Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It comes down to Talent... Fay blog...

It comes down to Talent... Fay blog...

It comes down to talent
    Posted by JohnFay at 8/8/2008 4:41 PM EDT on Cincinnati.com

There are a lot theories on what's wrong with the Reds, but I think the biggest reason they are where they are right now is because of a lack of talent. This wasn't a very deep roster to begin with. With the injuries to Aaron Harang, Jared Burton, Jerry Hairston Jr., Ryan Freel, Norris Hopper and Alex Gonzalez, it's gotten a lot thinner.

The trade of Ken Griffey Jr. thinned it a little more. Griffey was one of blog's favorite targets, but since the trade Corey Patterson has gotten the bulk of the time Griffey would have gotten. I'd still make the treade. But that's a severe drop off.

And it goes on the down the line. Homer Bailey is getting starts Harang would have gotten. Gary Majewski is getting ininngs Burton would have gotten.

Jeff Keppinger hasn't been the same player since he came back from the injury. He's hitting .209 since he came off the DL. Sit him and Jolbert Cabrera plays shortstop. Cabrera's played well but he's a 35-year-old guy who was last in the big leagues in 2004.

If everyone's healthy, Patterson is behind Freel, Hopper and Hairston on center field depth chart.

There's no way to infuse talent on Aug. 8. But you'd think the Reds would be getting younger pretty soon. They have 12 potential free agents on the roster. Isn't time the start looking at the in-house replacements? I'm curious about Ryan Hanigan, Chris Dickerson, Josh Roenicke, Chris Valaika and Todd Frazier.

I actually like this post on Fay's blog and agree with it completely.. This roster needs to get a much needed infusion of talent.. which we have in the minors, in the form of those 5 guys he mentioned. I would love to see what they could do, what's it going to hurt?
    "There is a great man who makes every man feel small. But the real great man is the man who makes every man feel great." G.K Charleston

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: It comes down to Talent... Fay blog...

Just as I post this... Rosales gets called up in place of Votto, who is place on bereavement... why Rosales???
    "There is a great man who makes every man feel small. But the real great man is the man who makes every man feel great." G.K Charleston

Quote Originally Posted by jesusfan View Post
    Just as I post this... Rosales gets called up in place of Votto, who is place on bereavement... why Rosales???
    He's been hitting pretty well for the past 3 months and has played some first base in AAA.

*edit* 18 games at first base this season and 124 games at first base since signing with the Reds according to baseball-reference.com

http://minors.baseball-reference.com....cgi?pid=12647
    Last edited by CTA513; 08-09-2008 at 03:58 PM.

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

Rosales has been on absolute fire the past three months. In August, he's OPSing over 1.000. If anyone has earned a callup, it's him.

really didn't know .281 in AAA was tearing it up...

Maybe Baker puts Kepp at 1st and Rosales at short... I don't know much about Rosales, would he be a defensive upgrade to Kepp at short? And, if so why Janish over Rosales earlier in the year...

Oh come on, that's just being lazy.

.413/.460/.674 in 22 games since the All-Star break.

.324/.375/.471 in July

.299/.339/.561 in June

I'd say he's performed pretty well recently and has been "tearing it up" since the All-Star break - unless of course you think he needs to hit the .500 mark to be tearing it up.

It is when you start out April and May with OPS of .461 and .676 respectively. Since then June: .900, July: .846, August: 1.321.

I'd say that is tearing it up at this point.

This is a nice cup of coffee for Rosales. Lets keep him arond and cut Andy Phillips when Votto returns. Lets get Dickerson up while we're at it and cut Corey P.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

Quote Originally Posted by johngalt View Post
    Oh come on, that's just being lazy.

.413/.460/.674 in 22 games since the All-Star break.

.324/.375/.471 in July

.299/.339/.561 in June

I'd say he's performed pretty well recently and has been "tearing it up" since the All-Star break - unless of course you think he needs to hit the .500 mark to be tearing it up.
    Hopefully he has turned the corner... And, I wasn't being "Lazy". I knew exactly what he was hitting since the All-Star break. However, I prefer to base my opinions on larger sample sizes than just 20-30 games... Remember Corey Patterson early in the year, he started off tearing it up.. that was a small sample size...

The guy may have turned the corner though, it does happen... Hopefully that is the case.

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

Hopefully he has turned the corner... And, I wasn't being "Lazy". I knew exactly what he was hitting since the All-Star break. However, I prefer to base my opinions on larger sample sizes than just 20-30 games... Remember Corey Patterson early in the year, he started off tearing it up.. that was a small sample size...

The guy may have turned the corner though, it does happen... Hopefully that is the case.
    You were the first to say 'tearing it up' in this thread. 'Lately' was clearly implied in my post (hence the specific mentions of the past three months and August in particular). No one said he was going to turn the season around or anything, but I doubt you can find more than a small few professional baseball players who have performed better than Rosales in August this year.

No one said he was "tearing it up" all season. The guy said he had been on fire the last three months, which is pretty much true.

Obviously, the larger the sample size the better, but if someone is putting up a 900+ OPS over the course of two and a half months in AAA, I think most observers would agree that could be considered a significant hot streak. That's certainly different than Corey Patterson having seven good games.

Rosales got off to a horrible start in April and May, then he started hitting in June and continued to hit well in July and is off to a real good start in August.

Code:
    April: .177 AVG (14 for 79) with 3 Doubles, 1 Triple and 9 RBIs
    May: .235 AVG (20 for 85) with 3 Doubles, 2 Triples, 1 HR and 6 RBIs
    June: .299 AVG (32 for 107) with 9 Doubles, 2 Triples, 5 HRs and 24 RBIs
    July: .324 AVG (33 for 102) with 7 Doubles, 1 Triple, 2 HRs and 10 RBIs
    August: .444 AVG (16 for 36) with 6 Doubles, 1 Triple, 1 HR and 4 RBIs

April and May: .207 AVG (34 for 164), with 6 Doubles, 3 Triples and  1 HR and 15 RBIs
    June, July and August: .330 AVG (81 for 245), with 22 Doubles, 4 Triples and 9 HRs and 38 RBIs
    Total: .281 AVG (115 for 409) with 28 Doubles, 7 Triples, 10 HRs and 53 RBIs
    Last edited by CTA513; 08-09-2008 at 05:18 PM.

The dissection of semantics on this thread is depressing. It really does illustrate how little there is to talk about with this Reds team.
    "Booing on opening day is like telling grandma her house smells like old lady."--WOY

Should I start a thread about tomatoes or tomatos?

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    Should I start a thread about tomatoes or tomatos?
    Ketchup or Catchup?
    Go Gators!

Turn Off Ads?