Turn Off Ads?
Page 32 of 32 FirstFirst ... 222829303132

Thread: Griffey Jr Traded to the White Sox

Re: Griffey Jr Traded to the White Sox

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    Griffey learned form the number thing. Even though Swisher offered Junior the No. 30, Griffey refused saying he didn't want to be a distraction on the team. Classy. comes with age, I guess.
    I agree. Junior handled it very well.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog View Post
    I don't have a lot to add aside from what's already been said - I know it's probably best for both parties to move on, but there's definitely a huge part of me that's sad to see this day come. I truly wish it had worked out better for both the Reds and Junior but I'll be rooting like crazy for the White Sox to win it all so Griffey can get a much deserved ring.

Is it safe to say the Griffey was responsible for this site starting up? That would be my recollection.

Quote Originally Posted by Deepred05 View Post
    Is it safe to say the Griffey was responsible for this site starting up? That would be my recollection.
    I remember the days around the Griffey trade on the old cincinnati.com boards. Man, that was nuts. I was checking those old boards every 10 minutes looking for updates and what not.

Quote Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
    REDS players here don't want to bad third. Junior stood up as a man and said he'd do it. Phillips already said he is uncomfortable batting third, Dunn has said it before too (he also seems much more comfortable batting 5 or 6)

I've read a few articles that quoted Dunn saying that he likes hitting in the first inning, in eighther the two or three spot.

I"ve read some articles that quoted Phillips saying that he's uncomfortable batting third.

I believe that Dusty is uncomfortable putting Dunn in the two or three hole.

I believe that Dusty believes that Dunn strikesout too much and might clog the bases hitting second or third. Just another reason I doubt the wisdom of Dusty Baker.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    For anyone who hasn't heard them yet, here is a link to those two embarrassing...?promos?... that WLW ran yesterday.

http://www.700wlw.com/pages/onair_scottstanley.html
    That is just downright disgusting; but I don't listen to WLW. I use to - when they were good, but not anymore.

Isn't Cunningham still the program director/station manager, or something of that sorts? If so. Then that reveals a lot.

The station has really come a long way (in the wrong direction) since the days of Rosemary Clooney, Bob Braun, and Ruth Lyons.

I tune in on the way to work in the evenings only to listen to the game.

When I heard that Jr got traded, and again while on my way to work, I tuned in and listened to Scott Sloan's show. The guy is a real duffus who showed no class or respect at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Spring~Fields View Post
    I can't blame him either, management drags him here under the thoughts of building a winner around him and they do nothing.
    Dragged?

In 1999, soon-to-be free agent Ken Griffey Jr (and his agent) boxed the Mariners into a corner by saying they'd accept a trade ONLY to the Reds. The Ms offered him a contract of nearly $150 million to keep him with the team forever, and Griffey Jr. somehow reached the conclusion that the team did not want him. Jim Bowden, the Reds' general manager, negotiates a staggeringly one-sided deal for one of the greatest players in history, and signs Jr to a 9 year 116.5 mil contract (with deferred monies until 2024).

Dragged? For that kind of deal you can tie me behind a car and drag my bare butt across two miles of broken glass.

And lets also not forget who was standing (and beaming) next to him on that podium the day he was signed. His Dad, who had hopes/aspirations of managing the Reds (and his son) in a Cincy uniform.

Jr wasn't some innocent victim in all this who was somehow deceived (or duped) by management to come to Cincy.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Dragged?

In 1999, soon-to-be free agent Ken Griffey Jr (and his agent) boxed the Mariners into a corner by saying they'd accept a trade ONLY to the Reds. The Ms offered him a contract of nearly $150 million to keep him with the team forever, and Griffey Jr. somehow reached the conclusion that the team did not want him. Jim Bowden, the Reds' general manager, negotiates a staggeringly one-sided deal for one of the greatest players in history, and signs Jr to a 9 year 116.5 mil contract (with deferred monies until 2024).

Dragged? For that kind of deal you can tie me behind a car and drag my bare butt across two miles of broken glass.

And lets also not forget who was standing (and beaming) next to him on that podium the day he was signed. His Dad, who had hopes/aspirations of managing the Reds (and his son) in a Cincy uniform.

Jr wasn't some innocent victim in all this who was somehow deceived (or duped) by management to come to Cincy.
    Okay so ownership forgot to "drag" some other players, especially pitchers to play along with Griffey. I guess all they needed was Griffey and the new stadium to sell tickets. Just a minor oversight on the ownership/investors part.
    At least they got your money......

Sure, Bowden is the virtue of truth and full disclosure, I mean, I look up the word "honest" and right there is a picture of Bowden, and we all know how well Reds ownership has treated the tax payers on that shiney new stadium, after all "we are building for 2003", still. Why would some superstar not take less than he could have received elsewhere just for funsies, who wouldn't love to come to Cincy, taking less knowing that he was going to play on a losing team for what seven, eight seasons?

I hadn't heard this, I came across it this morning in the power rankings, according to BP, Junior's approval of the trade hinged on him being allowed to play CF.

Kenny Williams finally gets his man, acquiring longtime trade target Ken Griffey Jr. and handing over the keys to center field. Griffey's approval was said to hinge on returning to his old stomping grounds (we know how picky he can be when it comes to the desire to go home), which means he'll push Nick Swisher to first base and struggling Paul Konerko (.214/.312/.349, and an even worse .209/.274/.284 since returning from injury three weeks ago) to the bench. Though that may not be a popular move, it comes at a negligible cost (Danny Richar and Nick Masset), and in a tight division race, that's a chance worth taking.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    I don't remember that, but I wonder how it would have worked out. Surely Senior would have done a better job than Boone or Miley. He might have actually had the stones to play Junior in the correct position and bat him in an appropriate spot in the order.
    /r/reds

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Turn Off Ads?