Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Lost Quote?

Lost Quote?

I was reading Lance's blog for the first time in awhile, and he had this quote in bold:

"I have never wanted to win more than I do right here, and I will, but this is Wayne Krivsky's team, not Walt Jocketty's and not mine. I just hope there is enough out there after the season that we can get to help us." - Dusty Baker in Dayton Daily News

Did I miss this or was it hidden somewhere? Interesting that Dusty didn't notice that when he took the job.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Lost Quote?

Interesting indeed. Seems like Dusty makes a clear distinction between the Kriv and the Jock eras--and this would seem to suggest that the FO is doing so as well. Also seems to suggest that there may indeed be some resources to use in the offseason to get more parts for the roster. Lets hope those rumors about Sabathia are true. I would love to see the Reds be ambitious for once and really try to turn things around rather than remaining stuck between rebuilding and "contending."
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Dusty's players are going to love the fact that he has given up on them, and is hoping he can find some new guys for next year.

I have no doubt Dusty made that statement for CYA purposes, and he is correct in that WK did assemble this mess, but that statement is going to make the rest of this year more difficult in the clubhouse.
    sorry we're boring

Not Dusty's team? I suppose it was all Krivsky's idea to pursue Patterson, Bako, and Hairston?

Not Jocketty's, that's clear. But for Dusty to suggest that this isn't his crew is yet another chapter in the story of Dusty passing the buck. I'm not saying Dusty is to blame for the construction of the roster, but the man is allergic to accepting responsibility when things go wrong.

The man was carried for a decade by the greatest player of the generation, ran the Cubs in to the ground and was ousted after losing control, and now is distancing himself from the team after 4 months in Cincinnati. I simply don't understand how the man is considered a leader, let alone an elite manager.
    Last edited by RedsManRick; 08-04-2008 at 12:42 PM.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Not Dusty's team? I suppose it was all Krivsky's idea to pursue Patterson, Bako, and Hairston?

Not Jocketty's, that's clear. But for Dusty to suggest that this isn't his crew another chapter in the story of Dusty passing the buck. I'm not saying Dusty is to blame for the construction of the roster, but the man is allergic to accepting responsibility when things go wrong.

The man was carried for a decade by the greatest player of the generation, ran the Cubs in to the ground and was ousted after losing control, and now is distancing himself from the team after 4 months in Cincinnati. I simply don't understand how the man is considered a leader, let alone an elite manager.
    2/1/08 Signed C Paul Bako and LHP Scott Sauerbeck to Minor League contracts and invited them to Spring Training.

3/3/08 Signed 2B Jerry Hairston and OF Corey Patterson to Minor League contracts with invitations to Spring Training.
    Check out the dates on these moves...maybe Dusty realized that Wayne's roster was horrific and tried to give him as much time as possible to rectify it on his own.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    There are a whole lot of dumb people making important decisions in baseball.

Seems a little excessively hard on Dusty. He had very little role in building this team, despite CP. Bako, and Hairston (one of whom's been very good, a second somewhat useful, the third, obviously, a complete loss). WJ has had next to none. I'm really excited by the quote as it suggests to me there is recognition that the team needs major overhaul, a point I'm in complete agreement with.

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    Dusty's players are going to love the fact that he has given up on them, and is hoping he can find some new guys for next year.
    I think Dusty could make a case that the team gave up on the season first.

Seems a little excessively hard on Dusty.
    Sure, he's the whipping boy here and all that stuff he's done is obviously just stuff that ain't worth giving him credit for I get that, but to me he's just like any other baseball guy stupid to some a genius to others.

The disdain for his career in the game is laughable IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Sure, he's the whipping boy here and all that stuff he's done is obviously just stuff that ain't worth giving him credit for I get that, but to me he's just like any other baseball guy stupid to some a genius to others.

Fine post.

Anyone see Krivsky under there?
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

"This is Wayne Krivsky's manager and not Walt Jocketty's. I just hope there is a manager out there after the season that we can get to help us"

--princeton

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post

Speaking for myself, my disdain is not for Dusty's career. It is for characterizations of his career that suggest he's something he's not. It's for suggestions that a team's record, in isolation of reasonable expectations, is a fair measuring stick for managerial ability. It's for dismissing routine poor decisions. It's for substituting affability and experience for skill and good judgment.

Dusty had a very nice playing career and has been the manager of a number of good teams. He has many positive qualities and clearly some managerial skill. But to suggest that he thusly beyond reproach is laughable. We can judge his actions in a Reds uniform on their merits. If Dusty deserves credit for his winning seasons in San Fransisco and Chicago, I think it's only fair to assign him some portion of the blame in Cincinnati. Even strictly limiting our judgment to those things which are directly under his influence, 2008 has hardly been a success. Nobody has suggested that this season is all, or even mostly Dusty's fault. Even .500 seemed like a stretch goal at the outset. But that doesn't absolve him of responsibility for his contributions to the season this has become.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

"A Rose by Any Other. . " RedRoser's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by princeton View Post
    "This is Wayne Krivsky's manager and not Walt Jocketty's. I just hope there is a manager out there after the season that we can get to help us"

--princeton
    Excellent, princeton, just excellent!

Dead men tell no tales.

I'm sure Dusty would've been the first to congradulate Wayne K. if things worked out.

Turn Off Ads?