Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Griffey says good-bye, thanks, I'm sorry

Griffey says good-bye, thanks, I'm sorry

Posted by JohnFay at 8/2/2008 6:19 PM EDT on Cincinnati.com

Ken Griffey Jr. released this through the Reds:

I would like to thank the Cincinnati Reds organization for allowing me to fulfill a lifelong dream of playing for my hometown team. I will always value the lasting friendships I have with the Lindner, Castellini and Williams families.

While my nine seasons there were filled with personal highlights - like hitting my 400th, 500th and 600th home runs in a Reds uniform - and the negatives of having to fight through too many injuries, my biggest regret is that we were not able to win a world championship while I was there.

I also would like to thank my many teammates, managers, coaches and Reds employees for their help and support and to acknowledge the many friendly relationships I had with most of the members of the local media. I will miss the banter.

Last, but certainly not least, I would like to thank Reds fans for their support. I really do understand that the overwhelming majority of fans wanted so badly for me to succeed. Additionally, I would like to sincerely apologize to those fans offended by my wrongful actions last Saturday night. It was an overreaction on my part to what I felt was a series of public inaccurate and unfair remarks about me.

I wish nothing but success for the Reds both on and off the field.

Sincerely,

Ken Griffey Jr.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Griffey says good-bye, thanks, I'm sorry

I wish him luck, I'll be rooting for the White Sox in the playoffs most likely.

It just seems wierd not having on the field. I wish his time here would have been better for both the Reds and for him and I wish him nothing but the best and have become a Sox fan for the rest of the year.
    I was in the ORG once, best 6 months of my life.

One word somes that up...classy. We all make mistakes, say things or do things we shouldn't, and we are sorry for them. It just so happens we don't do it with thousands of eyes watching.

Sums it up perfectly and as a final of many other class acts from Junior.

Humble actions like apologizing always bring me to forgiveness and make me feel better about that person. He's human. He made a mistake. And now he acknowledged it, which makes me feel better about Ken Griffey Jr.

I wish him nothing but the best. Classy statement by Junior. Well done.
    Who's on first?

I feel like watching the Reds is going to be weird the rest of the season, hopefully they quickly let me forget he is gone, Jay Bruce going 2-2 tonight is starting to help.

I went to dinner with my 11 year old and 13 year old daughters tonight and the Reds game was on the TV in the restaurant. They asked me when Ken Griffey Junior was going to bat and I told them he was traded. My 13 year old started crying.

Oops.
    Who's on first?

Ugh. Pathetic
    @#$% my @#$%^*&

Quote Originally Posted by schmidty622 View Post
    Ugh. Pathetic
    Thanking people and apologizing is pathetic? I think it was a very nice gesture on his part. I hope he does well in Chicago and finally gets a shot at a World Series ring.

Class act, we will miss him!

The city is excited to have him here. As am I

I am not your average Griffey fan. He is my favorite ATHLETE of all time. And i don't post that often, but let me explain what i mean.

I grew up in Spokane, Washington. i am 46 yrs old. At the time that i started to love baseball the Mariners we not around yet. So as kids, we all had to adopt teams. Mine was the Reds of course. I became a fan in 1970 during the world series they lost to Baltimore. I loved the big Red machine.
    And one of my favorite players was Senior.

I moved away from Washington, but then moved back after i was married in 1990. Just in time to see JR start his brilliant career. I was blessed as not many were back then, to watch him play every day in his prime.I have watched many, many games and players over the years, and he is the best i have ever seen. During a typical 3 game series you would see him do something truly special.
    Make a great catch, throw a runner out, clutch hit or monster bomb....maybe all of the above if he was on his game. They had some bad teams in the early 90's, but i couldn't wait to see what JR would do.I was a true fan.

Then in 1999 i moved to Chicago....and JR was traded to my Reds...wow...this was something. Of course we all know what happened. But i bought the MLB ticket every year just to watch my Reds with Jr....it still was one of the coolest things in the world seeing him in that Reds uniform.I also went to Wrigley and watched them when i could get tickets. I feel they just didn't put enough good players around him, even when he was healthy.

