Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Bill Bavasi hired as Special Assistant

Bill Bavasi hired as Special Assistant

Surprised there hasn't been a thread on this yet, but Bill Bavasi (former M's GM) was brought in to our FO for "assistance" (whatever that means).

Anyways, I really don't see the big deal. A lot of people on the ORG are freaking out since they think this move might be a signal that he's going to be the next GM.

However, I don't buy it. BCast already got the man he had in mind for the posistion in Walt. And as aggressive as BCast is, he's not going to fire Walt without giving him atleast a couple seasons (and offseasons) to work with.

Secondly, this happens all the time around the majors and looking back at history (hell, even our own), hiring an ex-GM doesn't signal he's going to become the next GM. Or else wouldn't Dan O'Brien be the Brewers' GM and WayneO be the Mets' GM?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Bill Bavasi hired as Special Assistant

whose to say walt hasnt told cast he wants out? besides why does he need an assistant? he did fine with the cards. not only that..but to hire an asst that did ran a franchise into the ground? i dont like it...it worries me

I hope by "assistant" they mean taking messages for WJ and sending faxes.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyerFanatic View Post
    whose to say walt hasnt told cast he wants out? besides why does he need an assistant? he did fine with the cards. not only that..but to hire an asst that did ran a franchise into the ground? i dont like it...it worries me
    First off, Walt Jocketty had assistants in St. Louis. And not just one, but I'm sure several. As is the case for every GM -- such a position that takes a great deal of constant surveillance and work will require the work of assistants. Again, it's no big deal. The only reason it's worrisome to people is because who was hired. It could have been some no name who has never had experience as a GM and there would be no worries. Bavasi was hired to be brought in as an "assistant," just like intern number three and secretary number six.

If Walt were seriously considering retiring, he would have done it after his run with the Cardinals.

Turn Off Ads?