Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Has Dusty Lost This Team?

Voters
66. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, they're just a really bad team

30 45.45%
  • Yes, his comments in the media have hurt him in the clubhouse..he's done.

21 31.82%
  • This year is a wash, he can get em back next year.

15 22.73%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Has Dusty Lost Em

Has Dusty Lost Em

Less than a year into the Dusty Era of Baseball with the Reds, this team doesn't seem to have any bounce back in it at all. They are FLAT, zero confidence and seemingly playing to end the season.

Has Dusty lost the team?
    Can he get it back next year or should he be gone?

Wondering what your thoughts are.
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Re: Has Dusty Lost Em

Never had 'em
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

This is a young team, they should have kept Pete Machanin. These guys played great baseball under Pete.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Dusty has yet to put his "fingerprint" on this team IMO.

And that should scare the crap out of most of us.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

He threw them under the bus the other day. It's all Wayne's fault
    Go Gators!

Nah. I firmly believe that a manager like Dusty (player's manager to a fault at times) will never "lose" the team. It's just not a good team. The better the overall talent, the more in tune with the manager they will seem.

With the youngins especially, I see a lot of overthinking out there. If you're watching in HD, you can actually see the wheels turning. It'll be a year or two before they start to get a good instinctual feel for the big league game on a daily basis. Homer and Edwin are the biggest overthinkers. Homer needs to be put on the Cueto method of throwing what the catcher puts down regardless. Edwin needs to just see ball, hit ball. He's been doing that the last month or so, and has been quite good. When he starts thinking, he gets pop upitis.
    Last edited by guttle11; 08-07-2008 at 10:07 PM.
    "I saw Wedding Crashers accidentally. I bought a ticket for Grizzly Man and went into the wrong theater. After an hour, I figured I was in the wrong theater, but I kept waiting. Thatís the thing about bear attacks. They come when you least expect it."-Dwight K. Schrute

Live together, Die alone.
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

Quote Originally Posted by MartyFan View Post
    They are FLAT, zero confidence and seemingly playing to end the season.

Wondering what your thoughts are.
    Won 2 of their last 13 .154 pct

Won 6 of their last 21 .286 pct

Won 9 of their last 26 .346 pct

The results speak for themselves.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

This poll needed the option "Lost 'em? He never had 'em"

Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    This is a young team, they should have kept Pete Machanin. These guys played great baseball under Pete.
    To be fair, this is not the same team that Mackanin had last year. Look who's gone and who replaced them. Hamilton and Griffey are gone. Hatteberg, Cantu, Gonzalez, Freel, Hopper--all gone. The pitching looks similar, but he did have a healthy Aaron Harang last year. Replacing those guys are rookie Jay Bruce and Corey F. Patterson (as well as the occasional appearance by Jerry Hairston), Votto replaces Hatteberg, Keppinger (who continues to show he is not a starter) replaces Gonzalez. While Freel and Hopper could spell some outfielder in spots, we now have no one. The torrid start by Volquez is not a replacement for a healthy Harang. Arroyo, Johnny Cueto, Josh Fogg, and Homer Bailey are not all that.

Apples to oranges. Pete would be losing with this bunch too. Not enough talent on the offensive or defensive sides to win ball games.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    To be fair, this is not the same team that Mackanin had last year. Look who's gone and who replaced them. Hamilton and Griffey are gone. Hatteberg, Cantu, Gonzalez, Freel, Hopper--all gone. The pitching looks similar, but he did have a healthy Aaron Harang last year. Replacing those guys are rookie Jay Bruce and Corey F. Patterson (as well as the occasional appearance by Jerry Hairston), Votto replaces Hatteberg, Keppinger (who continues to show he is not a starter) replaces Gonzalez. While Freel and Hopper could spell some outfielder in spots, we now have no one. The torrid start by Volquez is not a replacement for a healthy Harang. Arroyo, Johnny Cueto, Josh Fogg, and Homer Bailey are not all that.

Apples to oranges. Pete would be losing with this bunch too. Not enough talent on the offensive or defensive sides to win ball games.

It's mind boggling, really. A big ownership change, GM replacements, managerial changes, some big signings, promotion of young talent, look at the result on the field. Right now, is any team playing worse?

Jocketty gets some time to make some changes but it's pretty unbelievable.
    Last edited by Kc61; 08-07-2008 at 11:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post

This team is more talented that the one Pete had to work with. Pete had a healthy Harang but he didn't have Volquez or Cueto like Dusty has. Nor did Pete have Cordero. Dusty isn't the only problem right now but I do believe Pete Machanin was a much better choice for manager than Dusty Baker.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Hey just checking, Scott Hatteberg still doesn't have a job, does he?
    For Love of the Game

"If you aren't first; you're last"

Quote Originally Posted by penantboundreds View Post
    Hey just checking, Scott Hatteberg still doesn't have a job, does he?
    Nope. Nobody has picked him up.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Wow, really surprising no one has picked him up
    For Love of the Game

"If you aren't first; you're last"

Turn Off Ads?