Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Could Arroyo clear waivers in a deal to the Yanks?????

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Could Arroyo clear waivers in a deal to the Yanks?????

Since I am not super aware of how waivers works in a post July 31 trade, I was wondering of you guys thought the Reds could trade Arroyo to the Yankees right now.

Since Joba is headed to the DL, the Yankees might be desparate to get a starter......do they have anything the Reds could benefit from?

Does Arroyo have any say in an prospective trade?

Re: Could Arroyo clear waivers in a deal to the Yanks?????

As I understand it, a player is put on waivers and goes first through their own league in order of last year's finish, then the other. So he'd need to pass through each NL club, then through the AL. A club can claim him and either work a deal out with the Reds (and don't know if they have to make it all the way through both leagues before this step happens - possibly not) or the Reds pull him back.

Arroyo has no say since he doesn't have a no-trade clause in his contract and does not meet the 10/5 rule (10 year vet, 5 with current club) to veto a trade.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong about waivers.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    As I understand it, a player is put on waivers and goes first through their own league in order of last year's finish, then the other. So he'd need to pass through each NL club, then through the AL. A club can claim him and either work a deal out with the Reds (and don't know if they have to make it all the way through both leagues before this step happens - possibly not) or the Reds pull him back.

Arroyo has no say since he doesn't have a no-trade clause in his contract and does not meet the 10/5 rule (10 year vet, 5 with current club) to veto a trade.

Unlike when Arroyo was acquired by the Reds, he now has over 5 years of service time, This gives him the right to opt out of his contract if he is traded. Not sure it would be wise on his part, but it is a right he has. Now not only are some teams scared-off because of the money he's owed, but those that may think the dollars are OK, probably won't give-up much since he could opt out and they'd be left with nothing. JUst another wrinkle in the Arroyo situation that IMO mean's he's probably more valuable to the Reds than anything he could get in any deal.

He's a consistent 200 Inning pitcher who gives his team a chance to win when he's out there most of the time. A few really bad games have inflated his ERA, but it is not an indication of how he has pitched overall. For over two month's Arroyo has been this team's best starter. I think the rush to deal him is a knee jerk reaction to some early season struggles. I'd keep Arroyo and I wish they had another starter just like him. Even at his contract, another starter like him is what this team needs to help settle the staff down. IMO its a bigger need than anything on the offensive side.
    Last edited by mth123; 08-08-2008 at 06:07 AM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post

The only thing is, I'm pretty sure the August waiver period goes in order of the current record, not last year's.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Quote Originally Posted by blumj View Post
    The only thing is, I'm pretty sure the August waiver period goes in order of the current record, not last year's.
    I went back and researched that and you are right. After the first month of the season, it goes by current record. And it looks like if a player is claimed and trade is to be worked out between the claiming team and the present club, the player must first make it all the way through waivers before the trade can be made. Likewise, I saw this additional caveat: if a club pulls a player back, they cannot place him on waivers again for 30 days. If they waive again after that, they cannot pull the player back.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Bookstore

I also wonder how strong his Boston loyalty is--he might not be down with playing for the Yankees under any reasonable circumstance.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    I also wonder how strong his Boston loyalty is--he might not be down with playing for the Yankees under any reasonable circumstance.
    People's evidence #1: Johnny Damon... (heck BA may even cut his hair - and understand, I'm not advocating that being a former flower child myself).

The Baseball Bookstore

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

He can't opt out of his contract, he could demand a trade after the season.

That happened to Bret Boone after he was traded to the Braves.

After his season there, he demanded a trade as a way of renegotiating his contract. When the Braves wouldn't budge and give in to his demands, he took back his request.

They traded him anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    He can't opt out of his contract, he could demand a trade after the season.

That happened to Bret Boone after he was traded to the Braves.

After his season there, he demanded a trade as a way of renegotiating his contract. When the Braves wouldn't budge and give in to his demands, he took back his request.

They traded him anyway.
    Yes, Neagle did the same thing when we got him. He threatened to demand a trade. I think the Reds agreed not to pick up his option year to appease him
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Yes, Neagle did the same thing when we got him. He threatened to demand a trade. I think the Reds agreed not to pick up his option year to appease him
    Are you sure it was Neagle? The Reds traded him to the Yankees in what, kind of, became the Wily Mo Pena deal.

Per Rotoworld

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/Hea...=MLB&hl=246465

Jose Conteras suffered a ruptured Achilles' tendon during Saturday's game and will miss the rest of the season.

Wonder if the Chisox would want to dance with the Reds again?

Quote Originally Posted by icehole3 View Post
    Per Rotoworld

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/Hea...=MLB&hl=246465

Jose Conteras suffered a ruptured Achilles' tendon during Saturday's game and will miss the rest of the season.

Wonder if the Chisox would want to dance with the Reds again?

Too bad for the White Sox.

I would hope that Bronson would get more in return than some AAAA chaff.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Turn Off Ads?