Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Dumbest Scene Ever in a Movie

Re: Dumbest Scene Ever in a Movie

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    You sir have no decency. The terrorists have won.
    Hey, I'm not saying it wasn't awesome -- that fact is undeniable.

I'm just saying it was dumb. Dumbly awesome.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

2. Turn Off Ads?

I like Michael Bay, really I do. Loved Armageddon, Bad Boys and really loved Transformers.

But when it comes to WWII movies, I want spielberg involved somehow.

pearl harbor was entertaining to me, but done in Bay's fashion which does not translate well to historical pieces such as the bombing of Pearl harbor.

Schnickelfritz

Dumbest scene ever in a movie... the elephant humping scene in The Love Guru.

In fact, just put every scene from The Love Guru in this category.

Quote Originally Posted by BurgervilleBuck View Post
    Dumbest scene ever in a movie... the elephant humping scene in The Love Guru.

In fact, just put every scene from The Love Guru in this category.
    I think the scene where you gave somebody money for a ticket to The Love Guru was even dumber...
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Schnickelfritz

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I think the scene where you gave somebody money for a ticket to The Love Guru was even dumber...
    Oh, I got that money back. The movie was the veritable floater in the punch bowl. Only not as adorable.

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

I can't stand Pearl Harbor, but for different reasons than most here. When it came out, my wife and I were still dating, and we dated long distance. She lived in Manhattan, KS and I lived in Cincinnati. We would make trips back and forth as often as we could and we called and emailed every day as well. She had just come to Cincinnati for a weekend. I had just been in Kansas the previous weekend and had proposed out there. So we had been engaged for about a week at the time and seeing her off at the airport wasn't easy. At least then (before 9/11) you could go to the gate without a ticket to see people onto the plane. So we're at the gate, newly engaged lovebirds that can't let go of one another, and then she has to get on the plane at the last minute. The plane takes off and I head back to the parking lot at CVG, suddenly feeling very lonely because I realize I can't talk to her until she gets off the plane in KC.

I figure that a movie is just the answer to get my mind off romantic topics for a few hours and I look in the paper for the listings. Wow, Pearl Harbor is showing in an hour. A war movie will be just the thing, a guy movie with action and violence to get the testosterone flowing. (I hadn't read the review.) Well, needless to say, the film did not do what I wanted it to do. The last thing I needed was all the romantic stuff in there. I left the theater disappointed because I had different expectations going in and I haven't watched it since.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

I love the movie Bull Durham but there were a couple of scenes - really not scenes but bits of scenes - that seemed uncomfortable. One was where Crash and Nuke went over to Annie's to "try out" and I just thought the scene where she gave nuke his nickname seemed forced. Before that exchange and Crash's "I believe in the soul..." speech were fine but they all seemed like they were fake laughing. I also found the scene where Crash reported to the Bulls forced. Just the part where he said he was going to quit and tossed out several profanities. Not that I care about that but Costner's delivery seemed forced.

I agree about Pearl Harbor. I thought it was a pretty good yarn for a while until FDR stands up during his meeting. That blew the whole movie for me. I'm not necessarily a stickler for historical accuracy but that scene was awful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I love the movie Bull Durham but there were a couple of scenes - really not scenes but bits of scenes - that seemed uncomfortable. One was where Crash and Nuke went over to Annie's to "try out" and I just thought the scene where she gave nuke his nickname seemed forced. Before that exchange and Crash's "I believe in the soul..." speech were fine but they all seemed like they were fake laughing. I also found the scene where Crash reported to the Bulls forced. Just the part where he said he was going to quit and tossed out several profanities. Not that I care about that but Costner's delivery seemed forced.
    WHAAAAT?!? You're saying Kevin Costner isn't a good actor?
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

I don't know about you guys, but the flying bus from "Speed" always just kinda threw me for a loop!

Or the girl in Jurassic Park just suddenly being able to work and restart that computer system "Oh this is Unix" and can totally access a system that earlier had locked out the more experienced ones in the group.
    In those things which we commit to practice we can master, and with mastery we have the freedom to use these skills whenever we desire, without this practice we are slaves to our inability.

Jurassic Park 2, the little girl doing a gymnastics routine and taking down a raptor.

I was SO wanting her to become that Dino's lunch.
    Go Gators!

Droll, yes. Quite droll. FlightRick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    When a team wins their last game, and it is not a championship, and the movie ends.
    My knowledge is far from encyclopedic on this issue, but off the tip of my brain, doesn't it seem like sports movies that end this way are pretty much DESIGNED to do so, so that whatever final game is shown is the "important" one, and anything else would have been laboring to tag on something unnecessary?

Like "Major League," you had the main plot, but they were also able, thoughout the course of the movie, to build the Yankees up into second-level antagonists without slowing down the pace. What's more satisfying: Paying off 90 minutes of the Yankees being the Indian's own personal El Guapo? Or tacking on additional games against teams with no "personality" and having to count on cut-aways to the owner's box in order to have an on-screen villian?

And also: "Miracle" was an awesome movie and all, but it's also 2 and a half hours long as it stands.... you're really telling me it would have benefitted from ANOTHER 20 minutes, just to chronicle an extra game against Luxemborg or whichever fifth-rate world power we had to beat AFTER the Russians? Never was there a wiser execution of the "gloss over the final tidbits and just go with the Animal-House-style freeze-frame captions" at the end of a movie, if you ask me....

Rick

PS: Worst Scene Ever is when the chick from "Saved by the Bell" suddenly busts out kung fu moves in "Showgirls" to beat up a bad guy and prove her toughness. A bunch of us armed with fake IDs showed up the see that dreck its opening weekend, and quickly became appaled at how unthinkably terrible it was. When we burst out laughing at the allegedly-dramatic turning point Kung Fu scene, we got "shushed" by most of the other people in the theatre, and decided to make "Showgirls" the only movie I have ever actually walked out on.

I am not sure if it was intentional, but I laughed out loud when Sheen hit the pavement in The Departed. Visually, it was actually rather comical.

Almost any scene with a kid in any movie. RedsFan75 mentioned Jurassic Park - there were so many awkward scenes with kids in that movie, especially the boy and Neill.

How about Con Air when the guys go after Nick Cages character in the alley. He's a Green Beret, and they go after him. Real smart fellas.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

Another thing i could add is almost ALL car chase scenes. What a waste of time, IMO.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Another thing i could add is almost ALL car chase scenes. What a waste of time, IMO.
    As long as the car chase scenes in The Blues Brothers are exempt, I agree.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Turn Off Ads?