Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Things that irritate you while driving

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Things that irritate you while driving

Here's the catch. What are the things, other than other motorists, that irritate you, those things that would bug you even if you're the only vehicle on the road? This isn't about other drivers, but just about irritations you encounter.

1. Traffic lights that are timed intentionally to make sure you will have to stop at every one. You're sitting at a red light and it turns green. You start out and the next one turns red on you. You sit there and set out when it turns green, only to have the next one turn red. There is a street in Columbia, SC that is like that. It's at least 10-12 lights, every other block, and you can't make two of them in a row the way they have them staggered.

2. Speed bumps from hell. The ones that darn near rip the bottom of your vehicle out going over them.

3. Some of those wide open four lane roads in the northeast with a 45 or 55 speed limit. There are a few of those in Connecticut.

4. No Commercial Vehicles Allowed. @#%$!!!

5. Driving through work zones where there is a concrete barrier on each side.

6. Concrete medians that can't be crossed. You take an exit and pull into a gas station on the right side of the road. When you pull out, you can't just turn left to get back to the interstate on ramp. You have to turn right, go down the street half a mile, and turn around.

7. Intersections without a left turn arrow.

8. Restaurant or bank drive thrus with a low clearance.

9. Metered on ramps. I know why they do it, but it's still annoying when everyone has to come to a complete stop and wait for a green light to continue on the ramp to the highway.

10. Split speed limits. It's dangerous to have one kind of vehicle going 10-15 mph slower than the other vehicles.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

2. Turn Off Ads?
    High five!

Re: Things that irritate you while driving

Left turns. I'll intentionally make 3 rights to avoid a bad left turn.

Inconsistent exit / entrance ramp sides. Is it on the right (correct) or left (incorrect).

Entrance ramps that coincide with a changeover to another freeway so it's a big PITA to get over while avoiding someone else who's getting on.

Red lights on left turns during a green light for straight ahead. I'm sitting in the left turn lane with a red light, traffic to my right is proceeding with its green and the oncoming lanes have a green light too. There is no oncoming traffic and plenty of time/room for me to make a discretionary left turn. Can't turn though.

Overly controlled traffic, particularly in California and Florida. Can't even sneeze without a light telling you its OK.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Traffic lights without sensors, or if they do have sensors, they either don't work or are awful. This is mostly a late-night situation where it really drives me crazy, and quite a few exit ramp traffic lights are like this around here. There are a few lights that will just stay red for an ungodly amount of time even when you're already sitting there waiting to turn left. It doesn't matter if it's 2am and there's not a trace of traffic on the cross street, the light will refuse to change for you to turn.

Short highway entrance ramps. Not typically a problem around here or in Ohio from what I've seen, but I've seen this in other states (PA maybe?). You get on the entrance ramp and it immediately ends, forcing you to hammer the accelerator to merge in with traffic.

25mph speed limits on non-subdivision side streets.

Busy or semi-busy intersections without a left turn lane.

Highway interchanges (turning on to a highway entrance ramp) where both directions require being in the same exact lane. All that results is heavy traffic backup.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

People on cell phones. /end thread
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

People who don't use their turn signal.

People that follow too closely.

Quote Originally Posted by HotCorner View Post
    People who don't use their turn signal.

People that follow too closely.

Word.

I dislike left hand exits.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Senor Votto

Old people driving.

Out of state drivers (Almost got into a fight the other day with one)

People who follow too close

Things that irritate you while driving
    Other drivers

When I'm pulling out of a place of business and they have median that makes me turn right then have to go do a U-turn if I want to go left.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Slow drivers.

Lost drivers. Nothing drives me nuts more than the person who slows down at every street to see if its the one they are looking for. They finally find it after 8 streets.

People who merge onto the highway by riding the white line (on the right) all the way into the lane rather than merging in with traffic.

That I currently have no air conditioning in my car.

That I can't launch water balloons at idiot drivers.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Other drivers
    And bike riders.

And pedestrians.

And animals.

That pretty much sums it up.

everything
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Am I going to get yelled at again for saying female Asian drivers?

B/c they still irritate me...

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander View Post
    3. Some of those wide open four lane roads in the northeast with a 45 or 55 speed limit. There are a few of those in Connecticut.
    There's a couple stretches of I-84 like that between the NY line and Hartford, but no one goes that slow. You'd swear the speed limit between the NY line and Hartford is 80, b/c that's usually how fast I'm going and it seems like 1/2 the cars are passing me... on the right.

Turn Off Ads?