Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Paul Newman down to days to live; wants to die at home

Paul Newman down to days to live; wants to die at home

He will be missed. One of the greatest actors of the 20th Century.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sto...03-663,00.html

PAUL Newman has finished chemotherapy and has told his family he wants to die at home.
    The Oscar-winning actor was pictured being pushed from a New York cancer hospital in a wheelchair.
    Yesterday, it was reported in America that Newman, 83, had only weeks to live and had returned home to his wife, Joanne Woodward.
    "Paul didn't want to die in the hospital," a source said. "Joanne and his daughters are beside themselves with grief."
    The source, described as a close family friend, said that the star had spent the past few weeks getting his affairs in order.
    It was claimed that some of Newman's actions had caused tension among of his children.
    "He gave a prized car - a Ferrari with his racing number, 82, on it - to a long-time pal," the friend said.
    "The sudden move angered his children. It's especially hard for them to come to grips with what's going on.
    "The word they've been given is that he has only a few weeks to live."
    Newman married Woodward in 1958 and the couple have three daughters.
    It was reported last month that he had been readying their oldest child, Nell, to take over his Newman's Own salad dressings company, the profits of which are given to a charitable foundation.
    He also has two daughters from his first marriage to Jackie Witte.
    Newman has so far declined to comment on his condition, apart from saying he is "doing nicely".
    Rumours about his health surfaced in January. Three months ago, he withdrew from directing a production of Of Mice and Men in his home town of Westport, Connecticut.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    For a Level Playing Field

Re: Paul Newman down to days to live; wants to die at home

He was born Paul Leonard Newman on the 26th of January, 1925, in Shaker Heights, an affluent suburb of Cleveland. Paul graduated from Shaker Heights High School in 1943. He briefly attended Ohio University at Athens, but was expelled for (allegedly) crashing a keg of beer into the president's car.
    Born and raised in Ohio. Sad, but a good and long life.

That's too bad. What a great actor. One of the elite actors of our time. He will be missed but forever remembered for his fantastic roles.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

You're in my prayers Butch.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

He's lived a full, wonderful life, and now he's passing on his own terms.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

I knew that he was the founder of Newmans own but honestly didn't know the causes they donated too...makes me even more glad I buy the product.
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

Schnickelfritz

The best Paul Newman role ever.

I've always had a soft spot for Newman. He was around the same age my dad was so I always saw a lot of my pop in him.

Quote Originally Posted by BurgervilleBuck View Post
    The best Paul Newman role ever.

I've always had a soft spot for Newman. He was around the same age my dad was so I always saw a lot of my pop in him.
    I don't know if it was his greatest role but it was a great movie.

In fact I have a Chiefs jersey I bought online years ago.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

I thought I had posted this earlier, but apparently I didn't click Post.

I always loved this scene from Cool Hand Luke

“In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Zoinks!

Quote Originally Posted by BurgervilleBuck View Post

He was the exact same age of my dad (though mine passed away 20 years ago) but he always seemed younger than my dad. Don't think I could imagine my dad in any Newman roles or driving a race car. Newman was too damn cool.

I remember a poll conducted in a psychology class I attended in college back in the mid-1970s. The guys were asked who they thought was the sexiest female star; actresses such as Farrah Fawcett and Cybill Shepherd, all in their 20s, got the votes. The women in the class were then asked to vote for the sexiest actor: Paul Newman, then in his early 50s, won in a landslide.
    There has of course always been much more to Newman than his sex appeal to women, but I thought the results of that poll were interesting on several levels, indicating both his continuing appeal to women as he got older, and indicating probably the greater maturity of women as compared to we men.
    I've read that Steve McQueen was always very competitvie with Paul Newman. The two of them were often up for the same roles. Originally, "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid" casting suggestions had McQueen playing Butch and Newman Sundance. When the two of them later starred together in "The Towering Inferno," negotiations reportedly went on for some time regarding billing in the credits on the movie posters. McQueen and Newman were both very accomplished auto racers.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Clint Eastwood is 78 ..... and I still think he's sexy.
    "Whatever you choose, however many roads you travel, I hope that you choose not to be a lady. I hope you will find some way to break the rules and make a little trouble out there. And I also hope that you will choose to make some of that trouble on behalf of women." - Nora Ephron

Quote Originally Posted by TeamCasey View Post
    Clint Eastwood is 78 ..... and I still think he's sexy.

Makeup does wonders.

Several years ago, I was having dinner with my family and a friend of my older sister's came along. They had recently finished filming "Bridges of Madison County" and she had been on the set and had been around Clint quite a bit. Naturally everyone was curious as what he was like and she said something like, "He's old."
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Paul Newman is my favorite. Ever. I have been dreading his death for at least 15 years.

He has always been lucky enough to do good work, and he has always talked about how lucky he has been. It's so easy to remember how good his movies were and how freaking good-looking he is. But those things did come about by chance.

What has not been chance with Paul Newman is how hard he has worked and what good work he has done. The man is a brilliant actor, but you can see, when you compare his early stuff with his later stuff, how much harder he was working to do it at the beginning. The fact that he makes it look so easy later in life is because he worked hard enough to make it that way. He did all the work, all the back stuff, all the research, all the exercise, for so many years that it finally did come naturally to him. It's a great trajectory to watch from a career standpoint. He has always taken acting more seriously than I think people give him credit for, and he has great respect for his field while never seeming to think it above any other.

His charity work is unparalleled in Hollywood. Newman's Own is quite enough on its own, but he also started a camp for terminally ill children, the first of its kind (there are many more now). The idea of the camp is to let very ill children have the same summer camp that every other kid gets to have, and to be surrounded to kids just like them, so that when they have to head to a chemo session or ride around in a wheelchair, they're not the freaks. Paul Newman was involved in every aspect of building this camp, from the landscaping to the funding, and it is completely free for every child who attends. He does not allow the camp to to photographed or even publicized beyond the children it attracts. I would wager a fair amount of money that the man does extensive charity work that no one in the public even knows about.

And it may seem redundant, but he has just always struck me as such a stand-up guy. He stands up for his political beliefs in a well-educated, passionate way, and he is always learning and attacking new things -- acting, directing, business, charity work, car racing. This is a man who has really lived life. And has a seemingly happy family life as well.

I always wanted to meet him before he died and it looks as though that won't happen. But when I was 19, I was an apprentice at the Shakespeare Theatre of New Jersey. I was very young and inexperienced compared to almost everyone else in the company, and a little intimidated, but I worked hard and had a great time. My acting teacher was a good friend of the Newmans' and worked with them on some of their philanthropy -- although I didn't know that at the time -- and I mentioned at some point how much I admired Paul Newman as an actor and a person. From then on, every now and again, he used this to coax me on if I was having a rough time in class or when he was directing me. It was a playful thing, kind of an inside joke, but in a way it did help me to think of a person who worked so hard at acting, who attacked it like a job instead of getting freaked out by the personal digging you have to do within it. At the end of the season, when I met with the artistic director of the theater, she gave me a Newman's Own t-shirt and a Paul Newman-autographed Newman's Own cookbook. No doubt my teacher was involved with this, although he never let on, and it was as rewarding a present I could have asked for.

And the cookbook is hilarious. Tasty recipes, too.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Turn Off Ads?