Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Sunday August 3rd minor league updates

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Re: Sunday August 3rd minor league updates

Just awful news on Lotzkar. Hopefully that is nothing serious. But it sure doesn't sound good when he's pulled while he's cruising after just 2.2 innings. And it sounds even worse when the radio guys say elbow or shoulder. El crapo. Again, hopefully just precautionary though. But this would more than spoil an otherwise good day for the minor league pitchers.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Has Adam Pettyjohn figured something out? In his last five starts, he's thrown 32.1 innings, given up 4 ER's, 2 W's, and K'd 22. Looks like a guy who deserves a couple starts in Cinti. given what we've got and where we're going.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Has Adam Pettyjohn figured something out? In his last five starts, he's thrown 32.1 innings, given up 4 ER's, 2 W's, and K'd 22. Looks like a guy who deserves a couple starts in Cinti. given what we've got and where we're going.
    He is 31, so he can no longer be considered a prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    My guess is Pettyjohn would make Josh Fogg look good.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Dragons reliever Juan Rafael provided his third straight sparkling long relief outing to earn the win. Rafael went 51/3 innings, allowing four hits with two walks and seven strikeouts.

He replaced starting pitcher Kyle Lotzkar who left the game with an undisclosed arm injury in the third inning.

Since joining the Dragons from the Gulf Coast League Reds, Rafael has pitched in three games and earned the win in all of them, tossing 15 innings while allowing just two runs.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/con...spdragons.html
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    My guess is Pettyjohn would make Josh Fogg look good.
    Possibly, though he could provide some Shearnian innings eating. Something I'd vastly prefer to watching Homer Bailey or Darryl Thompson getting their teeth kicked in.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Possibly, though he could provide some Shearnian innings eating. Something I'd vastly prefer to watching Homer Bailey or Darryl Thompson getting their teeth kicked in.
    I agree I'd rather see Pettyjohn over rushing Homer and Thompson right now, but I prefer Matt Maloney over all of them.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    I agree I'd rather see Pettyjohn over rushing Homer and Thompson right now, but I prefer Matt Maloney over all of them.
    I'd hold off on Maloney for at least another month. Let him finish the season in AAA and then, if he's pitching really well and the Reds have a slot for him, call him up.

Jocketty needs some kids with market value this winter and if Maloney gets slapped around in the majors, then that probably won't help in terms of market value. A strong finish in AAA would at least inoculate him against disinterest.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

The Lotzkar situation certainly overshadows anything else from the day.

Quote Originally Posted by redsof72 View Post
    The Lotzkar situation certainly overshadows anything else from the day.
    Do you have any idea on how bad it is?
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Too early to tell, but even if it is minor, with the amount of money they have invested in him, they may very well shut him down for the year. I have been told that he felt something in his elbow.

Too early to tell, but even if it is minor, with the amount of money they have invested in him, they may very well shut him down for the year. I have been told that he felt something in his elbow.
    Better the elbow than shoulder.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Keep your fingers crossed.

Keep your fingers crossed.
    Yep. Even if it's serious and he has to undergo Tommy John surgery it won't be the end of the world since he's only 18 and nowadays many pitchers undergo TJ surgery and come back like nothing ever happened. And some come back and pitch better than before, like Ryan Dempster for example. It's still disappointing though because he was starting to put up some gaudy numbers for a 18 year old in Low-A ball.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

TJ surgery would be good for Lotzkar. It would keep him from getting promoted too quickly.

Turn Off Ads?