Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Watchmen Trailer

Watchmen Trailer

Not sure if the movie will do the Watchmen series justice, but the trailer sure does. Here's the link to the site:

http://watchmenmovie.warnerbros.com/

If you're a comic book fan and have yet to read this 12-issue series by Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons or the graphic novel compiling the entire series, then you need to do so immediately. Do not pass go. Do not collect $200. Just go read it. I'm stunned as to how true the trailer is to the vision brought forth. Doctor Manhatten, in particular, is exactly as I envisioned on the silver screen as is Rorschach. Even the Owlship looks tremendous.

I'm waiting entirely impatiently for this film to premier.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Watchmen Trailer

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    Not sure if the movie will do the Watchmen series justice, but the trailer sure does. Here's the link to the site:

http://watchmenmovie.warnerbros.com/

If you're a comic book fan and have yet to read this 12-issue series by Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons or the graphic novel compiling the entire series, then you need to do so immediately. Do not pass go. Do not collect $200. Just go read it. I'm stunned as to how true the trailer is to the vision brought forth. Doctor Manhatten, in particular, is exactly as I envisioned on the silver screen as is Rorschach. Even the Owlship looks tremendous.

I'm waiting entirely impatiently for this film to premier.

I have a feeling people who have not read the series will be disappointed in the movie's (presumably, assuming of course that it's true to its source) lack of explosions and whatnot. I can hear it now: "Too much talkin'!"

Quote Originally Posted by pahster View Post
    I have a feeling people who have not read the series will be disappointed in the movie's (presumably, assuming of course that it's true to its source) lack of explosions and whatnot. I can hear it now: "Too much talkin'!"
    That's exactly what I liked about the series. Alan Moore is a master of dialogue. Frankly, I'm still surprised that he allowed this movie to happen without his ultimate sign-off. That being said, I think there's enough action in those 12 issues to satisfy even the most greedy viewer. It just has to be compressed into two-odd hours.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    That's exactly what I liked about the series. Alan Moore is a master of dialogue. Frankly, I'm still surprised that he allowed this movie to happen without his ultimate sign-off. That being said, I think there's enough action in those 12 issues to satisfy even the most greedy viewer. It just has to be compressed into two-odd hours.

Moore doesn't have any say, it was work for hire, and he's washed his hands of Hollywood anyway. Thankgoodness at least Gibbons has been involved.

The trailer is teh awesome. I can't believe that Kelly Leak from the Bad News Bears is freaking Rorschach

Those of you with iTunes can watch a semi-animated version of the original comic for free. It uses all the original art and dialog. It's extremely well-done. The only drawback is that there is only one actor doing the voices, and it sucks when he's doing the women's parts.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

I have a feeling this movie will be similar to V for Vendetta. Comic book movie, but with more of a message correlating with a vision of the future.

That being said, it does look good.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

I'm not really sure I like Zach Snyder as the director. Both Dawn of the Dead and 300 were all about special effects and action and that won't just work with Watchmen. Watchmen (I'm reading the graphic novel right now) isn't about superheroes with all this action rather an very well written mystery/suspense with lots of politcal connections. There's very deep story in this series, for more than anything from Dawn of the Dead and 300, and I fear Snyder won't be able to captivate it and rather turn it into another run-of-the-mill special effects superhero movie. Ofcourse, I do indeed hope Snyder can pull it off.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Moore doesn't have any say, it was work for hire, and he's washed his hands of Hollywood anyway. Thankgoodness at least Gibbons has been involved.
    You're right that Moore doesn't have any say and he has thusfar spurned Hollywood's attempts to credit and even pay him for previous offerings (V for Vendetta, Constantine). But "Watchmen" is Moore's real comic book legacy. It's nice that Gibbons is being given Moore's share of the loot, but if I'm making "Watchmen" I'd do pretty much everything I could to get Moore on-set every single day. Instead, the studio- assuming that Moore wanted nothing to do with the project- a form letter allowing Moore to take his name off the project entirely. While Moore may claim that the letter was welcome after previous debacles, that book was his baby (along with Gibbons). It wasn't just "work for hire".

I can understand why Moore, as crazy as he is, would be ticked off. Heck, the rights for "Watchmen" were supposed to be owned by Moore and Gibbons after the book went out of print. Problem was, the two created something so good that it's still in print, in graphic novel form, 20 years later. So they're offered scraps for what should be theirs and theirs alone. At this point, Moore is basically the "learned helplessness" side of the coin versus the late Jack Kirby, who fought for years over creator rights. Moore seems to have no interest in continuing that battle for whatever reason. Instead, he seems to want to play the role of "tortured artist". While that may be noble, it sure isn't moving the product forward; either in Hollywood or in print.

Alan Moore has been a whole bunch of naive in the past and that's resulted in a whole lot of laying down from him over projects and a more than goodly dose of paranoia and general grumpiness, but I have a feeling that he'd be just fine should someone ever actually ask him to have a major say in something based off his work while actually listening to him and then reward him accordingly. Instead, what we now see is a guy who simply doesn't want to be part of industries that have used him, abused him, and spit him out.

Part of the issue is, of course, Moore himself. Frank Miller could just as easily been "that guy" but instead got smart about what he was doing. But while Moore has never been able to play politics, that doesn't mean that a studio couldn't possibly ever accomodate him. And they should because what the guy produces is eons above that which Hollywood is normally capable. The proliferation of movies based on comics/graphic novels is clear evidence of how far behind the times Hollywood is from a writing standpoint. If they don't start looking to the actual creators as more than folks who'll produce your average-level movie script, they'll be sunk eventually.

There's a movie renaissance happening. I think Hollywood is scared that it's not happening internally and I don't think they have any idea how actively pursuing a guy like Alan Moore makes the product better. That's a huge shame.

The trailer is teh awesome. I can't believe that Kelly Leak from the Bad News Bears is freaking Rorschach
    That's great casting and the trailer is the RAWK!

--Ted Williams

I'm hoping the trailer is cut specifically to appeal to people who haven't read Watchmen. The beauty of the story is in the internal conflicts, not the 'splosions.

BTW - I just watched the iTunes "motion comic" again. Awesome.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Thought I'd bump this since the movie is now out.

Who's planning on seeing it this weekend? It's been getting mixed reviews, but I have tickets for tomorrow night at the local IMAX and am looking forward to it.

Quote Originally Posted by pahster View Post
    That is EXACTLY the type of review I'm seeing from people on other message boards who didn't read the series first. I've just started to read the graphic novel for the first time myself and I'm hooked. I can't wait to finish the book and see how the movie measures up.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Friend of mine who runs a movie theater sent me these texts this morning. He watched it last night, while setting it up to run.

"Watchmen sux, too long, too dark"
    "Disney made this movie already, The Incredibles"
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    Friend of mine who runs a movie theater sent me these texts this morning. He watched it last night, while setting it up to run.

"Watchmen sux, too long, too dark"
    "Disney made this movie already, The Incredibles"
    Well, the Incredibles was pretty dark... in a "not dark at all" sort of way.

Turn Off Ads?