Turn Off Ads?

Thread: DDN article on Dunn

DDN article on Dunn

No doubt when Dunn homers
    The slugger is leading the major leagues in home runs and is on pace to hit 45 this year.
    Comment: Can he do it?

By Matt O'Donnell

Staff Writer

Wednesday, August 06, 2008

CINCINNATI — David Weathers has enjoyed every home run he's seen Adam Dunn hit.

Except one.

When Weathers was pitching for the New York Mets in 2003, Dunn hit a two-run homer off him after the Mets had closed within one in the previous inning. The Reds eventually won 8-5.

"He's got some serious thunder in his bat," Weathers said. "A lot of these guys want to talk about average and getting on base and stuff like that, but guys like Adam Dunn, one swing of the bat and they change the course of the game."

The Reds will decide exactly how valuable Dunn is to them after the season when the slugger files for free agency. Until then, there is history to chase.

Entering the game Tuesday night, Aug. 5, against the Milwaukee Brewers, Dunn led the major leagues with 32 home runs (Ryan Howard of the Phillies had 31). He is on course for 45, one short of his career high. If Dunn continues at his current pace, he would produce 40 or more home runs for the fifth consecutive season.

Dunn ranks sixth on the Reds' all-time home run list with 238, six away from George Foster. He is second only to St. Louis Cardinals first baseman Albert Pujols (282) in home runs among active players under age 28.

Despite all that, Dunn has never led the majors (or the National League) in homers. If he were able to lead the majors this year, it would be the first time a Red has accomplished the feat since Foster hit 52 in 1977. Foster led the NL with 40 homers in 1978.

"I don't pay attention to it until the end of the year," Dunn said. "If that happens at the end of the year, that'd be cool."

It's not just the fact that Dunn hits them; it's the way he does it.

In 2004, Dunn hit a 535-foot homer off Los Angeles Dodgers pitcher Jose Lima that bounced off Mehring Way and landed on a piece of driftwood in the Ohio River. It is the longest home run at Great American Ball Park.

"(His home run power) is definitely at the top," Milwaukee Brewers power-hitting first baseman Prince Fielder said. "He has just as much or more power than anyone else in the league."

"He hits them and you just laugh," teammate Jay Bruce said. "The ones he hits are no doubters. It doesn't matter where he's at."

The only chink in Dunn's armor as a power hitter is that his production falls off late in the season. In September, he's a career .219 hitter with 20 home runs and 60 RBIs, about half of his production in other months.

"When you get into September you've got more matchups," Dunn said. "You've got more pitchers getting called up that you haven't faced. There's obviously a lot more lefties. It's just a variety of things that have contributed to that."

Packing A Punch

Entering Tuesday's game, Adam Dunn led the National League in home runs (32) and had the best HR ratio (at-bats for every homer):

Player Ratio

1. Adam Dunn, Reds 10.9

2. Ryan Ludwick, Cardinals 13.3

3. Ryan Howard, Phillies 13.6

3. Pat Burrell, Phillies 13.6

5. Dan Uggla, Marlins 13.8

Source: mlb.com

http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/con...608spdunn.html

This is a new article but the information is old. Dunn now has 270 career homeruns and is fourth all-time on the Reds homerun list.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Re: DDN article on Dunn

obm......i would love to talk baseball.....and maybe some Dunn.... matthewsteinmann@clearchannel.com
    Last edited by Matt700wlw; 08-06-2008 at 02:45 AM.

I think Matt O'Donnell had the very best of intensions while writing this article. He or his Editor just made an error by publishing false information.

Dunn had 238 HRs and stood sixth on the Reds all-time HR list coming into this season. Adam had 270 HRs and stood fourth on the Reds all-time Hr list going into the game on Aug. 5, 2008.

I've heard tell that the media has a way of swaying popular belief. It seems to me that even when the media tries to explain the virtues of Adam Dunn they miss the target by a mile.
    Last edited by Ron Madden; 08-06-2008 at 03:00 AM.

my email adress is now public......send it......complaints? Concerns?
    Last edited by Matt700wlw; 08-06-2008 at 03:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    my email adress is now public......send it......complaints? Concerns?
    I've got a complaint. The dentist pulled one of my teeth this morning only two days before I head to Cincy for three games against the Astros. One less tooth is going to make it harder to eat some delicious nachos at the ballpark. That's my complaint.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    I've got a complaint. The dentist pulled one of my teeth this morning only two days before I head to Cincy for three games against the Astros. One less tooth is going to make it harder to eat some delicious nachos at the ballpark. That's my complaint.
    Nachos? You better get some skyline or you may as well not show up!

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post

Plus the Skyline is easier on the old teephus.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    When I come to Cincinnati there usually isn't a coney left in the city after I leave. Seriously, I probably eat five or six coney's in a three day period and top it off with a couple three ways. I LOVE skyline chili. I'm really looking forward to that, plus some LaRosa's pizza, and maybe some Johnny Rockets wings and a burger. Oh yeah. I can't wait. Plus I get to see Cueto and Volquez both pitch plus I'm seeing Jay Bruce play for the first time!

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Good answer lol

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Skyline? I just had Skyline for lunch and I already regret it! There is no better Cincinnati Style Chili and Coney's than Chili Time in St. Bernard. Hands down, no discussion.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    When I come to Cincinnati there usually isn't a coney left in the city after I leave. Seriously, I probably eat five or six coney's in a three day period and top it off with a couple three ways. I LOVE skyline chili. I'm really looking forward to that, plus some LaRosa's pizza, and maybe some Johnny Rockets wings and a burger. Oh yeah. I can't wait. Plus I get to see Cueto and Volquez both pitch plus I'm seeing Jay Bruce play for the first time!
    Hint.

Get the ice cream (is it Graters?). Nothing like it. Oh yeah and stop by Frisch's and get a Big Boy for old times sake (or course you're so young you probably don't remember Shoney's when they served the Big boy in Charleston). Of course, no trip would be complete without a visit to the Montgomery Inn!
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    Hint.

Get the ice cream (is it Graters?). Nothing like it. Oh yeah and stop by Frisch's and get a Big Boy for old times sake (or course you're so young you probably don't remember Shoney's when they served the Big boy in Charleston). Of course, no trip would be complete without a visit to the Montgomery Inn!
    I've never tried Graeter's. I usually get some UDF ice cream but I'll be sure to try Graeter's this time as I've been wanting to for a while and never got around to it. Doesn't Shoney's still serve the Big Boy just under a different name? As for Montgomery Inn, I've never been to the restaurant but I've tried some of the barbecue at the ballpark and it was incredible.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post

I've heard tell that the media has a way of swaying popular belief. It seems to me that even when the media tries to explain the virtues of Adam Dunn they miss the target by a mile.
    This really feels like a term paper someone bought over the internet from a guy named "Ski-Hawk88"

Turn Off Ads?