Thread: Brett Favre Traded To Jets

Brett Favre Traded To Jets

Where'd that come from??

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Favre to the Jets?

Hilarious, have fun in that bowl of talent mr.I can't retire
    Go Gators!

Fearless prediction: Favre retires again within the week.
    What if this wasn't a rhetorical question?

All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Re: Brett Favre Traded To Jets

Thank the lord, hopefully all of the ESPN coverage ends.
    Follow me on twitter @EricLilly7

Quote Originally Posted by NorrisHopper30 View Post
    Thank the lord, hopefully all of the ESPN coverage ends.
    I've had ESPN News on the TV in the background all morning and they have not mentioned this story at all. Not a word has been said about it.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

You know, not sure why it's suddenly cool to rip Brett Favre. People change their mind- big deal. If he wants to play, let him, and leave him be.

My attitude is this: if the Packers think they can win with Aaron Rodgers, be my guest.

If Rodgers tanks this year- which is a likely happening- that team is going to kick itself pretty hard.

I think Favre is hurt by two things in the public perception.
    1. The will he won't he drama of the past two years
    2. The publics overall fatigue of athletes who "retire" than come back in and play. It's been an ever increasing trend.

Also he handled it horribly from a PR standpoint. Green Bay called his bluff at every turn.
    I believe his 2005 and 2006 are more representative of what we'll see than his 2007.

The real problem is by coming back he sets a ridiculously high bar for himself. Joe Montana is the last QB to win a playoff game for the Chiefs, and everyone acts as though he was like Willie Mays with the Mets. If the Jets fail to make the playoffs(a 50/50 proposition at least) everyone will remember how old Favre looked in guiding an also ran team.
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

The 2005, 2006 seasons could have been due to his supporting cast.

He's still better than Aaron Rodgers.

Wait, Brett Favre is now playing for the Jets? I thought he was retiring? Man, they need to have more press on this because this is news to me.
    That hit was plenty fair. Atleast by a quarter of an inch.
    -Steve Stone

C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    You know, not sure why it's suddenly cool to rip Brett Favre. People change their mind- big deal. If he wants to play, let him, and leave him be.

My attitude is this: if the Packers think they can win with Aaron Rodgers, be my guest.

If Rodgers tanks this year- which is a likely happening- that team is going to kick itself pretty hard.
    I agree with this to an extent. I don't see Rodgers being overly successful, especially considering the Jeff Tedford effect(Akili Smith, Joey Harrington, Kyle Boller)

My problem with the whole situation is Favre has talked about retiring before. I feel its more of a love for the spotlight than it is a love for the game. Same way I feel about Roger Clemens.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    I agree with this to an extent. I don't see Rodgers being overly successful, especially considering the Jeff Tedford effect(Akili Smith, Joey Harrington, Kyle Boller)

My problem with the whole situation is Favre has talked about retiring before. I feel its more of a love for the spotlight than it is a love for the game. Same way I feel about Roger Clemens.
    My problem is that the whole retire/unretire business messes with the team you're dealing with. Forget about whether Aaron Rodgers is better than Favre. Favre told the Packers he was retiring. The Packers made changes accordingly, including changes that probably affect the salary cap. Then Favre wants to come back. Well guess what? Now the Packers have to make roster changes again to account for Favre's cap hit again. Bringing Favre back doesn't just mean that Aaron Rodgers doesn't get a shot. It also means you're probably going to have to make some cap cuts to make room for him again. Those cap cuts could hurt your depth at more positions than just QB.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Oxilon View Post
    Wait, Brett Favre is now playing for the Jets? I thought he was retiring? Man, they need to have more press on this because this is news to me.
    I'm just glad I finally found a message board that's willing to talk about this.

I know I'm going to get attacked, but is there a more overrated player in the history of the NFL than Brett Favre? He was a great player, but his greatest attribute was that he didn't get hurt. Here are some of his downfalls:
    1) He was uncoachable for 10 years. He basically did what he wanted.
    2) He was a questionable decision maker. Brett didn't care about double or triple coverage, he just fired it in there.
    3) He could throw you right out of a game. In '05, he threw 29 interceptions. Ouch.
    4) In career ADJ. Passing Yards per attempt, which takes into account interceptions and getting bonus points for touchdowns. Favre ranks 42nd, below Neil O'Donnell, Ken O'Brien, and Steve Beuerlein. (#1 all time is Steve Young) (In 2006, he ranked 26th in the NFL in this stat, between Jake Delhomme and Byron Leftwich)
    5) He always got the kid gloves treatment from the media (much like Jordan)
    6) The Pack won the SB because of Reggie White (just like the Giants won the SB because of Strahan, Umenyiora, and Justin Tuck, not Eli)

I still think he was great, but I would still take Montana, Brady, Young, Marino, Elway, and Manning over Favre.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

My wife, a life long Jets fan AND a huge Bret Favre fan, wanted me to post the following:

J..E..T..S. JETS JETS JETS
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

Turn Off Ads?