Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bats closing in on playoff spot

Re: Bats closing in on playoff spot

Quote Originally Posted by princeton View Post
    there might not be a prospect in the lot
    They're all currently prospects (of various grades), but they might not all become quality Major Leaguers.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    They're all currently prospects.
    guys like that are often called "suspects" not "prospects".

I've always like that term. Suspect.

Q. "so who killed the Reds' great farm system?"

A."we don't know yet. There are about 1000 suspects."
    Last edited by princeton; 08-07-2008 at 10:07 AM.

The Bats are 71-48, just a shade below .600 winning percentage. The team has mainly consisted of younger players, not a lot of journeymen. Does this mean anything for the future Reds?

I'm probably overly optimistic, but I think so.

The minor league stars have mostly advanced already. Bruce, Cueto, Votto. I put Bailey in a different category, he was touted as a star, but still needs seasoning. Volquez, Burton, Bray from other organizations have graduated to the Reds.

Louisville has a bunch of guys, perhaps not stars, who seem ready to graduate to the big leagues. I expect graduation day to come at the end of this season.

Dickerson. Roenicke. Hanigan. Herrera. Pelland. Janish. These guys seem ready to graduate. The Reds may not keep them all, some may wash out or leave the organization, but for the most part they seem to have completed their AAA education.

This is not an exhaustive list. Rosales may be ready, although his success came late this year. Thompson probably needs more seasoning but the Reds had him up earlier. Maloney was on line for his diploma but had this injury. Ramon Ramirez only needs a few more credits. Don't know about the infielder acquired from the Chisox.

Except for the Griffey deal, Walt has been very quiet. Probably the calm before the storm. But I don't think it's an accident Louisville has won. There's a fair amount of talent there -- even if not stars -- and I hope some are with the big club pretty soon.
    Last edited by Kc61; 08-07-2008 at 02:02 PM.

Another win! That's 8 in a row. Wow, I can't remember such a hot Bats team.

Enjoy it Louisville.

Last time I was in Louisville was in the Military in the fall of 1980. Love the accents on the women there.

Quote Originally Posted by princeton View Post
    guys like that are often called "suspects" not "prospects".

I've always like that term. Suspect.

Q. "so who killed the Reds' great farm system?"

A."we don't know yet. There are about 1000 suspects."
    That's true. The thing about prospects to remember is - they're all, except for a rarified handful, actually suspects. It's a numbers game to a large extent - the more suspects in the system, the better the chances that 1 or 2 break through each year.

pros·pect (prspkt)
    n.
    1. Something expected; a possibility.
    2. prospects
    a. Chances.
    b. Financial expectations, especially of success.
    a. A potential customer, client, or purchaser.
    b. A candidate deemed likely to succeed.
    4. The direction in which an object, such as a building, faces; an outlook.
    5. Something presented to the eye; a scene: a pleasant prospect.
    6. The act of surveying or examining.
    a. The location or probable location of a mineral deposit.
    b. An actual or probable mineral deposit.
    c. The mineral yield obtained by working an ore.

Would Walt upset The Apple cart and bring up those guys before their season is over and then Louisville not win?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Enjoy it Louisville.

Last time I was in Louisville was in the Military in the fall of 1980. Love the accents on the women there.
    This is actually a pretty big baseball hotbed. I think if there was a major league team here, it could do just as well as the Reds draw in Cincinnati. Back in the 80's when the Redsbirds first came here, the minor league team, attendance broke a million and were averaging over 20K a game. Actually drew more than a few teams like the Indians for a couple years around there.

Last summer the Louisville Cardinals made the college baseball world series, and we hosted the super regionals and they had a ton of temporary bleachers, big sell out, as we beat the crap out of Oklahoma St that series and went to the College World series.

The city is most known to be a college basketball city, but there's a ton of baseball support.

Louisville's championship hopes have taken a hit in the last few days with Adam Rosales, Ryan Hanigan, and now Chris Dickerson all getting called up to the Reds. Rosales could be back though I'd like to see him in Cincy the remainder of the season. I wouldn't be surprised to see some players like Danny Dorn and Sean Henry get promoted to Louisville to help them win a title.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Louisville's championship hopes have taken a hit in the last few days with Adam Rosales, Ryan Hanigan, and now Chris Dickerson all getting called up to the Reds. Rosales could be back though I'd like to see him in Cincy the remainder of the season. I wouldn't be surprised to see some players like Danny Dorn and Sean Henry get promoted to Louisville to help them win a title.
    They may well be getting some outside help soon.

Quote Originally Posted by LouisvilleCARDS View Post
    This is actually a pretty big baseball hotbed. I think if there was a major league team here, it could do just as well as the Reds draw in Cincinnati. Back in the 80's when the Redsbirds first came here, the minor league team, attendance broke a million and were averaging over 20K a game. Actually drew more than a few teams like the Indians for a couple years around there.

Last summer the Louisville Cardinals made the college baseball world series, and we hosted the super regionals and they had a ton of temporary bleachers, big sell out, as we beat the crap out of Oklahoma St that series and went to the College World series.

The city is most known to be a college basketball city, but there's a ton of baseball support.
    20,000 fans is not minor league....that's major league. So, is it a dry county?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    20,000 fans is not minor league....that's major league. So, is it a dry county?
    Louisville's metro area is a little more than half of Cincinnati's, and I believe Cincinnati has many more residents per square mile. No one doubts that Louisville likes baseball (Louisville Slugger says 'hi'), but unless it continues to grow the way it has lately, they won't be getting a Major League baseball team.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Louisville's metro area is a little more than half of Cincinnati's, and I believe Cincinnati has many more residents per square mile. No one doubts that Louisville likes baseball (Louisville Slugger says 'hi'), but unless it continues to grow the way it has lately, they won't be getting a Major League baseball team.

They'll never get a major league baseball team. They've got to be considered Cincinnati's "area". If I were them, I wouldn't want a Major League team. There are a lot of great things about the Minor League teams that you can't get as a Major League team....most distinctly is player connections with the fans.

Personally, I love minor league baseball. Unless I'm watching the Reds are visiting a special stadium, I'd rather watch, say, the Bats, Indians, Dragons, Clippers, Mud Hens, etc.

Turn Off Ads?