Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Question on type B free agents

Question on type B free agents

From MLB trade rumors today:

" Teams are beginning to value free agent compensation draft picks more than ever. As a result, we're seeing fewer salary dump trades. Rosenthal explains that Type B free agents net supplemental picks for teams even if they do not offer arbitration. That fact eluded me so I'm glad he brought it up. "

1. Is this true?

2. I am sure Dunn is a type A. Are Weathers & Affeldt likely to be type B?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Question on type B free agents

Here is Rosenthal's column where this is discussed.

Even players who project as possible Type B free agents are considered more valuable than in the past, thanks to a change in the most recent labor agreement.

A team can now gain a sandwich pick between the first and second rounds for such a player without even offering him arbitration.

Case in point: Braves left-handed reliever Will Ohman. Though Ohman had trade value, the Braves did not receive an offer that amounted to the equivalent of a pick between the 31st and 45th selections overall.

Type A free agents must be offered arbitration to ensure draft-pick compensation.

High five!

I've read a few articles recently about someone (the name is at the tip of my tongue) "cracking" the type "A" and "B" criteria. It would be interesting to know where our potential FA rate on the list.

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    I've read a few articles recently about someone (the name is at the tip of my tongue) "cracking" the type "A" and "B" criteria. It would be interesting to know where our potential FA rate on the list.
    Run down the list of potential FA, and I can take a crack at it. It's usually not too difficult to figure out.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792 View Post
    Run down the list of potential FA, and I can take a crack at it. It's usually not too difficult to figure out.
    OK:

Jeremy Affeldt
    Paul Bako
    Jim Brower
    Adam Dunn
    Josh Fogg
    Jerry Hairston Jr.
    Kent Mercker
    Corey Patterson
    David Ross
    Javier Valentin
    David Weathers

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    OK:

Jeremy Affeldt
    Paul Bako
    Jim Brower
    Adam Dunn
    Josh Fogg
    Jerry Hairston Jr.
    Kent Mercker
    Corey Patterson
    David Ross
    Javier Valentin
    David Weathers
    Guaranteed Type A

Dunn - no surprise

Tossup between Type A and Type B

David Weathers - Weathers was the lowest ranked Type A last year, and he'll be right on the edge between Type A and Type B this year.

Likely Type B, but small shot at Type A

Jeremy Affeldt - did not make the Type B cut last year, however, his awful 2006 season will fall off and be replaced by a decent 2008 season. I think he's on pace for a solid Type B ranking that has a slight chance of hitting Type A.

Most Likely Worthless

David Ross - did not reach Type B last season, and his decent 2006 season is being replaced by a lesser 2008 season.
    Paul Bako - did not reach Type B last season, but his horrific 2006 season is being replaced by a not-quite-so-horrific, but still pretty horrific 2008 season.

Guaranteed Worthless

Javier Valentin - he stinks
    Jim Brower - he has 3.1 innings over both seasons
    Corey Patterson - he stinks this year
    Josh Fogg - he stinks
    Kent Mercker - he has 13.2 innings over both seasons
    Jerry Hairston Jr. - his 2007 season stunk, and he's missed too much playing time in 2008 to make up for it.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

Paul Bako - did not reach Type B last season, but his horrific 2006 season is being replaced by a not-quite-so-horrific, but still pretty horrific 2008 season.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Guaranteed Type A

Dunn - no surprise

Tossup between Type A and Type B

David Weathers - Weathers was the lowest ranked Type A last year, and he'll be right on the edge between Type A and Type B this year.

Likely Type B, but small shot at Type A

Jeremy Affeldt - did not make the Type B cut last year, however, his awful 2006 season will fall off and be replaced by a decent 2008 season. I think he's on pace for a solid Type B ranking that has a slight chance of hitting Type A.

Most Likely Worthless

David Ross - did not reach Type B last season, and his decent 2006 season is being replaced by a lesser 2008 season.

Guaranteed Worthless

Javier Valentin - he stinks
    Jim Brower - he has 3.1 innings over both seasons
    Corey Patterson - he stinks this year
    Josh Fogg - he stinks
    Kent Mercker - he has 13.2 innings over both seasons
    Jerry Hairston Jr. - his 2007 season stunk, and he's missed too much playing time in 2008 to make up for it.
    if weathers and affeldt are potential type B free agents then that could be the reason walt didn't trade them ( or it could be castellini wanting to win as many games as possible for ticket sales ). getting a 2nd round draft pick for weathers and not having to risk him accepting arbitration would be a good thing.

Turn Off Ads?