Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Reds vs Brewers 8/4/08

Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar

Re: Reds vs Brewers 8/4/08

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    I said it over on the Old Red Guard and got ripped, but I'll say it again. Next year begins and ends with Votto and Bruce, as to position players. EE and Phillips are massively overrated and Dunn's money has got to go to fill several spots. Keppinger is proving to be strictly a backup. None of the catchers will be back next year, IMO.
    Don't count on not having Ross around. For some odd reason, and even though Bako plays a lot, people in this organization value Ross. I've seem him botch a lot of throws (not catching them--a trait that seems to be the Reds' own problem), and look clueless at the plate enough to not value him, but to each his own I guess. I'd go with a kid who can learn over a guy who will never get any better, but that's just my opinion.

I've commented elsewhere on this forum about my frustration and impatience concerning Encarnacion. No position is more important than the hot corner and Encarnacion just doesn't measure up. Once again, just my opinion, but if he remains a Red longer than next year I'll be surprised.

Phillips is a wizard in the field at times, but he has serious problems at the plate in that he just swings at everything. The theory he uses is that he will fail sometimes, but will do great things other times and that is and has been true over his career with the Reds. Look at his OBP and you see that he is almost an automatic out a lot of the time. Can you build a team around him? No. He's OK and I'm glad he's on our team, but I wish he batted 7th instead of 4th.

Part of the problem I've seen with this team is overvalueing some of the personnel. Many value Freel, EdE, Phillips and consider them building blocks for the future. I don't see it like that, but like I said, to each his own. Don't be surprised if the team you see today won't be here in 2009 if there are other options.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds vs Brewers 8/4/08

I have a strong feeling the 2009 team will not look much at all like the 2008 version. In Walt we must trust. And I think it's doubtful Ross will be back. He's going to cost too much for what he brings. I suspect our starter at C is now wearing a Rangers uniform.

Turn Off Ads?