Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Slow speeds on WIRED internet connection

Slow speeds on WIRED internet connection

Hi all,

I have some problems using my D-Link WBR-2310 (hardware revision A1 with the latest firmware - 1.05) router to share my internet connection between my desktop (wired) and laptop (wireless) computers. The issue is that the wired/desktop PC, running Win XP SP3, has noticeable lags using internet applications that do not occur when the same PC is connected directly to my cable modem. In particular, playing Euchre online using Yahoo's site, the game consistently freezes numerous times per game for me with each "lag" lasting up to 12-15 seconds. This does not happen playing at the same site, on the same PC when I'm connected without going through the router. At first I thought it might be an issue with the site I was playing at, but after regularly getting "yelled" at for playing slowly and seeing it happen just about every time I play when connected through the router, it's convinced me that there is some sort of performance related issue using the wired connection.

I only use my laptop/wireless connection for work-related activities, so I can't confirm if this problem also applies to that PC/connection, but I found it odd that the PC that is hard-wired to the router would suffer any performance loss. Any help on this would greatly be appreciated...thank you.

Boss

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Slow speeds on WIRED internet connection

Boss, it sounds like you've already done the hardest part and narrowed down the problem to the router itself.

Most likely, it is some type of configuration issue, however I'm not sure what that could be off the top of my head.

Does the issue happen if you try different connection ports on your router? Try hard wiring into another slot.

If that fails to resolve it, read up on router configuration. You may need to configure your router and open up some specific ports to allow it to perform properly. So you may need to get in touch with the manufacturer of your router, and/or the admin of the game site to find out what ports, if any, need to be configured in the router settings.

If all that seems like too much of a pain, you can always go purchase a new router from somewhere and test.. If it doesn't work, and the problem remains, return the new router.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

Do you have the lag when using specific applications, such as online gaming or is it happening when browsing also?

If its only with specific applications, I would check the firewall and port configuration. Most broadband routers have a built-in firewall with a variety of settings and configurations. Since the slowdown only occurs with the router and not without, I would first look at if the firewall is configured to limit programs from communicating with your computer directly. That can affect some online gaming situations. What you would need to do is set up port forwarding for each situation that you're having an issue with. On the gaming/ program site, there's sure to be a FAQ or support area that will have the info you need - it's a common problem. To access your router configuration, you can use a disk that was provided with the router (if it was), or type 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 in your browser address bar. You can then configure your ports there so that the router can forward the data it receives to your computer. There is a good website that outlines a lot of this:

http://portforward.com/ It has a lot of good info and help. I checked and your router was listed on the router list page which has model-specific instructions for setting up the port forwarding.

If the slowdown happens when browsing, I would suggest some further testing. I would run a connection speed test in a number of different setups. You can find a connection speed test on multiple good sites or go to your ISP support page - they're sure to have one. Run the connection test on the desktop plugged into the router, the desktop plugged into the cable modem, the laptop on WiFi, the laptop plugged into the router, and the laptop plugged into the cable modem. See what the differences are.

If both laptop and desktop are slower when plugged into the router, but not when plugged directly into the modem, then you definitely have a router only problem - probably configuration - and you should check the firewall configuration or perhaps try to reset it to defaults; a lot of routers will work just plugging them in with the factory defaults.

If the laptop is slower plugged in to the router than on WiFi, I would think that you have a hardware or firmware problem with the router and you might have to replace it.

If the laptop is noticeably faster than the desktop when plugged into the router, then you need to check the desktop settings to make sure they're what the router documentation suggests. Sounds like this is not likely, but definitely check it out.

If all the speeds are the same on the connection testing (upload to upload, download to download), take a look at the port forwarding issue listed up above.

Swapping it with a new router is, of course, the easiest way and probably the least aggravating. Personally, I can't stand it when I can't fix something and I'll spend WAY too long messing with it. My wife calls it obsession. I tell her its part of my charm
    I'm not cool enough to have a good signature

All,

Thank you very much for your help. I'll give some of the things listed above a try and let you know what I find. Thanks again.

see if you can turn off the firewall feature on the router. If you can, turn it off and check to see if the problem is still there.

Turn Off Ads?