I now live 3 blocks from U.S cellular field, I mean literally my back yard. I can see the upper deck from my back porch. In this town you have to root for one team. And i chose the White Sox way back in 99. I love baseball so i follow the team pretty close. I even converted alot of my co workers and friends into Reds followers. (The White Sox fans anyway) And now it seems to have come full circle for this Reds fan anyway. To have him play here with the Sox is just a fitting way to end his career, And to give this baseball fan some excitement.
    Lord knows we haven't had much as Reds fans over the last 9 yrs. The Reds will always be my #1 along with JR. I hope he can get one last shot at winning it all. Isn't that what the all time greats are suppose to have, a shot?
    Reds fan since 1970

Quote Originally Posted by RedsFanInMobile View Post
    Thanking people and apologizing is pathetic? I think it was a very nice gesture on his part. I hope he does well in Chicago and finally gets a shot at a World Series ring.
    Please don't quote schmidty. I have him on ignore and can't see what he says, and as Brandon Phillips would say, "it's a beautiful thing".:

Of course it was a nice gesture. But not surprisingly, I wouldn't expect the people who are just around to stir the pot or the ones who seem to have an irrational and unhealthy near hatred of Junior to actually admit that it was classy or a nice gesture. Doing that would mean giving him credit for something, which means that in some ways they were wrong, and whether they are just trolls or whether they're really that far gone mentally, that is just too much for them to admit to. No big deal... Griffey will continue to be a winner in more ways than can be measured by wins and losses on a baseball field, or any personal statistics I'm sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Chi-Town Red View Post
    The city is excited to have him here. As am I

I am not your average Griffey fan. He is my favorite ATHLETE of all time. And i don't post that often, but let me explain what i mean.

I grew up in Spokane, Washington. i am 46 yrs old. At the time that i started to love baseball the Mariners we not around yet. So as kids, we all had to adopt teams. Mine was the Reds of course. I became a fan in 1970 during the world series they lost to Baltimore. I loved the big Red machine.
    And one of my favorite players was Senior.

I moved away from Washington, but then moved back after i was married in 1990. Just in time to see JR start his brilliant career. I was blessed as not many were back then, to watch him play every day in his prime.I have watched many, many games and players over the years, and he is the best i have ever seen. During a typical 3 game series you would see him do something truly special.
    Make a great catch, throw a runner out, clutch hit or monster bomb....maybe all of the above if he was on his game. They had some bad teams in the early 90's, but i couldn't wait to see what JR would do.I was a true fan.

Then in 1999 i moved to Chicago....and JR was traded to my Reds...wow...this was something. Of course we all know what happened. But i bought the MLB ticket every year just to watch my Reds with Jr....it still was one of the coolest things in the world seeing him in that Reds uniform.I also went to Wrigley and watched them when i could get tickets. I feel they just didn't put enough good players around him, even when he was healthy.

I now live 3 blocks from U.S cellular field, I mean literally my back yard. I can see the upper deck from my back porch. In this town you have to root for one team. And i chose the White Sox way back in 99. I love baseball so i follow the team pretty close. I even converted alot of my co workers and friends into Reds followers. (The White Sox fans anyway) And now it seems to have come full circle for this Reds fan anyway. To have him play here with the Sox is just a fitting way to end his career, And to give this baseball fan some excitement.
    Lord knows we haven't had much as Reds fans over the last 9 yrs. The Reds will always be my #1 along with JR. I hope he can get one last shot at winning it all. Isn't that what the all time greats are suppose to have, a shot?
    That is awesome for you! Quite a ride!

Enjoy, and root on Junior for me!! The guy deserves a shot at a ring for sure, since the Reds really didn't do anything to put any talent around him to give us a legit shot at anything.

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

Old Red Guard Reject

Good luck Chi Town, we'll be rooting for the Sox and Griffey as well. I have to admit, I got quite choked up the other night when they showed the Griffey highlight reel on FSN. I mean, the early days with the Reds and in his prime with the M's, I realized that this could be the greatest baseball player I will watch in my lifetime. The athleticism, the bat speed with a perfect swing, the Superman defense in center.......it will be something to tell grandkids about. Good luck Junior...I hope you get that ring this year.
    If you ain't first, you're last! - Ricky Bobby

Turn Off Ads?