Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Griffey Jr Traded to the White Sox

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

Re: Griffey Jr Traded to the White Sox (Pending Griffey Approval)

Quote Originally Posted by OldXOhio View Post
    Sure he could, but Junior has stated repeatedly his desire to win a title.
    But in those same statements he finishes it with, ..here in Cincinnati.

Junior my guess will talk it over with the family then decide. He'll probably accept the deal if the White Sox let him play some CF as Rosenthal suggest and for obvious reason that the White Sox are in 1st.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I'm with those who are saddened by this, but I also understand that the time has come for Griffey to move on; both for us and for himself. And I highly doubt that the incident with Brantley precipitated this move, although it certainly underscores the reason why this chapter in Griffey's career and in Reds history needs to end.

Moving Griffey during this season has been understood throughout this season. Interestingly (and it's possible we're not getting the full picture), I see no mention of the approval of MLB being required, which says to me that it's possible there's no salary pick up by the Reds. The commish needs to sign off on money over $1 Million. Again, though, it's possible the Griffey approval is overriding that aspect of the deal (or they may have already gotten the go ahead from MLB).
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Cruisin' for trouble

I would think Bob's visit to Houston was to ask Griffey if he would accept a trade to a contender if a trade presented itself. That certainly would be the classy way to approach someone of Junior's caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    He could, but it would be pretty pathetic if you ask me. He has always said he wants a ring. He'll have a chance now. He has zero chance with the Reds. He needs to accept this trade. It's only 2 months of his life.

Like you said, I don't know why on Earth he would really care about finishing his career in Cincy. Yes, he grew up here and his dad played here, but his time here has been pretty rough.
    I still don't see how it is pathetic. He's earned that right. It's not like it really hurts the Reds if he actually stays. They can still part ways at the end of the year and I severly doubt they get any sort of return on him (unlike the last time with the White Sox when the Reds were reported to be getting Chris Young). Again, I hope he accepts it and gets a chance at a ring, but stranger things have happened.

Quote Originally Posted by OldXOhio View Post
    It'd be sad if he were being traded to a non-contender. Instead, he's being given a chance to compete for a title. I'm sorry Junior's tenure in Cincy wasn't a more successful one, but at this point in his career, I as a Reds fan have no regrets about his departure and wish him all the best.

What I mean by sad is if he's being traded because of the flap with the announcers. Would this deal have been made if all that hadn't happened?

I'm sure Walt was shopping him before that, but if he was told to take any deal he had to to move him after the blow up with Brantley, that would be very sad.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by RedLegSuperStar View Post
    But in those same statements he finishes it with, ..here in Cincinnati.
    And that's clearly not going to happen so.....

What's your priority Junior? If he were 5 years younger, it might be different. At 38, his options are limited.

I'm not sure that Ozzie and Jr are a good fit.....
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by princeton View Post
    Wayne's back? awesome
    Oops.....livin in the past

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GoReds View Post
    I would think Bob's visit to Houston was to ask Griffey if he would accept a trade to a contender if a trade presented itself. That certainly would be the classy way to approach someone of Junior's caliber.
    I agree.. a first ballot Hall of Famer.. a baseball icon. Here's to Caps turned backwards, big smiles, and #24 White Sox Jerseys...

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    What I mean by sad is if he's being traded because of the flap with the announcers. Would this deal have been made if all that hadn't happened?

I'm sure Walt was shopping him before that, but if he was told to take any deal he had to to move him after the blow up with Brantley, that would be very sad.
    Understood - I guess I'm just not putting much into this whole Brantley/Junior flap. And I really don't think the feelings of a Reds announcer is helping to chart the team's course going forward.

Quote Originally Posted by princeton View Post
    I disagree. It made sense to get him away from Dusty. The timing is unfortunate, but the clock expires tonight.

Just a nit, but I'd think Junior could have been traded after the deadline. He'd most likely pass through waivers. JMO.

Bittersweet ending for Junior's tenure in Cincinnati. What could have been. Best for the Reds and best for Junior though. Dusty will have to find another #3 hitter.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Great Shades of Elvis!!!

I don't think I need coffee this morning.

Time is the Revelator.

How can I get any sleep now?

Wow. Just wow.

I remember how exciting it was when "The Kid" came home. Obviously things didn't work out as planned.

Even with his limited range in RF and slowing bat, there's something sad about Jr. leaving the Reds in the middle of the season and on the road.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

Wonder if the bust Brian Anderson isn't due for a change of scenery.

Turn Off Ads?