Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Top 10 largest college football stadiums

Hybrid View

Top 10 largest college football stadiums

A few observations: I didn't realize the Colliseum held that many people now. They must have done some remodeling lately. I didn't realize Bama and Georgia's stadiums were that big. Georgia and tOSU fans sure do a good job of wearing red. Playing at LSU at night looks intimidating. And that's without the noise. Interesting they picked a non game day picture for Michigan. I thought there'd be more orange at Tennessee. PSU's stadium is just huge.

http://collegefootball.rivals.com/ph...1144&fid=23711
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Re: Top 10 largest college football stadiums

What I find most entertaining about Beaver Stadium is that it sits in a town of 40,000 people and yet it always sells out. I grew up in State College and can attest that there's not much else to do a Saturday afternoon in Happy Valley.

As it expanded, the stadium has taken on a Frankenstein quality. Aesthetically, it can't hold a candle to the Horseshoe or Bryant-Denny.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    As it expanded, the stadium has taken on a Frankenstein quality. Aesthetically, it can't hold a candle to the Horseshoe or Bryant-Denny.

Good comparison. A lot of the other ones - especially the Big House - don't look really big.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Ahh those upper decks so far from the action, gotta love those things.
    Go Gators!

What is funny is that football is probably the worst spectator sport in person. A five yard run on TV looks huge, but in person it looks like nothing. Football games get by almost solely on atmosphere.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

Ahhh, I'm an old guy.

I remember Ohio Stadium without the south stands (where that shot in the link was taken from), with the track around the football field, and without the new upper seats (the rows above the far end notch). When I'd put a 12 pack of Stroh's in my backpack and just walk into a game. And the upper deck would have a definite counter-culture haze hanging above it.

With the escalating sizes of their stadia, it seems that tOSU and UM suffer from a case of stadium envy.

Pay attention to the open sky

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Ahhh, I'm an old guy.

I remember Ohio Stadium without the south stands (where that shot in the link was taken from), with the track around the football field, and without the new upper seats (the rows above the far end notch). When I'd put a 12 pack of Stroh's in my backpack and just walk into a game. And the upper deck would have a definite counter-culture haze hanging above it.
    I am glad I got to experience the stadium before the renovation, not that I mind it after-the-fact.

With the escalating sizes of their stadia, it seems that tOSU and UM suffer from a case of stadium envy.
    They could each add 10,000 seats today and still sell out. I fear that over the next decade access to tOSU football tickets is going to just get leaner and leaner. The Mrs. and I have already talked about trying to set up a yearly road-trip so we can at least get to one game a year.

GL

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Georgia fans sure do a good job of wearing red.
    That's just the backs of their necks.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Interesting they picked a non game day picture for Michigan.
    I'm thinking that has to do with the renovations going on at the Big House, probably wanted a current picture.

crazy to think of the size of some of these stadiums and the still high demand of tickets. OSU or UM could probably get up to around 115,00 - 125,000 seats and still sell out.

Start the Reactor! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MasonBuzz3 View Post
    crazy to think of the size of some of these stadiums and the still high demand of tickets. OSU or UM could probably get up to around 115,00 - 125,000 seats and still sell out.
    I agree they would sellout on Big Ten games, but I have a hard time seeing tOSU selling 125,000 tickets for the Youngstown State Game. The scalpars will practically be giving away tickets by game time...
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

IU is expanding the stadium in Bloomington...and they can't draw 40,000 a game except when a Big Ten team's fans come to visit.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    IU is expanding the stadium in Bloomington...and they can't draw 40,000 a game except when a Big Ten team's fans come to visit.
    Don't look now but IU is poised to explode as a real force in BigTen Football...when they win the fans will come.

Maybe someone should get that plan to Mr.C?
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

Quote Originally Posted by MartyFan View Post
    Don't look now but IU is poised to explode as a real force in BigTen Football...when they win the fans will come.

Maybe someone should get that plan to Mr.C?
    As soon as they improve, their coach will leave.

As a side note, I know the "SEC is better than the Big Ten" has been beaten to death, but here is what sealed it for me. I lived in Lexington for three years. Lexington is obviously a basketball town and yet they still filled 65,000 seats for every game, even during the lean years. The same goes for Starkeville, Oxford, and Columbia. South Carolina is a historically abysmal football program, and yet they always sold out or close to it. There are no road/home games. In the Big Ten, OSU plays home games in Columbus, Evanston, Bloomington, Champaign, Minneapolis, and during some season, West Lafayette.

Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    As soon as they improve, their coach will leave.

As a side note, I know the "SEC is better than the Big Ten" has been beaten to death, but here is what sealed it for me. I lived in Lexington for three years. Lexington is obviously a basketball town and yet they still filled 65,000 seats for every game, even during the lean years. The same goes for Starkeville, Oxford, and Columbia. South Carolina is a historically abysmal football program, and yet they always sold out or close to it. There are no road/home games. In the Big Ten, OSU plays home games in Columbus, Evanston, Bloomington, Champaign, Minneapolis, and during some season, West Lafayette.

That doesn't make the SEC better at anything. It means their fans value college football more than others. That's their thing. The NFL struggles to compete in Georgia and especially Jacksonville.

The Midwest (outside of OSU/Michigan) is much more of a college hoops area than college football. How many SEC schools can't fill up a basketball arena without UK fans' help? And then you have the NFL and baseball. Sports interests in Big Ten country are very diverse. Much less so in the SEC.
    Last edited by guttle11; 08-10-2008 at 11:16 PM.
    "I saw Wedding Crashers accidentally. I bought a ticket for Grizzly Man and went into the wrong theater. After an hour, I figured I was in the wrong theater, but I kept waiting. Thatís the thing about bear attacks. They come when you least expect it."-Dwight K. Schrute

Quote Originally Posted by guttle11 View Post
    That doesn't make the SEC better at anything. It means their fans value college football more than others. That's their thing. The NFL struggles to compete in Georgia and especially Jacksonville.

The Midwest (outside of OSU/Michigan) is much more of a college hoops area than college football. How many SEC schools can't fill up a basketball arena without UK fans' help? And then you have the NFL and baseball. Sports interests in Big Ten country are very diverse. Much less so in the SEC.
    I was talking about college football. The expectations for SEC football are astronomical. Urban Meyer was at the SEC Media Day and looked around the room and said that 10 coaches think that their team is going to be playing in the SEC title game in Atlanta. In the Big Ten, there are maybe 3-4 teams each year that even think they have a chance.

I do agree about basketball, but the talk here is about football. Also historically, the SEC schools don't have pro teams to compete with. Wisconsin would keep the Pack over the Badgers, Minneapolis would keep the Vikings over the Gophers, etc... What else is there to watch in Alabama, Mississippi, South Carolina, etc...

Turn Off Ads?