Turn Off Ads?
Page 18 of 32 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast

Thread: Griffey Jr Traded to the White Sox

Re: Griffey Jr Traded to the White Sox (Pending Griffey Approval)

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    my guess is that they will try and move Richar to CF to take advantage of the speed and arm. It seems like from reading what I could find he has some issues with defense as an IF.
    Meaning he'll start in the minors?

2. Turn Off Ads?

According to CBS who got the players right - the REDS are picking up the rest of this year's salary - $4 million.

Senor Votto

I can't believe Griffey's gone. He's been my favorite player since I was little. I hope he'll have a great end to his career.

And it seems like the Reds didn't get much other than a salary dump. And a starting spot for Patterson.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

For both parties, this is best...it didn't work out, and now everybody can move on.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Honestly, it's more than I thought they'd ever get for Griffey.

I hope Dickerson gets the call to active duty with Jr. out -- he's clearly earning it with his play in Louisville.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Degenerate39 View Post
    I can't believe Griffey's gone. He's been my favorite player since I was little. I hope he'll have a great end to his career.

And it seems like the Reds didn't get much other than a salary dump. And a starting spot for Patterson.
    Hopefully Hairston, Jr is reinstated from the DL tomorrow.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

I like Richar, but I think the other guy (Massett) is a waste.

Either way, sending Griffey out was addition by subtraction.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Honestly, it's more than I thought they'd ever get for Griffey.

I hope Dickerson gets the call to active duty with Jr. out -- he's clearly earning it with his play in Louisville.
    my guess is that they just activate Hairston to take Jrs spot.

Might be a good idea to change the title thread to "Griffey accepts trade"

I can't get the WLW internet feed to load. What's the lowdown on the ad people are talking about?
    It played the press conference where Carl Linder mumbled through the speech, promising that Griffey would break Aaron's HR record. It finished with "Now the question remains, who will be the next Reds half-asser."

To put it mildly, Bill Cunningham is on cloud nine right now. It's basically "Good riddance Junior".

In all honesty, this is a bittersweet day to be a Reds fan. It's bitter from the fact that we are losing the overall face of the franchise and possibly the city(Carson and Chad would be the only others that would qualify). However, Griffey also did not play to the fullest extent, even with the injuries, and the attitude that was rubbing off on the younger players made this trade a necessity. What is really going to be interesting is how well he and Ozzie Guillen get along if he doesn't run out a fly ball.

I hate to see Junior go, but as others have stated, it was a needed change. It's time to build this club around Jay Bruce and the pitching staff.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Senor Votto

Who will be batting 3rd from now on? Phillips?

Richar alone is more than I thought the Reds could get for Griffey. I'm pleased and hopeful that Weathers/Affeldt/ are next.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

I'm pleased with the return. Massett throws in the mid-to-upper 90's and has a plus curveball and average chnageup and slider according to Baseball America. Baseball Prospectus seems to think he'll be a starter. He's got good size but his command is what's keeping him from having success right now. And Richar is a solid prospect. He's struggled some this season but last year he hit .305/.365/.505 in the minors.

Re: Griffey Jr Traded to the White Sox

Holy crap...who's going to bat 3rd now?

On Masset and Richar
    Posted by JohnFay at 7/31/2008 2:57 PM EDT on Cincinnati.com

Here's a little about the players the Reds got in the Ken Griffey Jr. trade:

Nick Masset is a 26-year-old right-hander. He was having a pretty good year for the White Sox until recently. His ERA was 3.32 before he allowed runs in five of his last six outings. He's 1-0 overall with a save and 4.63 ERA with 32 strikeouts, 21 walks and 55 hits allowed in 44 2/3 ininngs. He came up in the Texas organization before being traded to the White Sox. He had a 7.09 ERA in 27 games with the Sox last year.

Danny Richar is 25-year-old infielder from the Dominican. He was started out as shortstop but he's been playing second lately. The White Sox got him in a 2007 trade. He hit a combined .305 with 13 home runs adn 61 RBI in 98 minor league games last year. He hit .230 with six home runs and 15 RBI in 56 games with the White Sox. He's a .288 lifetime hitter in the minors.

It doesn't look like either one of these players will have a huge impact this year. I'd think Richar goes back to shortstop, unless the Reds are thinking of moving Brandon Phillips there (that's a blog topic for anothger day).

I think moving Griffey now just moves the team more quickly toward the future.

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs...cincinnati.com

I for one am very happy today. As much as I was excited about Leatherpants bringing Jr. back to the town he grew up in, I was disappointed in the results.

Now the Reds can work on the future, with Bruce in RF and someone else batting 3rd.

I also think Masset will be able to throw some innings down the stretch becasue Cueto and Vasquez really need rest from here on out.

Turn Off Ads?