Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What would it take to get Dusty fired?

What would it take to get Dusty fired?

What??

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: What would it take to get Dusty fired?

Why do so many people want Dusty fired? This is a perenially losing franchise. Dusty took over a bunch of guys who have done nothing but lose for their entire careers...including newcomers like Cordero. I think the only Reds player on the entire roster who has a ring is David Weathers from the 97 Marlins.

It's going to take some time for Jocketty to get the roster where we can win again. We have some good, core players to go into next year with. I feel confident that Dusty can win in Cincinnati and I think it would be a big mistake to bring yet another manager in to do what no-one since Jack McKeon pulled a rabbit out of a hat in 1999 and hadn't happened since Davey Johnson left in 1995.

The one decision that I never agreed with all season long was leaving Griffey in the 3-hole, but beyond that, what has he done to deserve so many calling for his firing?

Why should Dusty be fired?

not gonna happen, imo no matter what, as long as its on field related that is.

My own reason for wanting Dusty Baker fired is the overall bad aroma of this Reds team. Baker was supposed to be a guy who had a knack for firing up players and getting them to play. I see a bunch of guys just going through the motions.

There were times earlier this year when the effort was there, but it seems once Griffey was traded they threw in the towel.

Quote Originally Posted by Maldez View Post
    My own reason for wanting Dusty Baker fired is the overall bad aroma of this Reds team. Baker was supposed to be a guy who had a knack for firing up players and getting them to play. I see a bunch of guys just going through the motions.

There were times earlier this year when the effort was there, but it seems once Griffey was traded they threw in the towel.
    But that's my point about the bunch of players that he inherited....they are a bunch of guys who know nothing else but losing. They have been losing for years. It's going to take more than Dusty's charm to turn this around...the roster must be "adjusted"..to turn the mindset around.

Quote Originally Posted by BlastFurnace View Post
    But that's my point about the bunch of players that he inherited....they are a bunch of guys who know nothing else but losing. They have been losing for years. It's going to take more than Dusty's charm to turn this around...the roster must be "adjusted"..to turn the mindset around.
    i agree Dusty needs time to change the culture next year i hope they can get a better grasp on the fundementals and make less mental mistakes

Quote Originally Posted by BlastFurnace View Post

Why should Dusty be fired?
    Here's why I want him fired....

No player has ever won the Rookie of the Year Award while being managed by Dusty Baker. In fact, no one has ever come close. 1n 1994, Baker's second year as a manager, William Van Landingham earned 9 points in Rookie voting, good for 7th place. In Baker's last year with the Giants, Ryan Jensen came in 6th place with 4 points. That's it. That's the list. Ten years with the Giants and four with the Cubs have yeilded 13 points in Rookie of the Year voting.

On Mark Bellhorn in 2003 - "He has been programmed before we got him, by the A's. Their philosophy is taking a lot of pitches and getting deep in the count. Most times I notice guys who come from the AL to the NL aren't used to being aggressive and take a lot of pitches. It's going to take time to change your mind-set".

Programmed, not taught, or encouraged, but rather brainwashed by the evil bastards in Oakland. Bellhorn was traded mid-season for the "aggressive" Jose Hernandez, and the next season became the starting 2B for the WS Champion Red Sox, posting a .374 OBP.

In 2005 - "I remember my old GM Al Campanis (side note : who also said Dusty couldn't swim or play QB) telling me that a player doesn't reach his peak until he's somewhere between 32 and 36 and beyond, and it depends on how his legs are and his desire and if he keeps his weight down and his waistline down. Explains why Junior stayed in the #3 spot I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by dougflynn23 View Post

No player has ever won the Rookie of the Year Award while being managed by Dusty Baker. In fact, no one has ever come close. 1n 1994, Baker's second year as a manager, William Van Landingham earned 9 points in Rookie voting, good for 7th place. In Baker's last year with the Giants, Ryan Jensen came in 6th place with 4 points. That's it. That's the list. Ten years with the Giants and four with the Cubs have yeilded 13 points in Rookie of the Year voting.

