Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Top 10 largest college football stadiums

Top 10 largest college football stadiums

A few observations: I didn't realize the Colliseum held that many people now. They must have done some remodeling lately. I didn't realize Bama and Georgia's stadiums were that big. Georgia and tOSU fans sure do a good job of wearing red. Playing at LSU at night looks intimidating. And that's without the noise. Interesting they picked a non game day picture for Michigan. I thought there'd be more orange at Tennessee. PSU's stadium is just huge.

http://collegefootball.rivals.com/ph...1144&fid=23711
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Top 10 largest college football stadiums

What I find most entertaining about Beaver Stadium is that it sits in a town of 40,000 people and yet it always sells out. I grew up in State College and can attest that there's not much else to do a Saturday afternoon in Happy Valley.

As it expanded, the stadium has taken on a Frankenstein quality. Aesthetically, it can't hold a candle to the Horseshoe or Bryant-Denny.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    As it expanded, the stadium has taken on a Frankenstein quality. Aesthetically, it can't hold a candle to the Horseshoe or Bryant-Denny.

Good comparison. A lot of the other ones - especially the Big House - don't look really big.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Ahh those upper decks so far from the action, gotta love those things.
    Go Gators!

What is funny is that football is probably the worst spectator sport in person. A five yard run on TV looks huge, but in person it looks like nothing. Football games get by almost solely on atmosphere.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

Ahhh, I'm an old guy.

I remember Ohio Stadium without the south stands (where that shot in the link was taken from), with the track around the football field, and without the new upper seats (the rows above the far end notch). When I'd put a 12 pack of Stroh's in my backpack and just walk into a game. And the upper deck would have a definite counter-culture haze hanging above it.

With the escalating sizes of their stadia, it seems that tOSU and UM suffer from a case of stadium envy.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Ahhh, I'm an old guy.

I remember Ohio Stadium without the south stands (where that shot in the link was taken from), with the track around the football field, and without the new upper seats (the rows above the far end notch). When I'd put a 12 pack of Stroh's in my backpack and just walk into a game. And the upper deck would have a definite counter-culture haze hanging above it.
    I am glad I got to experience the stadium before the renovation, not that I mind it after-the-fact.

With the escalating sizes of their stadia, it seems that tOSU and UM suffer from a case of stadium envy.
    They could each add 10,000 seats today and still sell out. I fear that over the next decade access to tOSU football tickets is going to just get leaner and leaner. The Mrs. and I have already talked about trying to set up a yearly road-trip so we can at least get to one game a year.

GL

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Georgia fans sure do a good job of wearing red.
    That's just the backs of their necks.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Interesting they picked a non game day picture for Michigan.
    I'm thinking that has to do with the renovations going on at the Big House, probably wanted a current picture.

crazy to think of the size of some of these stadiums and the still high demand of tickets. OSU or UM could probably get up to around 115,00 - 125,000 seats and still sell out.

Quote Originally Posted by MasonBuzz3 View Post
    crazy to think of the size of some of these stadiums and the still high demand of tickets. OSU or UM could probably get up to around 115,00 - 125,000 seats and still sell out.
    I agree they would sellout on Big Ten games, but I have a hard time seeing tOSU selling 125,000 tickets for the Youngstown State Game. The scalpars will practically be giving away tickets by game time...

IU is expanding the stadium in Bloomington...and they can't draw 40,000 a game except when a Big Ten team's fans come to visit.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

At least the Big Ten is first in something.

Quote Originally Posted by MaineRed View Post
    We have our winner

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MaineRed View Post
    You mean besides getting run out of the stadium in national title games?
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    You mean besides getting run out of the stadium in national title games?
    Yep, that's still not old...
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Turn Off Ads?