Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Barry Larkin and the end of the season.

On the brink of disaster

Barry Larkin and the end of the season.

Ok, as much as Dusty Baker doesn't want to admit it, we aren't going to come back. We have almost 2 months remaining in the season. While I do think we should see some younger players, there is one piece of business I would like to see BCast and the Reds take care of and that is getting Barry Larkin back in the fold. I know it probably wouldn't happen this year with him under contract with another MLB franchise, but I've got a crazy idea that would really bring closure to the bad situation.

Barry wasn't really given a proper farewell from the team, city, or fans. We didn't know what would happen, even if he would wear another uniform as a player. We now long to see him back in Cincinnati though, so let's do it in style. I would personally sign him to a one day player contract, let him start the game on the field and leading off. It would be awful hard to not put him in at SS, but I know people would accept the idea better by hiding him in the OF. If he records any put outs in the field, great. Next, let him bat in the bottom of the 1st in front of his home crowd and give him the ovation he should have gotten under the right circumstances. If he strikes out, at least he ends his career without controversy. I know I'm rambling, but since it is a lost season, why not give a great player his proper retirement. Let him take his last at bat without wondering if he will play again. Let Cincinnati show how much they appreciate what he has done.
    Last edited by acredsfan; 08-05-2008 at 04:42 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Barry Larkin and the end of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by acredsfan View Post
    Ok, as much as Dusty Baker doesn't want to admit it, we aren't going to come back. We have almost 2 months remaining in the season. While I do think we should see some younger players, there is one piece of business I would like to see BCast and the Reds take care of and that is getting Barry Larkin back in the fold. I know it probably wouldn't happen this year with him under contract with another MLB franchise, but I've got a crazy idea that would really bring closure to the bad situation.

Barry wasn't really given a proper farewell from the team, city, or fans. We didn't know what would happen, even if he would wear another uniform as a player. We now long to see him back in Cincinnati though, so let's do it in style. I would personally sign him to a one day player contract, let him start the game on the field and leading off. It would be awful hard to not put him in at SS, but I know people would accept the idea better by hiding him in the OF. If he records any put outs in the field, great. Next, let him bat in the bottom of the 1st in front of his home crowd and give him the ovation he should have gotten under the right circumstances. If he strikes out, at least he ends his career without controversy. I know I'm rambling, but since it is a lost season, why not give a great player his proper retirement. Let him take his last at bat without wondering if he will play again. Let Cincinnati show how much they appreciate what he has done.

And then he'd have to wait till 2013 for election to the HOF.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by acredsfan View Post

Interesting idea.

I guess if we had the circus come to town for the arrival of Homer Bailey last year, we could definitely have the circus return to town for a Barry Larkin farewell.

Hopefully gates can open 6 hours before the game so Barry can give another speech. I'm sure there are many people he did not thank the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Exactly. As much as I miss watching him play, bringing him back as a player isn't something I would do. However, I would LOVE to see him back in the organization next year as a coach, broadcaster, front office type, or whatever, just as long as he's back where he belongs.

All dyslexics must untie!

Can the Reds sign Barry's brother for a day and start him at first base?

(been there, done that)

I suspect Barry would politely decline a curtain call on this year's fan appreciation day.
    (maybe BL should show up in the Red's dugout for the last couple of innings anyway, to "make up for the early exit" back in McKeon's day?...I keed)

Now that John Allen is out of the front office I wouldn't be surprised to see Larkin back on the payroll on Opening day, '09.

It's time to put peanut butter (BL) and jelly (the Reds) back "together againnn"...

(could a series of new JTM commercials be in the making?)
    Never overlook the obvious

Quote Originally Posted by top6 View Post
    Hopefully gates can open 6 hours before the game so Barry can give another speech. I'm sure there are many people he did not thank the first time.
    Oh my!
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

I love tradition and history as much as the next guy, but this call to 'pay respect' to players is a little much for me sometime. Lost season or not its a bit disrespectful to the game to give a one day contract to someone just so the fans can give him an ovation.

Trot him out for a first pitch, do a bobble head, whatever, but this is over the top. The Reds owe Barry Larkin NOTHING.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

It all seems a bit Bill Veeck-ish to me...

For a Level Playing Field

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    I love tradition and history as much as the next guy, but this call to 'pay respect' to players is a little much for me sometime. Lost season or not its a bit disrespectful to the game to give a one day contract to someone just so the fans can give him an ovation.

Trot him out for a first pitch, do a bobble head, whatever, but this is over the top. The Reds owe Barry Larkin NOTHING.
    Amen. $78,467,500 in salary for his career. A World Series ring. The REDS have done their share for Barry. And Barry did a lot for the REDS. Neither one owes the other anything.

I was at Barry's last game. It certainly felt like a farewell; Barry removed himself from the lineup in the middle of the game (after hitting into a double play in his last at-bat); went to his position at shortstop and then had a replacement (Lopez?) come out to replace him.
    I know he later (as in a few minutes later, over the public address system) expressed a desire to play one more season, but everyone in the ballpark that day knew that we were witnessing what almost certainly was his last day as a Red.
    Also was at Bench's last game in 1983, several days after attending Johnny Bench Night, when he hit that final homer. In his last at-bat, as a pinch-hitter in a meaningless game against Frank Robinson's Giants, he hit a single to left field with the bases loaded, then left for a pinch-runner.
    The career-long Red who got no send-off whatsoever: Dave Concepcion in the late 1980s. He tried out for the Angels the following spring (1989?), but didn't make the final cut and retired.

Quote Originally Posted by Mainspark View Post
    I was at Barry's last game. It certainly felt like a farewell; Barry removed himself from the lineup in the middle of the game (after hitting into a double play in his last at-bat); went to his position at shortstop and then had a replacement (Lopez?) come out to replace him.
    Anderson Machado, who quickly ranged into the first base side of second to field a ground ball and throw the runner out. I was there, too, and I told my wife as much as I liked Larkin, it's been a long time since he could make a play like that.
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post

Barry has said publicly that he doesn't care if he is in the Hall of Fame or not.
    Of course, at the time, his comment was that since Rose wasn't in it, he didn't care. Now that Rose has been exposed, maybe Barry feels differently.

As a side note, looking bad, I am mad at Pete for letting people like Barry and Mike Schmidt stick their necks out and defend Pete's character.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Barry has said publicly that he doesn't care if he is in the Hall of Fame or not.
    Of course, at the time, his comment was that since Rose wasn't in it, he didn't care. Now that Rose has been exposed, maybe Barry feels differently.

As a side note, looking bad, I am mad at Pete for letting people like Barry and Mike Schmidt stick their necks out and defend Pete's character.

Riiight. That reminds me of the old saying, "You may be against beauty contests but if you're in one you want them to judge you pretty."

We seem to forget that Barry Larkin is an employee of the Washington Nationals through the end of the season. I think they might object to him playing shortstop for another organization - even for one game.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    Amen. $78,467,500 in salary for his career. A World Series ring. The REDS have done their share for Barry. And Barry did a lot for the REDS. Neither one owes the other anything.
    I was thinking something along those lines. Larkin got a nice farewell from Cincinnati when he was given about $28 million to play between 2001-2004 with grand totals of 19 HR, 126 RBI, and 195 Runs. $27 million of that got the Reds 11 HR, 82 RBIs, 140 Runs between 2001-2003.

Larkin was truly great. A leader in the clubhouse, a consistent hitter, and an excellent fielder. I just think his last contracts were more about emotion than making the team better.

Turn Off Ads?