Turn Off Ads?
Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Barry Larkin and the end of the season.

  1. #1
    On the brink of disaster acredsfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    627

    Barry Larkin and the end of the season.

    Ok, as much as Dusty Baker doesn't want to admit it, we aren't going to come back. We have almost 2 months remaining in the season. While I do think we should see some younger players, there is one piece of business I would like to see BCast and the Reds take care of and that is getting Barry Larkin back in the fold. I know it probably wouldn't happen this year with him under contract with another MLB franchise, but I've got a crazy idea that would really bring closure to the bad situation.

    Barry wasn't really given a proper farewell from the team, city, or fans. We didn't know what would happen, even if he would wear another uniform as a player. We now long to see him back in Cincinnati though, so let's do it in style. I would personally sign him to a one day player contract, let him start the game on the field and leading off. It would be awful hard to not put him in at SS, but I know people would accept the idea better by hiding him in the OF. If he records any put outs in the field, great. Next, let him bat in the bottom of the 1st in front of his home crowd and give him the ovation he should have gotten under the right circumstances. If he strikes out, at least he ends his career without controversy. I know I'm rambling, but since it is a lost season, why not give a great player his proper retirement. Let him take his last at bat without wondering if he will play again. Let Cincinnati show how much they appreciate what he has done.
    Last edited by acredsfan; 08-05-2008 at 04:42 PM.
    "I thought I'd get your theories, mock them, then embrace my own. The usual." -- House

    "You guys are still thinking like doctors when you should be thinking like plumbers. Come on, I wanna see some butt crack." -- House

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Rally Onion! Chip R's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    34,336

    Re: Barry Larkin and the end of the season.

    Quote Originally Posted by acredsfan View Post
    Ok, as much as Dusty Baker doesn't want to admit it, we aren't going to come back. We have almost 2 months remaining in the season. While I do think we should see some younger players, there is one piece of business I would like to see BCast and the Reds take care of and that is getting Barry Larkin back in the fold. I know it probably wouldn't happen this year with him under contract with another MLB franchise, but I've got a crazy idea that would really bring closure to the bad situation.

    Barry wasn't really given a proper farewell from the team, city, or fans. We didn't know what would happen, even if he would wear another uniform as a player. We now long to see him back in Cincinnati though, so let's do it in style. I would personally sign him to a one day player contract, let him start the game on the field and leading off. It would be awful hard to not put him in at SS, but I know people would accept the idea better by hiding him in the OF. If he records any put outs in the field, great. Next, let him bat in the bottom of the 1st in front of his home crowd and give him the ovation he should have gotten under the right circumstances. If he strikes out, at least he ends his career without controversy. I know I'm rambling, but since it is a lost season, why not give a great player his proper retirement. Let him take his last at bat without wondering if he will play again. Let Cincinnati show how much they appreciate what he has done.

    And then he'd have to wait till 2013 for election to the HOF.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

  4. #3
    Member Highlifeman21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN
    Posts
    8,694

    Re: Barry Larkin and the end of the season.

    Quote Originally Posted by acredsfan View Post
    Ok, as much as Dusty Baker doesn't want to admit it, we aren't going to come back. We have almost 2 months remaining in the season. While I do think we should see some younger players, there is one piece of business I would like to see BCast and the Reds take care of and that is getting Barry Larkin back in the fold. I know it probably wouldn't happen this year with him under contract with another MLB franchise, but I've got a crazy idea that would really bring closure to the bad situation.

    Barry wasn't really given a proper farewell from the team, city, or fans. We didn't know what would happen, even if he would wear another uniform as a player. We now long to see him back in Cincinnati though, so let's do it in style. I would personally sign him to a one day player contract, let him start the game on the field and leading off. It would be awful hard to not put him in at SS, but I know people would accept the idea better by hiding him in the OF. If he records any put outs in the field, great. Next, let him bat in the bottom of the 1st in front of his home crowd and give him the ovation he should have gotten under the right circumstances. If he strikes out, at least he ends his career without controversy. I know I'm rambling, but since it is a lost season, why not give a great player his proper retirement. Let him take his last at bat without wondering if he will play again. Let Cincinnati show how much they appreciate what he has done.
    Interesting idea.

    I guess if we had the circus come to town for the arrival of Homer Bailey last year, we could definitely have the circus return to town for a Barry Larkin farewell.

  5. #4
    Member top6's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    cincinnati
    Posts
    1,653

    Re: Barry Larkin and the end of the season.

    Hopefully gates can open 6 hours before the game so Barry can give another speech. I'm sure there are many people he did not thank the first time.

  6. #5
    Member OnBaseMachine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    34,844

    Re: Barry Larkin and the end of the season.

    Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    And then he'd have to wait till 2013 for election to the HOF.
    Exactly. As much as I miss watching him play, bringing him back as a player isn't something I would do. However, I would LOVE to see him back in the organization next year as a coach, broadcaster, front office type, or whatever, just as long as he's back where he belongs.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

  7. #6
    All dyslexics must untie!
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    SW Portland, OR
    Posts
    8,604

    Re: Barry Larkin and the end of the season.

    Can the Reds sign Barry's brother for a day and start him at first base?

    (been there, done that)

    I suspect Barry would politely decline a curtain call on this year's fan appreciation day.
    (maybe BL should show up in the Red's dugout for the last couple of innings anyway, to "make up for the early exit" back in McKeon's day?...I keed)

    Now that John Allen is out of the front office I wouldn't be surprised to see Larkin back on the payroll on Opening day, '09.

