Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Skip Carey passes away at 68

Skip Carey passes away at 68

http://atlanta.braves.mlb.com/news/a...=.jsp&c_id=atl

ATLANTA -- The Braves family lost one of its most beloved members on Sunday, when Skip Caray passed away at his Atlanta-area home. He was 68.
    Caray, who would have celebrated his 69th birthday on Aug. 12, went to take a nap Sunday afternoon and didn't awake. He is survived by his wife, Paula, two sons, Chip and Josh, two daughters, Shayelyn and Cindy, and seven grandchildren.

"Our baseball community has lost a legend today," said Braves president John Schuerholz. "The Braves family and Braves fans everywhere will sadly miss him. Our thoughts are with his wife Paula and his children."

The two sons will carry on the family's rich broadcasting tradition, which began with Skip's father, Harry Caray, a Hall of Fame announcer who remains one of the most popular figures in baseball history.

Josh currently calls games for the Braves' Class A affiliate in Rome, Ga., and Chip serves as both a Braves announcer and the play-by-play announcer for TBS' Major League Baseball coverage. Chip was broadcasting Sunday's game between the Angels and Yankees at Yankee Stadium when he heard the startling news about his father.

"I'm just in shock," Chip said. "I know he wasn't feeling good, but this was unexpected. He hung the moon for me. I got to talk to him [on Saturday], and the last thing I got to say to him was, 'I love you.'"

Caray, who began broadcasting Braves games in 1976, battled multiple ailments over the past year that he linked to diabetes. When he wasn't available to broadcast this past weekend's series against the Brewers, it was revealed that he was suffering from bronchitis.

Although he was visibly weaker, Caray still brought his smile and humor to the ballpark on a consistent basis this season. Since the final month of last season, he had been limited to broadcasting only home games.

Caray was hospitalized during the latter portion of last season and faced even greater complications once the season concluded. In October 2007, doctors were concerned enough about Caray's health that they asked for all of his family members to come to the hospital to possibly pay their last respects. His liver was failing and the doctors in the intensive care unit felt they had done all that they could do.

Caray battled back and spent most of this past winter continuing to fight ailments that were affecting his liver, kidneys and heart. He said some of his prescribed medications worked in a counteractive manner and made it difficult for him to sleep.

When Caray returned to broadcast games at the beginning of this season, he talked about his near-death experience and said that he was happy to at least have an opportunity to return to the baseball world that had provided so much to himself and his family.

"I'm 68," Caray said on April 2. "If I go tonight, I've had a hell of a life."

While his presence may be gone, Caray's voice will continue forever live with the history of the Braves. His most memorable call arguably came when he exclaimed, "Yes! Yes! Yes!" after Braves center fielder Marquis Grissom caught the final out of the 1995 World Series.

The son of a Hall of Fame broadcaster, Skip devoted much of his life to the broadcasting world. He began his broadcasting career at KMOX Radio in St. Louis as host of a 15-minute high school sports show and later had an opportunity to broadcast University of Missouri football games with his father.

While he was most recognizable as a baseball announcer, Caray's versatile broadcasting skills allowed him to serve as an announcer for NBA games, NFL games, and other ventures like the Goodwill Games. He was named Georgia Sportscaster of the Year six times.

Caray's baseball broadcasting career began in 1963 with the Tulsa Oilers. He joined the NBA's St. Louis Hawks' broadcasting team in 1967 and relocated with them to Atlanta the following year.

Caray's arrival in Atlanta allowed him the opportunity to develop a friendship and working relationship with Ted Turner, whose innovative media initiatives allowed Caray and his close friend, Pete Van Wieren, to broadcast Braves games to a national audience on a superstation that would become TBS.

Caray and Van Wieren began broadcasting Braves games together in 1976 and were still serving as broadcast partners during radio broadcasts this season. Both of them were inducted in the Braves Hall of Fame in 2004.

Last year, when TBS ended its 30-year affiliation with the Braves, Caray was saddened to know he was saying goodbye to a number of people that had been so good to him. He was always extremely grateful for the outpouring of sympathy he received after his father died in 1998.

"In essence, you're saying goodbye to people who you've been part of their life for a long time," Caray said last August. "My access to them will now be denied."

Mark Bowman is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Skip Carey passes away at 68

I loved Skip. I can't believe he's gone.

Wow. I can't believe that. I didn't even know he was sick.

RIP Skip.

He made Braves games watchable for folks back when they stunk.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    And bearable when they became a pain in the side of the Reds...

Prayers to his family and friends...

You cannot defeat an ignorant man in an argument!
    -William Gibbs McAdoo

Though many of us here are sure trying

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Skip was a really good announcer, it took me having to spend 1/2 of every year in Atlanta for 6 years to really sink that fact in, but he was quite good.

Another part of my youth vanishes.

RIP.

I saw him in the press dining area back in May when the Reds were in Atlanta and was startled by how bad he looked. I had heard about his offseason health problems earlier in the spring, but his appearance still caught me off guard.

We're a Braves affiliate here at WCCP, and every morning we carry a recap of the previous night's game that one of the announcers records from the booth. Last week I noticed Skip seemed to be struggling more than usual, but still didn't see this coming.

After Marty, I've listened/watched Skip do baseball more than any other announcer. For a long, long time.

Sad, Sad day.
    Dan Scott, Director of Broadcasting
    Play-By-Play Voice
    Furman University Athletics
    Host of The Dan Scott Show, Facebook Live/Periscope
    Greenville/Clemson, SC

I grew up in North Carolina as a Reds fan, but had to rely on WTBS and WGN for my exposure to the Reds on TV. Even though I pulled against Atlanta every time, I always enjoyed Skip Caray. He was terrific.

Rest in peace, Skip. You're teamed with your dad Harry again.

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Very sad. Grew up listening to Harry and Skip. They helped me cultivate the love that I have for the game.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

I used to hate Skip Carey. He was the voice of the evil Braves. As I grew older, I learned to appreciate his dry humor and excellent radio voice. I had no idea he was even sick.

Rest in peace, Skip.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Really saddened to see this this morning. I always enjoyed his dry and sarcastic sense of humor. He was a very knowledgable baseball announcer who knew the game very well. Like most baseball announcers they are like old friends who come to visit everyday during the summer. I have one less friend now. RIP Skip Caray.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Hell, I had no idea he was 68 even. He'll be missed. Love him or hate him he shaped a generation of baseball fans on those TBS broadcasts of Braves games.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Sad to hear this; Skip was one of the good ones.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Worth The Wait

Ugh. Always hate to hear of anyone's passing-- but it always sinks in a bit more when someone you associate with your childhood dies. Like many, I hated the Braves, but appreciated Skip and relied heavily on TBS for baseball exposure growing up.

I will always remember what a stark contrast he was to his Dad....Harry was obviously over-the-top, loud, etc... Skip was much more understated and subtle. Both were great, but I was always intruiged by the difference.

RIP Skip.

Turn Off Ads?