Turn Off Ads?
Page 12 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: Griffey Jr Traded to the White Sox

Re: Griffey Jr Traded to the White Sox (Pending Griffey Approval)

My only wish is that the Brantley situation would be put to rest before he departs. It reaks of the Larkin situation with him leaving on bad terms.

If the rumor is true (Dunn to the Rays), the Rays are definitely a good partner. There's not a team in baseball with better prospects than Tampa. I don't want to see Dunn go, but I think the return could be best there.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I hope he's outta here. Just don't see where and how he fits into the Sox picture. If I'm running the Sox and I want to improve my team, I dont add Junior.
    Pending approval has got to mean that the Sox have to pick up his '09 option. 16 mill for THAT????

I hope Jr understands that in Chicago he wont be the captain of the ship (that's Ozzie's personality/job) and therefore he's not guaranteed to bat in the first-inning. It could get ugly when Jr gets into Ozzie's doghouse next week after jogging out a groundball.

With the way Konerko is hitting, I'd be shocked if it they didn't use him as a DH in a platoon with Paulie with Thome covering 1B when Junior plays.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by OldXOhio View Post
    I'm guessing 2500 was being sarcastic.
    He doesn't possess the skill set for such a thing.

Interesting stuff from the Sox board on mlb.com

They are saying Jr and a reliever(Affeldt or Weathers) for Anderson and someone else.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OldXOhio View Post
    I'm guessing 2500 was being sarcastic.
    Hopefully

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    He doesn't possess the skill set for such a thing.
    Clearly I don't know 2500 very well. Disregard previous post.

I'd love to see Griffey win a World Series and accepting a trade to the White Sox would give him a very good chance at winning it all. The White Sox currently have the third best run differential in all of baseball (and only +2 behind the Red Sox for second place). They have as a good a chance as anybody at winning the World Series this year.

I want no part of Brian Anderson unless he slots in behind Dickerson on the depth chart. He hasn't hit since 2005. Just bring up Dickerson and be done with it.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I saw on the Sox board that there is a deal for Street pending the outcome of the Jr trade.

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    It's definitely Griffey's fault the Reds have been bad for a decade.
    I think it's just as ridiculous to absolve Griffey from all blame (his contract handcuffed the team for years, not to mention his injuries) as it is to put all blame on him. It's my belief the Reds would have done better without him--and no one was more thrilled than me when "the trade" happened.
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    I saw on the Sox board that there is a deal for Street pending the outcome of the Jr trade.
    Street to the W. Sox?
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Sorry if this doesn't turn out to be true, but I just heard someone saying that Griffey turned the trade down.
    For Love of the Game

"If you aren't first; you're last"

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelhouse View Post
    I think it's just as ridiculous to absolve Griffey from all blame (his contract handcuffed the team for years, not to mention his injuries) as it is to put all blame on him. It's my belief the Reds would have done better without him--and no one was more thrilled than me when "the trade" happened.
    Let's be clear about this. Griffey did not handcuff this team with anything. The Reds traded for him. They told him they were committed to adding payroll. The fact is, they didn't. The team handcuffed themselves. Griffey did his best not to handcuff the team by taking less than fair market value. Stop trying to distort the facts here. And FWIW, don't mention the injuries because they weren't something he could help.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

Quote Originally Posted by penantboundreds View Post
    Sorry if this doesn't turn out to be true, but I just heard someone saying that Griffey turned the trade down.
    1530 says 'insiders' are reporting he has accepted.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Turn Off Ads?