Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Where will the Reds draft in '09?

Re: Where will the Reds draft in '09?

Quote Originally Posted by 11larkin11 View Post
    Anyone want to take a flyer this year on Crow?
    No, his mechanics will betray him.
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

Crow's mechanics are as bad as advertised, but I wouldn't pull my pitchfork out of the shed if the Reds drafted him. He's really good, and if he throws only 500 innings in the Major Leagues before his first major arm surgery, as long as he pitches average or better, I think it's still a good draft pick.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Crow's mechanics are as bad as advertised, but I wouldn't pull my pitchfork out of the shed if the Reds drafted him. He's really good, and if he throws only 500 innings in the Major Leagues before his first major arm surgery, as long as he pitches average or better, I think it's still a good draft pick.
    for a #4 pick. that's not good

The Reds need to steal some pitching coaching from organizations that have been successful.
    Who's on first?

Quote Originally Posted by redhawk61 View Post
    for a #4 pick. that's not good
    We all have different definitions of good. I would hope that the Reds get no worse than the fourt-best player available in the draft, but there are so many factors that make it extremely unlikely for that to happen. I look at draft picks as free agents: If they sign a guy with a $4,000,000 signing bonus, I expect him to provide the Reds with that much value on the field (which could be a league average right fielder for a year or two). I hope for more, but I don't think it's reasonable to expect all draft picks, even in the first round, to be worthy of their draft slots.

We all have different definitions of good. I would hope that the Reds get no worse than the fourt-best player available in the draft, but there are so many factors that make it extremely unlikely for that to happen. I look at draft picks as free agents: If they sign a guy with a $4,000,000 signing bonus, I expect him to provide the Reds with that much value on the field (which could be a league average right fielder for a year or two). I hope for more, but I don't think it's reasonable to expect all draft picks, even in the first round, to be worthy of their draft slots.
    So you are hoping for at least one year of ML average performance out of Alonso? I think he'll at least do that.
    "Iíll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. Thatís just how I do things.Ē -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

So you are hoping for at least one year of ML average performance out of Alonso? I think he'll at least do that.
    "Iíll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. Thatís just how I do things.Ē -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Yeah, kind of. For a contract of Alonso's size, I'd probably expect a little more than an average first baseman for one year but not much more. What I mean is that if he performs enough to be deserving of his contract (and who knows what $6mm will be worth in a couple years?), then it was a good pick in the sense that the Reds got their money's worth. Sure, that would mean there could have been much better picks, but as long as the Reds get what they paid for, I won't complain about the draft pick.

If the Reds give a 15th rounder a $10,000 signing bonus who ends up being a late-inning defensive replacement for a few years, I think that was a very good draft pick. Part of my logic comes from the fact that the overwhelming majority of draft picks never even play a single game in the Major Leagues.

If the season ended today, the Reds would draft 8th next year.

Seems like Washington, San Diego and Seattle will almost surely get the 1st 3 picks in some order. The other spots, to varying degrees, seem to be a bit more up for grabs.

Grant Green was named the best prospect in the Cape Cod League today by Baseball America. One scouting director compared him to a mix between Troy Tulowitzki and Evan Longoria. I would love to see the Reds get him but it's not going to happen unless the Reds lose about 25 games in a row. I'd say Strasburg and Green will go 1-2 in the draft.

Quote Originally Posted by kpresidente View Post
    I've read that Ryan Jackson from Miami looks to go in the 5-10 range.

http://hurricanesports.cstv.com/spor...on_ryan00.html
    Yeah keep an eye on him, could be a very good pick:

http://perfectgame.org/players/playe....aspx?ID=28115
    Ryan Jackson is a shortstop from Miami Springs, FL with a lean athletic build at 6-2, 170 lbs. excellent hands, very accurate, quick strong arm, good feet, nice turns on DP's, outstanding actions and body control, switch hitter, line drive swing plane, good bat speed, hits good pitching, potential to hit for power down the road, one of the top defensive infielders in the country, big time prospect, good student

Quote Originally Posted by redhawk61 View Post
    Yeah keep an eye on him, could be a very good pick:

http://perfectgame.org/players/playe....aspx?ID=28115
    Ryan Jackson is a shortstop from Miami Springs, FL with a lean athletic build at 6-2, 170 lbs. excellent hands, very accurate, quick strong arm, good feet, nice turns on DP's, outstanding actions and body control, switch hitter, line drive swing plane, good bat speed, hits good pitching, potential to hit for power down the road, one of the top defensive infielders in the country, big time prospect, good student
    sounds eerily similar to the pre-draft scouting report on David Espinosa
    Go BLUE!!!

sounds eerily similar to the pre-draft scouting report on David Espinosa
    Jackson's from a top college program. Espinosa was a high schooler (and his defense was considered a bit suspect).

Very intrigued by the bat of Dustin Ackley, a pure LH hitter from UNC. Rated #2 prospect on the Cape. Sounds like the kid can really rake, and there's talk of moving him to CF. There are going to be some nice arms there for the Reds, too, probably high schoolers.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

Where do the Reds stand at now in Draft order? Is it 8th pick so far?

Quote Originally Posted by Gallen5862 View Post
    Where do the Reds stand at now in Draft order? Is it 8th pick so far?
    Yes, we are guarenteed the 8th pick.

Turn Off Ads?