Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Where will the Reds draft in '09?

Where will the Reds draft in '09?

After all of this losing this year, one thing is for sure...the Reds are likely to have a decent draft spot again next year.

Where do you think they will officially land? There's obviously almost 2 months left in this season, but if the season ended today, the Reds would draft 7th next year.

I've heard the class next year doesn't look so strong. Can anyone validate that?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Where will the Reds draft in '09?

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    After all of this losing this year, one thing is for sure...the Reds are likely to have a decent draft spot again next year.

Where do you think they will officially land? There's obviously almost 2 months left in this season, but if the season ended today, the Reds would draft 7th next year.

I've heard the class next year doesn't look so strong. Can anyone validate that?
    Jim Callis said in of his recent chats that the draft rates out to be average.

At the rate the current first rounders are signing (few have), it's possible there may be a few more players available next year. Of course, we'll know more at the end of August 12th (and assuming these guys don't fall on their faces playing amateur ball).
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things, that's Rallyonion.com

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

IMO, we should draft a starter. Sure we have some great young arms up now, but if one of them fails, we have little fallback. If we could get a college arm that could be in the bigs in a year or less, that would be a terrific pickup.

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GoReds33 View Post
    IMO, we should draft a starter. Sure we have some great young arms up now, but if one of them fails, we have little fallback. If we could get a college arm that could be in the bigs in a year or less, that would be a terrific pickup.
    I'd say the Reds are in better shape for future 'fallback' than most organizations. Daryl Thompson, Homer Bailey, Matt Maloney, Ben Jukich, Sam LeCure, Travis Wood, Jordan Smith, Scott Carroll, Alex Smit, Jeremy Horst, Evan Hildenbrandt, Shea Snowden, Kyle Lotzkar, etc. If the Reds are going to draft for need, I'm not sure I'd put pitching at the top of the list. I'd look more toward shortstop or catcher. Who do they have in the middle infield beyond Chris Valaika, Justin Turner, Alex Buchholz, Paul Janish, and Zack Cozart?

With Dunn and Griffey now gone, and with Cueto and Volquez more than likely to be shut down sometime in September, the Reds have a legit shot at a top five pick right now. I don't see the Reds finishing worse than Seattle, Washington, or San Diego but the number four pick looks like it will belong to the Reds next June.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

5 and 7b. 1 of the picks is going to be Kentrail Davis... at least I hope he is.

Quote Originally Posted by Grande Donkey View Post
    5 and 7b. 1 of the picks is going to be Kentrail Davis... at least I hope he is.
    I don't think he is eligible next year, could be wrong tough. I think he is going to be a Sophmore this year so he is still two years away

Quote Originally Posted by redhawk61 View Post
    I don't think he is eligible next year, could be wrong tough. I think he is going to be a Sophmore this year so he is still two years away
    He is only going to be a Sophomore but he is eligible because he will be 21 withing 45 days of the draft. It is a loophole that will allow him to be drafted (by the Reds) next year.

Maybe they traded Dunn so that they can tank the rest of the year and get the top pick?
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Maybe they traded Dunn so that they can tank the rest of the year and get the top pick?
    Steven Strasburg please

Where can I find a list of top '09 draft prospects?
    Follow me on twitter @EricLilly7

While I won't be rooting for the Reds to lose, probably the best thing that could happen to them right now is to go on a long losing streak and solidify a top four draft pick for next season. The Nationals, Padres, and Mariners all pretty much have the first three picks locked up but the "race" for the fourth overall pick is wide open right now. Steven Strasburg is probably a lock for the number one overall pick. The next best player in Grant Green, who I want badly. Check out this tidbit on Green:

Green is clearly the top shortstop for the 2009 draft at this point, and he's the top overall position prospect as well. He was an easy choice for the No. 1 prospect in the Cape this summer. One scouting director I spoke to said he embodied the best of Troy Tulowitzki and Evan Longoria, and others compared his bat to Longoria's, high praise indeed. Though he's 6-foot-3 and 205 pounds, Green should be able to stay at shortstop.
    http://www.baseballamerica.com/today...08/266741.html

Green's bat is being compared to Evan Longoria and he also plays very good defense at shortstop. There is no chance he falls out of the top four spots and probably not even the top two. I think our best hope for landing Green is we end up with the number four overall pick and a couple of those teams ahead of us draft a high school player.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    I'd say the Reds are in better shape for future 'fallback' than most organizations. Daryl Thompson, Homer Bailey, Matt Maloney, Ben Jukich, Sam LeCure, Travis Wood, Jordan Smith, Scott Carroll, Alex Smit, Jeremy Horst, Evan Hildenbrandt, Shea Snowden, Kyle Lotzkar, etc. If the Reds are going to draft for need, I'm not sure I'd put pitching at the top of the list. I'd look more toward shortstop or catcher. Who do they have in the middle infield beyond Chris Valaika, Justin Turner, Alex Buchholz, Paul Janish, and Zack Cozart?
    I've read that Ryan Jackson from Miami looks to go in the 5-10 range.

http://hurricanesports.cstv.com/spor...on_ryan00.html

Anyone want to take a flyer this year on Crow?
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

Turn Off Ads?