Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cueto and Volquez to pitch for Dominican Republic in 2009 World Baseball Classic

Re: Cueto and Volquez to pitch for Dominican Republic in 2009 World Baseball Classic

Simply put , when you country calls you to represent them. You do it as many a player in NHL and Basketball has in the past.
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Cueto and Volquez to pitch for Dominican Republic in 2009 World Baseball Classic

It's no less meaningful than a game played "for" Cincinnati, a city Cueto and Volquez had probably never even heard of until they were signed or traded here. Meaning isn't defined only by what people in Ohio care about. Even the winter leagues are important to a lot of guys, because those games are played where they grew up.

They aren't even signed to guaranteed contracts. They're not the Reds' property, and if they want to play baseball for their country, or in winter ball, they have every right to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    I think they are absolutely going to participate. The only country that it was meaningless to was the USA. The other countries (especially Puerto Rico, the Dominican Republic, Cuba, Venezuela, Japan, and South Korea) took it EXTREMELY seriously! Frankly, it was embarrassing that the US of A took such a half-assed attitude to it. (Not the participants--they gave it their all. But the fans and media--especially the fans.) It would be nice if the US could get a few more of their best to participate. There were a few A-list players on the team, especially among the position players--Griffey, Jeter, A-Rod, Chipper, Utley, Varitek, Damon, Michael Young. But the Americans just didn't have the pitching to compete, outside of Clemens and Peavy. When Gary Majewski is on Team USA, something is wrong.
    I really think that the WBC could come close to the World Cup in 20 years or so. Baseball is so big in Latin America and Japan and other places. Well, OK, it will probably never be as big as the World Cup but it could be HUGE.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

If you come to think of it, a title like the WBC could very well be the most important event in quite a few players' careers.
    Volquez, Cueto (and Encarnación perhaps) could find themselves on a championship team.

Not everyone will make the World Series or even the Japanese championship series (especially playing for teams like the Reds).

As for showcasing one's talents, ask Dice-K if it was worth it.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by top6 View Post
    I really think that the WBC could come close to the World Cup in 20 years or so. Baseball is so big in Latin America and Japan and other places. Well, OK, it will probably never be as big as the World Cup but it could be HUGE.
    I think that's the idea. The Cup is the model after which they are trying to pattern the WBC.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

I'm hoping our international scouts will be at the events - I'd like to see us continue picking up international FA's wherever they may come from.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

I found this article in a Dominican newspaper. It all but confirms Cueto and Volquez will pitch for Team Dominican Republic in the World Baseball Classic. This article was translated using google translator so it's pretty rough.

LA ROMANA .- In 2006, a young man Edinson Vólquez was eager to integrate the Dominican team then participated in the World Baseball Classic, however a combined record of 6-13 between Minor and Major Leagues as well as his immaturity distanced to be part of the squad prepared to leave the launcher arm to defend the patriotic colors.

By 2008, and on the verge of the second version of the World Cup event, Vólquez already 24 years arrives in Dominican bringing over their shoulders the distinction of being the mound Quisqueyana with more victories in the Senior (17) and reach records that had scarce in Cincinnati.

"Since the first occasion was crazy for being part of the Dominican team on that occasion it was not possible, because it was not for nothing, but they can count on me, because it would be a pride to integrate the team of my country," said Volquez, who this year foja dismissed with the effectiveness of 17-6 with a 3.21 and 206 punches to Cincinnati.

Mound argued that much talked about issue with William Castro, instructor pitcheo of the Milwaukee Brewers, who will coach the team pitcheo Dominican in the Baseball Classic.

"Since I already have my mind on that, God willing I will be with the team and willing to do a great job for the country.

At one point, where Pedro Martínez was sacked with just five victories, who was punished with 19 home runs and their effectiveness (5.61) reaches an altitude higher than usual and where Bartolo Colón is far more than baseball, figures like Volquez emerge as the pitcheo reliable arm of the Dominican Republic.

The pitcher of 5 ¥ 11 is almost certain to integrate a lot of rotation of Dominican youth, which would settle along with Francisco Liriano, Ervin Santana, Fausto Carmona, Johnny Cueto, Daniel Cabrera and others.

Confidence Baker
    Volquez noted as one of its successes in the past year the trust placed in him by the leader Dusty Baker, who left him throw. "It was something I needed and it was a blessing to get to Cincinnati," explained the mound, who arrived at the club in a negotiation by Josh Hamilton.

"Since I arrived at the club he said he was ready to throw in Grands Leagues and I wanted to show what he was capable of making the team," said Vólquez.

Another who was thanked former pitcher Mario Soto, who gave him many tips, helped in my mechanics on how to use the change as well as other basic tricks.

http://www.listindiario.com.do/app/a....aspx?id=76525

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post

"Since the first occasion was crazy for being part of the Dominican team on that occasion it was not possible, because it was not for nothing, but they can count on me, because it would be a pride to integrate the team of my country," said Volquez, who this year foja dismissed with the effectiveness of 17-6 with a 3.21 and 206 punches to Cincinnati.
    I like that translation...made me chuckle.

I just hope Cueto and Volquez don't pitch against the US becuase I will be forced to root against my own country.

These guys need to be on strict pitch counts.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

Quote Originally Posted by Hap View Post
    Did anyone actually watch and/or care about the WBC the last time it was on?
    I watched some of it only because I was starving for some baseball. I could see this becoming a big event for the rest of the world with the USA just yawning at it. MLB will always be king in this country.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

MLB.com is currently showing a replay of Cueto's major league debut for those interested in watching. That's one of the highlights of my career as a Reds fan.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/index.jsp?c_id=cin

Mario Soto has been named the pitching coach of the Dominican team.

SANTO DOMINGO. The organizing committee of the Dominican team that will participate in the 2009 World Baseball Classic announced yesterday former pitcher Mario Soto will be their team's pitching coach. Soto will replace William Castro who was recently named the pitching coach of the Milwaukee Brewers. The general manager of the Dominican team, Stanley Javier said that both he and team manager, Felipe Rojas Alou are very content with this selection because the understand the value of Soto.

"Both Felipe and I are very happy because we know Mario well and we know the kind of person he is," said Stanley. Stanley also announced the selection of other new coaches who will join the existing managers, including Luis Pujols, Luis Silverio, Mariano Duncan, Nelsion Silverio, and Miguel García. Alfredo Griffin and Junior Noboa had already been neamed as coaches on the team.

Stanley mentioned that other names of participants still have not been announced to the public due to the rules of the Classic, but he did highlight that players like Robinson Canó, Santiago Casillas Edinson Vólquez, and Aramis Ramiraz have signed up to play.

Soto thanked the organizing committee of the Dominican team, and gave special thanks to Stanley and Alou. Dating back to their years as players, Soto said he has a great relationship with both Stanley and Alou. "I give thanks a everyone who has made it possible for me to replace Castro on the team," said soto. "Everyone is involved the Classic and for that reason the Cincinnati Reds organization didn't have any problem with granting me permission to participate."

http://www.diariolibre.com/noticias_det.php?id=177754

Anything that gets Volquez under Soto's tutelage I'm all for.

Well if Majewski and Ayala were the only pitchers with arm issues after the WBC that would put the injury rate at about 2% (assuming 8 teams of 12 man staffs). I don't know if that is correct but that would seem to be low.

Turn Off Ads?