Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Tuesday August 5th minor league updates

Re: Tuesday August 5th minor league updates

I wonder if we're seeing a change of approach at the plate by Stubbs. He's striking out less, 17 Ks in 76 at bats, at AA. He's hitting for a higher average. Yet a low SLG, less power than in previous years. Could he be focusing more on contact and spraying the ball around? Or maybe it's just a small sample size. In any event, he seems to be hitting and getting on base consistently so far at AA. Ok with me, I'm not concerned with power hitting from Stubbs.
    Last edited by Kc61; 08-06-2008 at 10:43 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

he didn't show in season improvement. His OBP dropped from April to May to a pedestrian level. didn't improve much in June. His power completely dried up in those two months. If there was a player that deserved promotion because he SHOWED he could handle pitching at a higher level, it was Todd Frazier.
    Suck it up cupcake.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I wonder if we're seeing a change of approach at the plate by Stubbs. He's striking out less, 17 Ks in 76 at bats, at AA. He's hitting for a higher average. Yet a low SLG, less power than in previous years. Could he be focusing more on contact and spraying the ball around? Or maybe it's just a small sample size. In any event, he seems to be hitting and getting on base consistently so far at AA. Ok with me, I'm not concerned with power hitting from Stubbs.
    I'd say sample as the three weeks prior to this last week, he hadn't hit squat.

I think his stats for August will be far more telling about Stubbs in AA than July. July has to taken as an adjustment period. I'll give him that much.
    Suck it up cupcake.

In season improvement? Its a LONG season. His April was the best so far, his July was the second best. His overall game has shown improvement from last year. I think you are reaching a lot on this one TRF.

the data for July is unreliable as it contains info from two levels. I give Stubbs a pass on July (which for the most part kinda sucked) as it is an adjustment period. May and June weren't bad, they were atrocious. And that is NOT reaching.

Most of July in AA past his first game, he was awful, but that was him adjusting to better pitching. This first week in August has been a bit better, He's made an adjustment. I'm interested in the end of August when his book in AA is known by opposing pitching coaches. We saw what happened in May when his book was established. He was completely overmatched at the plate. It wasn't bad luck, not for 180 AB's it wasn't.

I think he's got a long road to the majors UNLESS he's forced up the ladder. He obviously would have lost all value had he stayed in Sarasota, do this bump might help him. I hope it does.
    Suck it up cupcake.

Go Drew Stubbs.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Go Drew Stubbs.
    And take Corey Patterson with you.

couldn't resist.
    Suck it up cupcake.

Turn Off Ads?