Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Parra/Fielder: Some interesting comments on a Brewer Forum

6 months of heartbreak Bob Borkowski's Avatar

Parra/Fielder: Some interesting comments on a Brewer Forum

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Parra/Fielder: Some interesting comments on a Brewer Forum

Those guys make it sound like Prince Fielder is the first guy to shove a teammate. It happens, usually for dumb reasons all the time. Parra probably criticized Fielder's inability to get Votto's 2 RBI single and Fielder reacted poorly at a frustrating point. The criticism was just a big a no-no IMO. Never show up your fielders. This was a nothing situation that just happened to be in the public's eye.

I didn't know that a winning club could have so many malcontents, did you?
    It just goes to prove tht fans are fans. Some want Prince's and Ned's head over this while other condone the behavior, in true fan form, or rationalize his behavior and say it doesn't mean anything. Interesting.

Wonder how we'll react when the Reds start winning? Or maybe I should have said if.

I hope they sit him for at least two games, don't you?
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Here's what they said
    By Tom Haudricourt
    Monday, Aug 4 2008, 10:25 PM

Cincinnati - Prince Fielder wasn't talking afterward and Manny Parra said very little but here's what others had to say, plus some details about what probably set off the fight between Parra and Fielder in the seventh inning of the game tonight between the Brewers and Reds at Great American Ball Park:

The altercation came almost a year to the day after a dugout altercation involving Ned Yost and a couple of players at Miller Park.

Afterward, as expected, the combatants refused to discuss the details of the incident. Parra danced around the subject, saying "it's already been taken care of," and Fielder sent word through a club spokesman that he wouldn't talk about it.

It was last Aug. 2 of last season that Yost became involved in a dugout dispute with catcher Johnny Estrada and infielder Tony Graffanino, neither of whom are with the team this year. Yost at the time downplayed the incident and said it was nobody's business, a refrain he repeated this time around.

"It's not a big deal," said Yost. "For eight months a year, we're a family. At times things happen, flare up, but it's between the family. It's in the family.

"It's a little bit rude when your neighbors are fighting next-door for you to go knock on the door and ask what happened. We handle it ourselves. It's between us and it's nobody's business. But it wasn't that big a deal."

Cameras caught Fielder and Parra engaged in a discussion near the tunnel that leads from the clubhouse to the dugout. Fielder was talking to Parra and gesturing with his right arm to the field.

Parra, who surrendered six runs in six innings, had just been lifted from the game for a pinch-hitter. Someone who overheard parts of the conversation said Parra apparently was headed back to the clubhouse and an agitated Fielder told him he should remain in the dugout to watch the Brewers bat that inning.

Parra snatched up his cap and jacket from the bench and was walking toward the other end, side-by-side with Fielder when the 270-pound first baseman suddenly turned and forcefully pushed Parra onto the bench. Fielder then lunged at Parra again and shoved him hard with both arms.

At that point, several players, including Bill Hall, Ray Durham, Dave Bush and Ryan Braun, with pitching coach Mike Maddux also intervening, jumped in, grabbed Fielder and pushed him to the dugout floor.

Though the sight of Fielder physically attacking the unsuspecting Parra ws shocking, Braun said it was not considered a major incident by the players.

"You spend a lot of time with people, on and off the field, you're going to have arguments, get in fights," said Braun. "Sometimes you need that emotion and passion to break up the monotony. It's not necessarily a bad thing.

"It could be a bad thing if half the guys side with one person and half the guys side with the other. But I think everybody looks at it as a minor incident. It's unfortunate that it happened in front of the cameras because I'm sure the media will make it into more than what it was. Things like that happen over the course of the season.

"It does look bad. I agree. I completely understand how it looks. But things like that happen over the course of the season. I really don't view it as a negative. I'm sure they'll hate each other for a couple of days, then get over it and be friends soon enough."

Fielder has admitted many times in the past that he has a temper but he also is considered a central part of the club, on and off the field. Players often talk about the chemistry within the clubhouse and veteran infielder Craig Counsell said he didn't expect that to be altered by the incident.

"You never want stuff like that to happen," said Counsell. "But who cares? We lost tonight. That's the worst thing that happened.

"It's forgotten when we come here tomorrow. We've got to win the game tomorrow. All your focus is trying to win the game tomorrow. It's not surprising. We're all competing and trying real hard. It's going to happen.

"You know there's not a problem in this clubhouse. You know that. We have tempers. We're humans. There's a bad side to everybody. It happens but we're going to move on."

Yost, who almost certainly will discipline Fielder for attacking a teammate, also said the matter will be forgotten when the Brewers report to the ball park today. And he again insisted no one should make a big deal of it.

"There' a privacy issue here somewhere," said Yost. "Just because it's on TV doesn't make it anybody's right to know what happened. It's between us.

"If you want to know what happened, what transpired blow by blow, or what words were said, I'm sorry. You're not going to know. It's private. It's between us and it's not a big deal. It's not the first time it happened and it won't be the last.

"It's what happens. It makes teams better. It's not a problem. It's nobody's business."

http://blogs.jsonline.com/brewers/ar...they-said.aspx

So...any more doubt about Fielder being in Milwaukee next season?

Team in meltdown anyone?
    Go Gators!

Jocks fighting during a loss?

Color me surprised.

Sometimes the internet makes us think that uniqueness is as relative as the suddenness of the reporting is quick.

Looks like Prince Fielder is some Brewers fan's version of Dunn - there are quite a few who do not like the guy at all.
    I'd take him.

Looks like fielder got more from his dad than his body type.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by MrCinatit View Post
    Looks like Prince Fielder is some Brewers fan's version of Dunn - there are quite a few who do not like the guy at all.
    I'd take him.
    He'd be hated in this town more then Dunn.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by MrCinatit View Post
    I'd take him.
    Yep. One guy on there says he doesn't like Fielder because he's overweight. He's coming off arguably the best season in Brewer history (at age 23 to boot) and yet it seems half the fans don't like him on that board. I don't understand it. Like you said, it sort of reminds me of Dunn and Reds fans.

that Brewer thread not only made my head hurt, but adds to my doubts about the judgement of most mortals. . .
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by durl View Post
    So...any more doubt about Fielder being in Milwaukee next season?

Fielder may not be a Brewer next year because of his unwillingness to sign an extension and the cost of same.

This incident will have nothing to do woth whether or not that happens.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Manny Fielder

Looks like Prince is the whipping boy for Brewers fans. Seems like they view Prince like too many Reds fans view Dunn--he's underappreciated.

Turn Off Ads?