Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Is Dusty Baker The Right Guy To Manage The Reds?

Voters
63. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes, he inherited this motley crew

7 11.11%
  • no, he is more hype than substance

56 88.89%

Thread: Was Dusty Baker Worth It?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Was Dusty Baker Worth It?

Really, was bringing Dusty Baker worth the money to bring in as manager? You look at this team and ask what the difference is between having Baker or Pete Mackanin managing the club? They still make the same bonehead mistakes and you have to question whether there are players on this roster who want to win or collect a paycheck.

After winding down his first season as Reds manager, I ask is Dusty Baker the right guy to manage the Reds?
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

Re: Was Dusty Baker Worth It?

No. I was a Pete Mackanin fan. I'd much rather have him at this point.

Nope. The same question could be asked about Cordero as well. The manager and closer are probably the two last places I would spend money when the roster looked the way it did last winter.

this was never the type of ballclub Dusty should be hired to manage

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    this was never the type of ballclub Dusty should be hired to manage

But Baker brought in some of his own guys like Hairston and Patterson. You have to hold him accountable for the Patterson fiasco.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

I voted no, but then again I can't see how anyone would have made a material impact at manager. The roster was doomed from the start. And it blows my mind when I think where this team would be if Volquez didn't pitch like Superman for the better part of the season. He exceeded the best case scenario and, if he only met expectations, this team would be that much worse.

My new signature says all I need know about Dusty.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Without Baker, there's no Francisco Cordero, Jerry Hairston, et al. I think that more than makes up for his bad decisions on the field.

As often happens with these polls, my option isn't there - "it's too early to tell". This club should have been playing better. It has flaws, but not as severe as some here suggest. This club has been underplaying all year and I don't see when it's going to stop. But I think Dusty hasn't been the main cause of that; although I've come around to understanding what folks have been saying about line-up construction. I still think Baker is not the horrific manager many paint him to be.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Going into the year I maintained he was the worst possible hire, but I was willing to give him a shot. Unfortunately he only solidified my opinion.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

No. Not at all.

Baker over estimates players that he is familiar with and underestimates players that he is not familiar with or that is young, Baker doesn't know his players or their abilities on offense, his offense is one of the worst in the league.

Turn Off Ads?