Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Things that irritate you while driving

Re: Things that irritate you while driving

People who drive and constantly have to have that cellphone glued to their ears.

I followed a woman into work last month who is always talking on that phone. I've unfortunately been behind her on numerous occasions. And she is all over the place. As you enter the parking lot they have those reflector markers along the road as you turn in. She took out a whole row of them as she was turning and never blinked an eye or knew she did it. I just laughed.

"Hey idiot! You can make a right turn on red in this state!"

Leaving the turn signal on. I tell my kids they are making a left turn around the world.

Driving through (or across) parking lots and not using the lanes. It's like being in a demolition derby.

I work 3rd shift. So on occasion I'll stop at WalMart on the way home when there is no one there and the parking lot is pretty barren. I'll pull in and park my car, and when I come out some idiot has not only parked his car right next to mine, but has parked so close that I can't even get my car door open. The whole friggin' parking lot is empty and they had to park right next to me?
    Last edited by GAC; 08-09-2008 at 08:26 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by VR View Post
    Cars that suddenly stop in front of me on the freeway.... causing me to spill the coffee I'm holding in one hand on the newspaper I'm holding in my other hand.

No kidding. It's hard enough to drive, eat, talk on the phone and surf the net while you're driving without some inconsiderate punk in front of you not paying attention.

We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Traffic circles.

People on cell phones.

People who don't signal.

People who don't let you in when you're trying to change lanes and you're signalling properly, etc.

CITIES!
    "Whatever you choose, however many roads you travel, I hope that you choose not to be a lady. I hope you will find some way to break the rules and make a little trouble out there. And I also hope that you will choose to make some of that trouble on behalf of women." - Nora Ephron

Robots
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by TeamCasey View Post
    People who don't let you in when you're trying to change lanes and you're signalling properly, etc.
    People who think they are entitled to change lanes just because they signal. Especially if they are trying to wedge into the safety zone I'm leaving between me and the car in front of me. And, even more so if there's not a car behind me for a mile....

Rem

Quote Originally Posted by remdog View Post
    People who think they are entitled to change lanes just because they signal. Especially if they are trying to wedge into the safety zone I'm leaving between me and the car in front of me. And, even more so if there's not a car behind me for a mile....

Rem
    I don't try to squeeze in. Entitled. .... jeez, Rem! The frustration usually happens when your exit ramp is just after an on-ramp. You're trying to merge right to exit while the other cars are trying to merge left to enter.
    "Whatever you choose, however many roads you travel, I hope that you choose not to be a lady. I hope you will find some way to break the rules and make a little trouble out there. And I also hope that you will choose to make some of that trouble on behalf of women." - Nora Ephron

Women

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Well, to a certain degree I do feel that a signal does entitle me to a lane change. I will be patient for a while, but if after a good amount of time I've had my signal on and nobody is acknowledging that I even exist, then I might be tempted to try to force my way over. If I need in that lane, it's usually for a good reason and I'm sick and tired of people who will do anything possible to keep me from coming over because my vehicle is taller and they don't want to be behind me.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

Quote Originally Posted by TeamCasey View Post
    I don't try to squeeze in. Entitled. .... jeez, Rem! The frustration usually happens when your exit ramp is just after an on-ramp. You're trying to merge right to exit while the other cars are trying to merge left to enter.
    I can see that if the entrance/exit ramp are a continuous strip. But, if the entrance ramp connects to the freeway and merges into the right lane and (usually after an overpass) there becomes a seperate off-ramp then the driver should have planned ahead. That's their responsibility and they shouldn't put everyone/anyone else in danger because they goofed. Go to the next ramp and get off instead of jepordizing everyone else for your mistake.

Rem

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander View Post
    Well, to a certain degree I do feel that a signal does entitle me to a lane change. I will be patient for a while, but if after a good amount of time I've had my signal on and nobody is acknowledging that I even exist, then I might be tempted to try to force my way over. If I need in that lane, it's usually for a good reason and I'm sick and tired of people who will do anything possible to keep me from coming over because my vehicle is taller and they don't want to be behind me.
    A signal only entitles you to change lanes if it is safe. If you are driving professionally then I would expect you to know where you are going and to do so in a safe manner. In California trucks can only travel in the right two lanes (with minor exceptions) on the freeway so it's not too tough to figure out where you should be if you are going to 'need' a lane. I expect you to plan ahead and then you won't 'need' that lane, you'll be in it.

Rem

A signal only entitles you to change lanes if it is safe. If you are driving professionally then I would expect you to know where you are going and to do so in a safe manner. In California trucks can only travel in the right two lanes (with minor exceptions) on the freeway so it's not too tough to figure out where you should be if you are going to 'need' a lane. I expect you to plan ahead and then you won't 'need' that lane, you'll be in it.

Rem
    I do plan ahead, but sometimes when you figure out that you need to make a change, and you're trying to do the responsible thing and get into that lane early, and people keep speeding up to keep you from coming over because they don't want to be behind something taller, it gets kind of ridiculous. When I see a signal, I back off and give that person room to come over. I expect the same from others.

As to lane restrictions...don't get me started. Those and split speed limits should be abolished.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander View Post
    As to lane restrictions...don't get me started. Those and split speed limits should be abolished.
    Gee, I think they should be universal and more rigorously enforced. Imagine that.

Rem

Single Occupied Priuses in the car pool lane because they got a "sticker" for having the money to spend on a Hybrid vehicle a few years ago and they go below the speed of the cars in the other 4 regular lanes holding all the other cars behind them back.

On the Red arrow left turn when the other lanes have the green going straight, I have been making the turn if it looks safe. (don't tell anyone)

Gee, I think they should be universal and more rigorously enforced. Imagine that.

Rem
    I'm all for strict enforcement of speed limits, as long as all vehicles are held to the same limit.

There's a spot in Houston where the freeway splits into 3 ... and the first signs announcing the split are only about a quarter mile away. WAY too little notice of such a major split. If you're in the wrong lane, you're not going to be able to make a change ... and, it may not be easy to correct if you miss the split.

Seems to me that any freeway "splits" should be "announced" by signs at LEAST a mile in advance, unless it's a simple "exit" or "offramp" situation.

Turn Off Ads?