Turn Off Ads?
Page 30 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2026272829303132 LastLast

Thread: Griffey Jr Traded to the White Sox

Re: Griffey Jr Traded to the White Sox

Quote Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
    Man I don't think you quoted Junior there.
    No, the crock is the assertion that Griffey somehow has bigger cajones and thus was unjustly thrusted into the 3rd slot because he was the "Man" and everyone else was busy eating ice cream and looking at their mary janes.

That's the load.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Spring~Fields View Post
    Well, that is the managers job to make out the lineup, so you have a point. I can't blame Patterson or Griffey for where the manager puts them in the lineup.
    Agreed - Junior was out of the lineup for long periods of time when Dunn was here and he rarely batted 3rd then either. I think there was a thread back then as to whether you bat Dunn where he prefers or where you want him to bat. I don't know there are guys who seem to be more comfortable batting in certain positions. I think the REDS will experiment with Dunn at 3rd for a month or so - if it doesn't work they will know they will have to find someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    No, the crock is the assertion that Griffey somehow has bigger cajones and thus was unjustly thrusted into the 3rd slot because he was the "Man" and everyone else was busy eating ice cream and looking at their mary janes.

That's the load.
    Just so you can get the full quote of load here is the context of Dusty's speech - it was talking about not having Bruce batting leadoff not third.

Baker wrote Bruce's name into the lineup's second spot for the series opener vs. the Pirates. The club's other center fielders, Corey Patterson and Ryan Freel, often batted leadoff. On Tuesday, Jerry Hairston Jr. batted leadoff. Bruce often batted in the third spot during his Minor League career.

"I didn't want to put that pressure on him to lead off," Baker said. "The third spot right now belongs to Junior. The fourth spot belongs to [Brandon] Phillips. The fifth spot belongs to [Adam] Dunn. Junior has 20 years of batting third. Just bide your time and learn everything. It will work out sooner or later."

Just so you can get the full quote of load here is the context of Dusty's speech - it was talking about not having Bruce batting leadoff not third.

Baker wrote Bruce's name into the lineup's second spot for the series opener vs. the Pirates. The club's other center fielders, Corey Patterson and Ryan Freel, often batted leadoff. On Tuesday, Jerry Hairston Jr. batted leadoff. Bruce often batted in the third spot during his Minor League career.

"I didn't want to put that pressure on him to lead off," Baker said. "The third spot right now belongs to Junior. The fourth spot belongs to [Brandon] Phillips. The fifth spot belongs to [Adam] Dunn. Junior has 20 years of batting third. Just bide your time and learn everything. It will work out sooner or later."
    So much for pressure, Bruce bats third tonight.

He must be scared.. maybe he can shrug it off to someone else, it's obvious he didn't want it before by your summations.

Pressure was on Bruce hitting leadoff - sure if Bruce is batting third tonight maybe he steps up to the plate. The quote was still about putting the pressure on Bruce hitting leadoff not third.

Dunn has batted third before and as I said above there was indications he preferred lower in the order - I am looking for the quote from Phillips - I think it may have been a Hal McCoy or Daugherty thing where Phillips said he preferred the four slot.

I feel dirty.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

All dyslexics must untie!

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Out of curiosity, what happens if Kenny Williams decides he wants Griffey back next season?
    I don't see Junior going to spring training in AZ. For Seattle or anyone else

The White Sox are also fighting an intra-city war with the crosstown Cubs for fans and media attention. Some of that media already are proclaiming that while Griffey isn't the Cubs' Jim Edmonds in center field, he gives the franchise some buzz.
    Junior and Jimmy sharing CF in the same city? "Willie, Mickey and the Duke" it ain't but oh my the "drama"

Bruce bats third tonight.
    Dusty (to himself while making out the lineup card) "CF?...leadoff...RF?...batting 3rd"
    Never overlook the obvious

Dusty's speech -

That tells me all I need to know.
    CF
    SS
    Respect
    Free swinger
    OBP
    OBP
    OBP

Quote Originally Posted by Spring~Fields View Post
    That tells me all I need to know.
    CF
    SS
    Respect
    Free swinger
    OBP
    OBP
    OBP
    Well two of those "OBP"s are .344, the Respect spot had a .355 OBP. Maybe nit picking, but just sayin.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    Well two of those "OBP"s are .344, the Respect spot had a .355 OBP. Maybe nit picking, but just sayin.
    The season did not start this past month, I work from April forward. I like to monitor more closely to the how we got to where we are.

Griffey is playing CF and batting 7th tonight.

For anyone who hasn't heard them yet, here is a link to those two embarrassing...?promos?... that WLW ran yesterday.

http://www.700wlw.com/pages/onair_scottstanley.html
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Griffey is playing CF and batting 7th tonight.
    Jr will head to the wheelchair still believing he can play CF.

I'm not sure he'd prefer to be in CF, flyer, with comments he's made about not being the same guy people remember from Seattle. I think he just wants to fit in and not be a disruption. He even chose #17 so Swisher could keep #30. Sounds like he just wants the chance to go out a winner to me.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    Jr will head to the wheelchair still believing he can play CF.
    And that's why he's a hall of fame player and someone every fan who saw him play will remember.

Wilie Mays fell on his duff in the World Series doing it.

That's part of the man that awed so many.

No disgrace in it at all.

Turn Off Ads?