Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Players call "players only" meeting before today's game

Players call "players only" meeting before today's game

From Fay:

The Reds had a players-only meeting before Sunday's game.

"It's OK with me as long as they ask permission, which they did," Dusty Baker said.

Baker met with the team Friday.

"I think we overmeet as a society,' he said. "You can talk, but you've got to follow through."

Baker wouldn't say who called the meeting, saying only it was more than one player. David Weathers was one.

"We've got so many young guys," Baker said. "They've got to hear it from a player sometimes."

Lineup:

Jeff Keppinger ss

Joey Votto 1b

jay Bruce rf

Brandon Phillips 2b

Adam Dunn lf

Edwin Encarnacion 3

Corey Patterson cf

David Ross c

Jonny Cueto p

v. RH Collin Balester

http://beta.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs...ategory=blog07
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Players call "players only" meeting before today's game

Nice to see Votto back in the two hole. Hopefully he and Bruce remain 2/3 all season long.

Per Hal McCoy:

Speaking of clubhouses, the Reds players had a Players Only meeting before sunday’s game - hopefully to flail themselves for supreme ineptitude in losing two straight to the Nationals.

Manager Dusty Baker is not big on meetings, but gave his permission.

“As long as they ask permission, which they did, it’s fine with me,” said Baker. “We used to do that in LA, except we didn’t ask. We just kicked Tommy Lasorda out.

“Can’t tell you who, but a couple of ‘em came in and asked if it was OK and I said yes,” Baker said.

Baker, though, says not much happens after these meetings.

“I think we overmeet as a society,” said Baker. “My opinion. You can talk, but you have to follow through in your talking and put it into action. I’ve done motivational speaking and the first thing I tell them is, ‘I can only motivate you for a little while. Motivation comes from within, but one thing I can do is light your pilot light so it burns inside you.’”

Baker said former San Francisco manager Roger Craig once told him, “Don’t let them have a Players Only meeting because it looks as if you’ve lost the team. I love Roger Craig, but I never believed that. Thanks for the advice. If you feel secure in yourself, you don’t have to worry about that.”

Baker agrees that if a manager says no to a Players Only meeting, then the manager feels threatened.

“I had a meeting Friday after Ken Griffey Jr. was traded,” said Baker. “After my meetings, I always ask if anybody has anything to say and invariably nobody does. I hope that’s not the case in the players meeting - I hope they all have something to say.

“We have so many young guys on our team and they need to hear from some of the older players - like I used to hear from Hank Aaron and like when I was with the Dodgers they used to hear from Davy Lopes, Reggie Smith and me,” Baker said.
    "I think we’re starting to get to the point where people are starting to get tired of this stretch of ball,” Votto said. “I think something needs to start changing and start going in a different direction. I’m going to do my part to help make that change.”

I hope the players identified the clubhouse couch as the source of all of their problems...

High five!

I guess it was a standing meeting.

like I used to hear from Hank Aaron
    Say, did you guys know Dusty played with Hank Aaron? You'd think he'd have mentioned that before.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    Say, did you guys know Dusty played with Hank Aaron? You'd think he'd have mentioned that before.
    Who was this Hank Aaron guy? I've heard of Tommy Aaron - were they related?

“I think we overmeet as a society,” said Baker. “My opinion. You can talk, but you have to follow through in your talking and put it into action. I’ve done motivational speaking and the first thing I tell them is, ‘I can only motivate you for a little while. Motivation comes from within, but one thing I can do is light your pilot light so it burns inside you.’”
    Amen.

Get your own house in order, shut up, and give everything you've got for 2 1/2 hours.

Meeting adjourned.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Haunted by walks

Quote Originally Posted by MrCinatit View Post
    Who was this Hank Aaron guy? I've heard of Tommy Aaron - were they related?
    Maybe he meant Harang, Boone or Ledesma.

“I think we overmeet as a society,” said Baker.
    Dusty has never met the project managers I work with, I agree with him on this 110%.

Last week I had a meeting to plan a meeting. Dusty's dead on this time. Now let's hope it helps avoid a sweep by the Nats. My meeting wasn't so productive.
    I'm just like everybody else. I have two arms, two legs and 4,000 hits."

-Pete Rose

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Neither was this one

Meeting didn't work. Error in the 1st and that was it.

It was nice to see Cueto get through it and put up zeros the rest of the time. This team needs to find some leadership

I think they met to see how quickly they can pack it in for the season. I really doubt this teams wins more than 12 to 15 games the rest of they way. They are really pathetic.
    The Reds should take one thing the Nats did this weekend. Before Fridays game they got rid of some the deadwood on the team;Lopez,LoDuca and Estrada and brought up a couple young guys that gave them a spark. The Reds should do the same right now! It can at least send a message that they don't need older guys that just take up space around anymore.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Corey Patterson stepped up!

Turn Off Ads?