Turn Off Ads?
Page 19 of 32 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast

Thread: Griffey Jr Traded to the White Sox

Re: Griffey Jr Traded to the White Sox

I wonder who goes when Masset gets to Washington.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Strikes Out Looking View Post
    I for one am very happy today. As much as I was excited about Leatherpants bringing Jr. back to the town he grew up in, I was disappointed in the results.

Now the Reds can work on the future, with Bruce in RF and someone else batting 3rd.

I also think Masset will be able to throw some innings down the stretch becasue Cueto and Vasquez really need rest from here on out.

We got Vasquez in the deal!!??!?!

Sorry... you knew someone was gonna do it.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

I am shocked that we actually got two halfway decent prospects in return for Griffey. I'm also surprised the White Sox are picking up half the remaining contract and half of the buyout. I figured in order to receive even one decent prospect, the Reds would need to eat the entire contract, including the buyout.

Reds got very lucky here, because I bet if the White Sox didn't make a play for Griffey, no one would have.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Fay -

Walt Jocketty just finished a conference call about the Griffey trade. Some highlights:

Does this signal a new beginning? "I think it. Ken Griffey Jr. has been a big part of this franchise. We're beginning a new era. Looking to long-term future, we have to add depth and trading for younger players is part of that."

On CEO BOB Castellini's role: "He was supportive. We felt it was best for long-term future. We're getting players we control for a number of years. We're kind of retooling."

On Adam Dunn's future: "We'll probably bring Jerry Hairston Jr. back a day early. We'll play him in center with Jay Bruce in right and Dunn in left. It will give us a chance to see how that outfield works and evaluate for the future."

The Reds had a chance to make other deals: "We chose not to. . . We thought we were better off holding on to our players and trying to win as many games as we can."

The White Sox called the Reds early yesterday afternoon. The deal was worked out be the time last night's game ended: "I was surprised (they called). They had a need for another bat and an outfielder. (GM) Kenny Williams had tried to trade for Junior in the past."

Griffey's reaction: "He was a little bit suprised. He wanted to tell his family. The (White Sox) wanted him and pursued him. He had to feel good about that."

Did the incident with Jeff Brantley affect the decision to trade Griffey? "No, absolutely not."

On the guys the Reds got: "(Nick) Masset is a guy our scouts liked as an amateur. The like his arm. His versatility. (Danny) Richar is a guy I likes in the past. We looked him when I was in St. Louis."

Masset will be used in relief for now, but the Reds could use him as a starter. "We don't have a lot of depth with pitching with (Daryl) Thompson and (Matt) Maloney (being on the DL) at Louisville."

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

It is appropriate that Griffey's final hit as a Cincinnati Reds was one we all thought we'd see more of in the last 8 seasons....

the beautiful swing, the long fly ball, the rounding of the bases....

He went out with a bang.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    It is appropriate that Griffey's final hit as a Cincinnati Reds was one we all thought we'd see more of in the last 8 seasons....

the beautiful swing, the long fly ball, the rounding of the bases....

He went out with a bang.

Well said Matt, well said.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

#7 in Team History

Code:
    HOMERUNS                    HR       AB     
    Johnny Bench                389     7658   
    Frank Robinson              324     5527   
    Tony Perez                  287     6846   
    Adam Dunn                   270     3691
    Ted Kluszewski              251     4961   
    George Foster               244     4454 
    Ken Griffey Jr.             210     2994  
    Eric Davis                  203     3272   
    Barry Larkin                198     7937   
    Vada Pinson                 186     6335

It will be interesting to see where Richar fits into the Reds plans..2B..SS...or maybe even CF. This deal would please me even more if it resulted in BP shifting over to SS and Richar taking over at 2B or at least splitting time with Keppinger and/or Hairston.

Anybody else notice a lot of posts missing from this thread? The site must be having problems still.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    Anybody else notice a lot of posts missing from this thread? The site must be having problems still.
    We're waiting for the site to be updated with the new DNS settings since it has been moved to a new server. The only sure fire way to guaranatee posts won't be lost is to completely shut down the board (thereby freezing the database), but I don't think that's a good idea, either.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    I hope that all of mine disappear, they are like looking in the mirror sometimes.

Local media, and the GM, with all indications that Jr. will see a lot of time in CF, starting in his first game in KC.
    "You're drunk again. No, I'm just exhausted 'cause I've been up all night drinking."
    Peter Griffin

On Adam Dunn's future: "We'll probably bring Jerry Hairston Jr. back a day early. We'll play him in center with Jay Bruce in right and Dunn in left. It will give us a chance to see how that outfield works and evaluate for the future."
    Sheesh. I hate giving the center field job to a 32 year old with a career .696 OPS. IMO Chris Dickerson should be called up to see how he handles major league pitching. Hairston should not be counted on to sustain his current success. He's not the solution in CF. Call up Dickerson and let him have the job.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Sheesh. I hate giving the center field job to a 32 year old with a career .696 OPS. IMO Chris Dickerson should be called up to see how he handles major league pitching. Hairston should not be counted on to sustain his current success. He's not the solution in CF. Call up Dickerson and let him have the job.
    Let Hairston have it until he falls back to earth. Give Dickerson Patterson's spot.

Wow! I just woke up and read this thread. I thought I was still asleep.

I think the strong possibility of appearing in the post-season again was the biggest motivation for him accepting this trade.

His tenure with the Reds didn't turn out like he (and we Red fans) wanted due to injuries. But I am glad I got the opportunity to see this future 1st ballot HOFer in person.

And I sincerely hope that Jr, now that he is gone, doesn't "open up" and turn on this organization and it's fans. I don't think he will, but there has been a lot of bent up frustration on his part, and the fans, over the last 8 years or so. I hope it doesn't spill out.

I hope everyone turns the page and moves on.

I guess this kills any hope for a Ken Giriffey Jr Appreciation Day at GABP at the end of the season.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Turn Off Ads?