    It's time to put peanut butter (BL) and jelly (the Reds) back "together againnn"...

    (could a series of new JTM commercials be in the making?)
    Never overlook the obvious

  8. #7
    Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Rainelle, WV
    Posts
    8,027

    Re: Barry Larkin and the end of the season.

    Quote Originally Posted by top6 View Post
    Hopefully gates can open 6 hours before the game so Barry can give another speech. I'm sure there are many people he did not thank the first time.
    Oh my!
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

  9. #8
    Tired of talk. Win! Joseph's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    The Commonwealth
    Posts
    8,346

    Re: Barry Larkin and the end of the season.

    I love tradition and history as much as the next guy, but this call to 'pay respect' to players is a little much for me sometime. Lost season or not its a bit disrespectful to the game to give a one day contract to someone just so the fans can give him an ovation.

    Trot him out for a first pitch, do a bobble head, whatever, but this is over the top. The Reds owe Barry Larkin NOTHING.

    Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

  10. #9
    Just The Big Picture macro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    The Bluegrass State
    Posts
    6,150

    Re: Barry Larkin and the end of the season.

    It all seems a bit Bill Veeck-ish to me...


  11. #10
    For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Oakwood, OH
    Posts
    11,657

    Re: Barry Larkin and the end of the season.

    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    I love tradition and history as much as the next guy, but this call to 'pay respect' to players is a little much for me sometime. Lost season or not its a bit disrespectful to the game to give a one day contract to someone just so the fans can give him an ovation.

    Trot him out for a first pitch, do a bobble head, whatever, but this is over the top. The Reds owe Barry Larkin NOTHING.
    Amen. $78,467,500 in salary for his career. A World Series ring. The REDS have done their share for Barry. And Barry did a lot for the REDS. Neither one owes the other anything.
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

  12. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Posts
    447

    Re: Barry Larkin and the end of the season.

    I was at Barry's last game. It certainly felt like a farewell; Barry removed himself from the lineup in the middle of the game (after hitting into a double play in his last at-bat); went to his position at shortstop and then had a replacement (Lopez?) come out to replace him.
    I know he later (as in a few minutes later, over the public address system) expressed a desire to play one more season, but everyone in the ballpark that day knew that we were witnessing what almost certainly was his last day as a Red.
    Also was at Bench's last game in 1983, several days after attending Johnny Bench Night, when he hit that final homer. In his last at-bat, as a pinch-hitter in a meaningless game against Frank Robinson's Giants, he hit a single to left field with the bases loaded, then left for a pinch-runner.
    The career-long Red who got no send-off whatsoever: Dave Concepcion in the late 1980s. He tried out for the Angels the following spring (1989?), but didn't make the final cut and retired.

  13. #12
    Member 919191's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    the corner bar
    Posts
    3,786

    Re: Barry Larkin and the end of the season.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mainspark View Post
    I was at Barry's last game. It certainly felt like a farewell; Barry removed himself from the lineup in the middle of the game (after hitting into a double play in his last at-bat); went to his position at shortstop and then had a replacement (Lopez?) come out to replace him.
    Anderson Machado, who quickly ranged into the first base side of second to field a ground ball and throw the runner out. I was there, too, and I told my wife as much as I liked Larkin, it's been a long time since he could make a play like that.
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

  14. #13
    Where's my chair? REDREAD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Posts
    20,895

    Re: Barry Larkin and the end of the season.

    Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    And then he'd have to wait till 2013 for election to the HOF.

    Barry has said publicly that he doesn't care if he is in the Hall of Fame or not.
    Of course, at the time, his comment was that since Rose wasn't in it, he didn't care. Now that Rose has been exposed, maybe Barry feels differently.

    As a side note, looking bad, I am mad at Pete for letting people like Barry and Mike Schmidt stick their necks out and defend Pete's character.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

    Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

  15. #14
    Rally Onion! Chip R's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    34,336

    Re: Barry Larkin and the end of the season.

    Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Barry has said publicly that he doesn't care if he is in the Hall of Fame or not.
    Of course, at the time, his comment was that since Rose wasn't in it, he didn't care. Now that Rose has been exposed, maybe Barry feels differently.

    As a side note, looking bad, I am mad at Pete for letting people like Barry and Mike Schmidt stick their necks out and defend Pete's character.

    Riiight. That reminds me of the old saying, "You may be against beauty contests but if you're in one you want them to judge you pretty."

    We seem to forget that Barry Larkin is an employee of the Washington Nationals through the end of the season. I think they might object to him playing shortstop for another organization - even for one game.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

  16. #15
    Member durl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Nashvull
    Posts
    1,749

    Re: Barry Larkin and the end of the season.

    Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    Amen. $78,467,500 in salary for his career. A World Series ring. The REDS have done their share for Barry. And Barry did a lot for the REDS. Neither one owes the other anything.
    I was thinking something along those lines. Larkin got a nice farewell from Cincinnati when he was given about $28 million to play between 2001-2004 with grand totals of 19 HR, 126 RBI, and 195 Runs. $27 million of that got the Reds 11 HR, 82 RBIs, 140 Runs between 2001-2003.

    Larkin was truly great. A leader in the clubhouse, a consistent hitter, and an excellent fielder. I just think his last contracts were more about emotion than making the team better.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25