Turn Off Ads?
Page 10 of 32 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread: Griffey Jr Traded to the White Sox

Re: Griffey Jr Traded to the White Sox (Pending Griffey Approval)

Do we have any realistic clue as to the return, if anything?
    Zilch...
    2023 Reds record attending: 13-18 FINAL
    2023 Dragons record attending: 0-0 FINAL
    2023 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0 FINAL
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

2. Turn Off Ads?

The White Sox have a thin farm system but 2B Chris Getz, OF Jose Martinez, and LHP Aaron Poreda are their most interesting prospects. The Reds official website speculates Brian Anderson could be part of the deal. He's an outstanding defensive center fielder but his bat hasn't lived up to expectations yet. Maybe a change of scenery could do him good.

Finally, the Reds can shift Bruce to RF. Hopefully the Reds acquired a speedy centerfielder that can bat leadoff from the White Sox. The money saved by no longer having to deal with Griffey's contract will allow the Reds get in serious discussions after the season to extend Adam Dunn.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

You're being very UnDude. sonny's Avatar

I wouldn't mind Brian Anderson. Cant be much worse than CP. Of course, I wouldn't be much worse that Patterson.
    Witty signature.

Do you thing we might get this guy? http://www.thebaseballcube.com/playe...rmstrong.shtml
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by sonny View Post
    I wouldn't mind Brian Anderson. Cant be much worse than CP. Of course, I wouldn't be much worse that Patterson.
    Anderson and Patterson are essentially the same player. They have their uses, but those uses are limited.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Lakewood Ranch, FL (by way of Columbus, OH)

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    How is this a sad day for the Reds? IMO this is the kind of sentiment that kept the reds in a run for a decade. When you make deals based upon the public wants instead of the team wants you are making a big mistake.

Griffey was fun to watch but he was awful in the outfield. His best days were behind him and him hitting in the 3 hole hurt. It was fun going to the stadium to watch one of the greatest players of all time but the Reds are better off without him.
    It's a sad day because one of the greatest players ever is no longer going to play for my favorite team. He ain't like he used to obviously and I hope he accepts and succeeds iin obtaining his ring but there's nothing wrong with being sad to see him leave.

Or this guy? I have a feeling it might be a catcher... http://www.thebaseballcube.com/playe...nny-Lucy.shtml
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

I wouldn't be surprised if the deal was just for a PTBNL with the Reds picking up the rest of '08 and the Sox on the hook for the option/buyout.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Just speculated on WLW that the Reds were going to be on the hook for most of the money.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if the deal was just for a PTBNL with the Reds picking up the rest of '08 and the Sox on the hook for the option/buyout.
    Probably. I think it's cost-cutting as much as possible. They know they're going to have to reload big time in the offseason.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

You're being very UnDude. sonny's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Can PTBNL play center field?
    Witty signature.

Quote Originally Posted by Caseyfan21 View Post
    Just speculated on WLW that the Reds were going to be on the hook for most of the money.
    Hopefully that means the Reds are going to get a solid prospect in return then.

If this is the extent of the moves, then Walt gets a big "F" for his deadline performance.

10:20 a.m.

The White Sox's trade for Ken Griffey Jr. is perplexing some baseball people. "He can't play,'' one AL exec said. "I think it's a huge mistake.'' It remains uncertain how the White Sox will utilize Griffey -- assuming he approves the trade -- but don't be surprised if White Sox GM Ken Williams has more surprises. He and A's GM Billy Beane are the biggest dealmakers. Maybe Williams just got bored and had to do something. At least he got a longtime favorite of his. It's still to be worked out how he fits all his hitters into the lineup or whether one of them will go in a companion trade. Griffey once rejected a trade to the Mets (before he came to the Reds), but with his Reds contract expiring anyway, he'd look pretty bad to turn down a deal to play for a first-place team.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...x.html?eref=T1

Turn Off Ads?