Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Things that irritate you while driving

Re: Things that irritate you while driving

Bloomington has about a zillion left hand turn signals. If you pull up to the stop light after the cross traffic light has gone to yellow, you won't get the turn signal. Drives me nuts.

"Left lane ends"- there are bunch of these here too. For example, there are two lanes and I know one is going to end. I do the right thing and get over towards the inside, because THAT'S THE WAY IT'S SUPPOSED TO WORK. Then, 1000 feet later, the left lane ends and I have to merge right. Insanity.

"Dip" and "Bump" signs. Can't they just fix the road, instead?
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

"Left lane ends"- there are bunch of these here too. For example, there are two lanes and I know one is going to end. I do the right thing and get over towards the inside, because THAT'S THE WAY IT'S SUPPOSED TO WORK. Then, 1000 feet later, the left lane ends and I have to merge right. Insanity.
    There's a spot as you head in to Georgetown, Ohio that has a "Left lane Ends" sign, when in fact it is the right lane that ends.

It's been that way for twenty years at least, and as of last September, it still is.

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    There's a spot as you head in to Georgetown, Ohio that has a "Left lane Ends" sign, when in fact it is the right lane that ends.

It's been that way for twenty years at least, and as of last September, it still is.
    I grew up there. It's been that way as long as I can remember.

Left hand exits tick me off to no end. Coming north on 75 out of Cincinnati is terrible with those, Harrison, Hopple, and Galbraith. What I don't like is that you have people who are going to need one of those exits driving slow in the left lane for 6-8 miles before they hit the exit. Folks get in the left lane coming out of downtown so they can get the Galbraith exit, which is exit 10 for crying out loud. Can't you wait until around the 7 mile marker before you get over there, instead of impeding the fast lane? I still blame the people who decided to put an exit on the left more than the drivers who impede the fast lane for miles because of the left hand exit ahead.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander View Post
    I grew up there. It's been that way as long as I can remember.

Left hand exits tick me off to no end. Coming north on 75 out of Cincinnati is terrible with those, Harrison, Hopple, and Galbraith. What I don't like is that you have people who are going to need one of those exits driving slow in the left lane for 6-8 miles before they hit the exit. Folks get in the left lane coming out of downtown so they can get the Galbraith exit, which is exit 10 for crying out loud. Can't you wait until around the 7 mile marker before you get over there, instead of impeding the fast lane? I still blame the people who decided to put an exit on the left more than the drivers who impede the fast lane for miles because of the left hand exit ahead.
    I deal with the slow drivers in the left lane prior to Galbraith on a daily basis. Between Paddock and Ronald Reagan on the right and Galbraith on the left, it's a constant bottleneck with slow drivers clogging the lanes. It usually comes as no surprise that things open up immediately following the Galbraith exit too ... at least until you hit Glendale-Milford, and that's when all the crap going on with 275 starts blowing things up on 75 north.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

There is a major intersection with two left turn lanes near where I live. In busy traffic, the two left turn lanes are usually full, and everyone can't make it through each cycle.

But many more could if the idiots in the front of the line were ready to go when the light turns. Invariably, you see big gaps between cars as they pull out when the light turns. People couldn't care less about the people behind them, as long as they make the light. And their screwing around causes the end of the line to have to wait another cycle, when there would have been plenty of time had everyone been ready.

In general, it's often hard to believe how high a percentage of drivers out there either don't care about other drivers or are completely oblivious to what's going on around them.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    ...But many more could if the idiots in the front of the line were ready to go when the light turns. Invariably, you see big gaps between cars as they pull out when the light turns. People couldn't care less about the people behind them, as long as they make the light. And their screwing around causes the end of the line to have to wait another cycle, when there would have been plenty of time had everyone been ready.

In general, it's often hard to believe how high a percentage of drivers out there either don't care about other drivers or are completely oblivious to what's going on around them.
    Yes, that one drives me crazy, too. If everyone would keep the line packed in reasonably tight, more people would get through. Some will wait until the car ahead has almost completed the turn before entering the intersection.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfboy View Post
    everything

Yep. Every other driver on the friggin road annoys me.
    My solution: make sure I leave a few minutes early and listen to a book on CD rather than the radio. Just try to relax.

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post

Yep. Every other driver on the friggin road annoys me.
    My solution: make sure I leave a few minutes early and listen to a book on CD rather than the radio. Just try to relax.
    I suppose I'm just not a big fan of driving. I try to ride my bike or walk when I can, but it's not as practical for me as it used to be. I used to live much closer to downtown and work, etc... That's the trade off if you want more of a yard than an herb garden on a fire escape.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

I have no problem with slow drivers.

What I do have a problem with are those drivers who refuse to pass them, and you then have a long line of cars stacked up behind that driver and it's then too dangerous for you to attempt to pass because you're six cars back.

So for the next 10 miles you're all following this person going 35 mph!
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Overzealous Highway Patrolman.

People who are busy organizing their car during a red light and "forget" to go at a green light.

3 or 4 lanes of traffic that come to a STOP because the highway has a bend in it. (See 275 between Wards corner and Milford)

Accidents... PAY ATTENTION!!
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander View Post

1. Traffic lights that are timed intentionally to make sure you will have to stop at every one. You're sitting at a red light and it turns green. You start out and the next one turns red on you. You sit there and set out when it turns green, only to have the next one turn red. There is a street in Columbia, SC that is like that. It's at least 10-12 lights, every other block, and you can't make two of them in a row the way they have them staggered.
    I really wish they would adopt a feature of traffic lights I was in Germany and Austria called the "Green Wave." They time the lights so that, if you drive a certain speed, you are guaranteed to hit every green light. It keeps traffic in many areas moving smoothly and consistently because everyone knows they'll hit the green lights if they stay at 35 mph but they'll get stuck by a red if they go 40 mph.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Roundabouts. It seems they are the newest thing out west. If everyone knew what to do, it would be fine, but you had better be looking from all sides because someone is gonna fly thru the yield or cross over into your lane to hit their exit. Anyone else had the pleasure of driving in one of these?

Quote Originally Posted by Deepred05 View Post
    Roundabouts. It seems they are the newest thing out west. If everyone knew what to do, it would be fine, but you had better be looking from all sides because someone is gonna fly thru the yield or cross over into your lane to hit their exit. Anyone else had the pleasure of driving in one of these?
    Hey kids! Big Ben! Parliament!
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Cars that suddenly stop in front of me on the freeway.... causing me to spill the coffee I'm holding in one hand on the newspaper I'm holding in my other hand.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Quote Originally Posted by VR View Post
    Cars that suddenly stop in front of me on the freeway.... causing me to spill the coffee I'm holding in one hand on the newspaper I'm holding in my other hand.

Turn Off Ads?