say this as ESPN this morning was speculating on what wavier trades may happen and they mentioned Dunn and the Rays, seems like that is highly unlikely.

Turn Off Ads?