On Mark Bellhorn in 2003 - "He has been programmed before we got him, by the A's. Their philosophy is taking a lot of pitches and getting deep in the count. Most times I notice guys who come from the AL to the NL aren't used to being aggressive and take a lot of pitches. It's going to take time to change your mind-set".

Programmed, not taught, or encouraged, but rather brainwashed by the evil bastards in Oakland. Bellhorn was traded mid-season for the "aggressive" Jose Hernandez, and the next season became the starting 2B for the WS Champion Red Sox, posting a .374 OBP.

In 2005 - "I remember my old GM Al Campanis (side note : who also said Dusty couldn't swim or play QB) telling me that a player doesn't reach his peak until he's somewhere between 32 and 36 and beyond, and it depends on how his legs are and his desire and if he keeps his weight down and his waistline down. Explains why Junior stayed in the #3 spot I guess.
    As Doug Flynn is pointing out, these are just more examples of why Dusty should not be allowed to mentor the Reds' young players. The Reds need to fire him. We see evidence of his bad decision-making with his lineups every day and those bad decisions are based on baseball philosophies that should not be imparted to the team's players.

Quote Originally Posted by mroby85 View Post
    not gonna happen, imo no matter what, as long as its on field related that is.
    Not gonna happen, BUT NEEDS TO HAPPEN. Enough said. He is terrible. You can blame it on the players and other coaches, and even Krivsky, but I have seen enough managerial blunders to know that he can't manage. He is responsible for atleast 5 to 8 wins this year, and that is not an exaggeration.

He is terrible and needs to be replaced. And with a manager who has some fire under his belly.
    Who's on first?

Quote Originally Posted by superred View Post
    i agree Dusty needs time to change the culture next year i hope they can get a better grasp on the fundementals and make less mental mistakes
    "change the culture...." are you serious? He spent all winter and an entire Spring with this team. That is plenty of time for a good manager to "change the culture." Spare me that nonsense.

Should they wait until next year to get a better grasp on the fundamentals? Why not now? Why next year? What will be different next year? Will DUHsty become a better teacher next year?

His culture includes paying Corey $3 mil., dragging Bako off the scrap heap, and similar moves. "change the culture." seriously.

Last year Pete came in, made many moves to spark the team, and essentially put his own mark on the "culture" the first day. DUHsty wouldn't know "culture" if it handed him a box of toothpicks. You guys gotta get an idea and drop the philosophical nonsense. These are prima donna millionaires who need a little direction, that's all.

DUHsty has no ability to guide young players, period.
    Work hard....Play hard.....Slide Hard

As much as I despise him, I'll be the first to admit that Dusty isn't any better or worse than 99% of the other managers in baseball. The real problem, however, is our idiotic ownership/management that truly believes a "big name" manager can turn a bunch of crappy players into a pennant contender.

They shoulda just stuck with Mackanin.

Dusty has managed other MLB teams. Cubs and Giants come to mind. What do the fans of those teams think of the job he did there?

...exactly.

But hey, he's a "big name." The question is, is Dusty famous, or infamous?

Hard to believe there are still people that support dusty baker managing this team, must not be big Reds fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Burton View Post
    Hard to believe there are still people that support dusty baker managing this team, must not be big Reds fans.
    What a joke. I've been an avid follower of the Reds since 1976. What I am advocating is to quit bringing in manager after manager year after year and thinking that this losing culture is going to change...just for the sake of change. At some point in time, you have to look at the players that need to change. They are professionals!

I think expecting Dusty to come in here and win with a bunch of guys who know nothing but losing...in one year...is not realistic. This franchise hasn't won anything in 18 years and has 1 good season in the past 12. I believe we have someone in leadership in Jocketty that can make a difference, but the answer is not just to fire the manager.

If you fire Dusty, who will you bring in and how long will you give him....or do you believe that you give a guy a year and then fire him if nothing happens?

Quote Originally Posted by dougflynn23 View Post

So you want Dusty fired because no rookie has finished higher than 7th in ROY voting?

Turn Off Ads?