Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Griffey's Letter to Reds Fans

Griffey's Letter to Reds Fans

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/...=.jsp&c_id=cin

WASHINGTON -- Ken Griffey Jr. didn't have a chance to say goodbye to the Cincinnati public, after he was traded to the White Sox on Thursday while the Reds were on the road and enjoying an off-day.

On Saturday, Griffey wrote a letter of thanks that showed appreciation and some regret and offered an apology for his part in an incident during what proved to be his final homestand.

"I would like to thank the Cincinnati Reds organization for allowing me to fulfill a lifelong dream of playing for my hometown team," Griffey wrote. "I will always value the lasting friendships I have with the Lindner, Castellini and Williams families. While my nine seasons there were filled with personal highlights -- like hitting my 400th, 500th and 600th home runs in a Reds uniform -- and the negatives of having to fight through too many injuries, my biggest regret is that we were not able to win a World [Series] championship while I was there."

Griffey had a sometimes stormy rapport with Reds fans while he played in Cincinnati from 2000-08. It stemmed from frustration over seven straight losing seasons in which fans often blamed Griffey because he missed significant time with several injuries.

"Last, but certainly not least, I would like to thank Reds fans for their support," Griffey said. "I really do understand that the overwhelming majority of fans wanted so badly for me to succeed."

On July 26, after hitting his second-to-last home run in a Reds uniform, Griffey made a throat-slashing gesture and was seen swearing towards the Reds' radio booth and broadcaster Jeff Brantley because of comments made about him on the air.

"Additionally, I would like to sincerely apologize to those fans offended by my wrongful actions last Saturday night," Griffey said. "It was an overreaction on my part to what I felt was a series of public, inaccurate and unfair remarks about me.

"I wish nothing but success for the Reds both on and off the field."

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Re: Griffey's Letter to Reds Fans

As much as I know it was the right move to trade him... it just seems odd not having Jr. as a part of the team. Nice of him to put out the statement, even though he didn't have to do anything of the sort.

Thanks for posting this. I'm glad he found a way to say something to the fans, it's a nice letter. Also good (for most, I assume) to hear an apology for the Brantley incident. Feels more finished that way.

Quote Originally Posted by letsgojunior View Post
    "Last, but certainly not least, I would like to thank Reds fans for their support," Griffey said. "I really do understand that the overwhelming majority of fans wanted so badly for me to succeed."
    I hope it was the overwhelming majority. Doesn't seem like it most of the time. Either way, I think that's a very appropriate acknowledgment.

Classy letter. I wish Junior nothing but success both on and off the field.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Junior didn't need to do that.

But he did.

That's a touch of pure class, right there. Junior is a HoF'er, on many levels.

And I was very critical of what Griffey did after the HR, towards Brantley in the booth. Now, hopefully, Brantley will reciprocate??
    Last edited by Always Red; 08-02-2008 at 08:32 PM.
    sorry we're boring

High five!

Nice way to leave it. Thanks, Jr!

Very, very nice to see! I'm so glad to read that he truely understands that the majority of us fans were in his corner and always will be.

I went out yesterday and bought a White Sox hat that I will wear in honor of him as long as he is in the Windy City.

I, for one, will be rooting like hell for the White Sox from now until hopefully the day where Junior puts a ring on his finger!
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Very classy. Thanks again for the memories, Junior.

I'm hoping I'll be able to make the trek to Cooperstown when he gets inducted to the Hall.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

Time is the Revelator.

Go Sox.

More class then a lot of Reds fans deserved.

JR rocks.
    Go Gators!

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

I like it. It provides some much-needed damage control after the throat-slash incident.
    /r/reds

Very classy by Griff. I wish him nothing but the best in Chicago.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan30 View Post
    I went out yesterday and bought a White Sox hat that I will wear in honor of him as long as he is in the Windy City.
    That's strange, I did the same thing today. I don't guarantee I'll wear it much, but it just seemed like the thing to do. I still haven't gotten over him leaving. And I re-upped with the DirecTV package so I could watch the Chisox. I hope he tears them up in Chicago all the way to that ring.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Designated Threadkiller LincolnparkRed's Avatar

It works nicely for me, the sox are on every day out here. I just can't stand Hawk and DJ on the broadcast for the Sox. that's what mute was made for I guess.

That's the true guy Griffey was. I know the move won't hurt the Reds and it will get Bruce some much needed experience, but I will say watching the games the past 2 days has been a little bit of a downer despite seeing Bruce hit a HR each night. You can see quickly some leadership has to be reestablished with the team right now. Griffey led by example and his comments about his overreaction were not necessary, but very cool non the less. I'd like to see da cowboy do something similar.

Turn Off Ads?