Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: Dumbest Scene Ever in a Movie

Senor Votto

Re: Dumbest Scene Ever in a Movie

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    Major League and Major League II same deal.

Rookie of the Year never found out what happened to the Cubs in the World Series. My guess is they lost.

It just annoys me.
    You didn't see the kid's world series ring at the very end?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Of recent memory...the "waterfall" scene in the latest Raiders' movie, the nuclear explosion scene, and finally the jungle, vine-swinging sequence/scene in that movie.

Quote Originally Posted by CrackerJack View Post
    Of recent memory...the "waterfall" scene in the latest Raiders' movie, the nuclear explosion scene, and finally the jungle, vine-swinging sequence/scene in that movie.
    Well, the last Indiana Jones movies was one of the worst I've seen in a while.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

You're being very UnDude. sonny's Avatar

click this, you wont be dissapointed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3OfXJddqQU
    Witty signature.

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sonny View Post

That's one big shark.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

We actually turned Shark Attack 3: Megalodon into a drinking game back in college. I recall not really being able to stand after it was through.

:all_cohol
    Last edited by Screwball; 08-12-2008 at 11:29 PM.

All of this Michael Bay talk got me thinking...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQvAapzuWUc

Senor Votto

BEST VIDEO EVER!

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

It wasn't a scene in a movie, but rather a hit show, 24 - and is the reason I don't watch that show today.

In an embarrassing lack of total knowledge of physics, rocketry and basic science, the 4th season is finalized by a ICBM launched from Iowa traveling "500mph" towards LA.

The show brags about all these insider connections giving terrorist scenarios that could happen, but obviously no one advises the show who has ever been around a rocket, a missile, a Nuclear tipped warhead or anything involving the Missile Defense program.

A Rocket going "500mph" wouldn't even get out of Iowa - Heck a nuke tipped rocket going 5000mph might just barely get out of Iowa. And that they played out the show for several hours while it was coming was even more embarrassing. One phone call to anyone ever affiliated with Nukes, Bombs, Rockets or Missiles would have cleared that up in 30 seconds. Otherwise it's just embarrassing and awful writing. "Uh well it's 1500 miles between Iowa and LA and we need it to last for three shows so lets make it go 500mph".

Yeah I'm not bitter.
    Last edited by jmcclain19; 08-13-2008 at 05:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jmcclain19 View Post
    It wasn't a scene in a movie, but rather a hit show, 24 - and is the reason I don't watch that show today.

In an embarrassing lack of total knowledge of physics, rocketry and basic science, the 4th season is finalized by a ICBM launched from Iowa traveling "500mph" towards LA.

The show brags about all these insider connections giving terrorist scenarios that could happen, but obviously no one advises the show who has ever been around a rocket, a missile, a Nuclear tipped warhead or anything involving the Missile Defense program.

A Rocket going "500mph" wouldn't even get out of Iowa - Heck a nuke tipped rocket going 5000mph might just barely get out of Iowa. And that they played out the show for several hours while it was coming was even more embarrassing. One phone call to anyone ever affiliated with Nukes, Bombs, Rockets or Missiles would have cleared that up in 30 seconds. Otherwise it's just embarrassing and awful writing. "Uh well it's 1500 miles between Iowa and LA and we need it to last for three shows so lets make it go 500mph".

Yeah I'm not bitter.
    Any movie/show where a person is shot with a handgun and goes flying 20 feet backwards through a window.

Drives me bonkers for the same reason. Stupid physics!

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander View Post
    That's one big shark.
    That was very reminiscent of the SFX from "Land of The Lost." It would have been funny to throw in an old clip of Marshall, Will and Holly in their raft, going over the falls into the shark's mouth.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    Any movie/show where a person is shot with a handgun and goes flying 20 feet backwards through a window.

Drives me bonkers for the same reason. Stupid physics!
    It was Discovery Channel or History Channel (can't remember which) that did a show on inaccuracies in special effects on tv and movies. That was one thing they spent a lot of time on, what a body actually does when shot. They had cops and military people who had enough experience shooting people to actually describe what someone does when shot by different weapons. Even a powerful handgun won't knock you backwards like that. You're more likely to just fall straight down or maybe back onto your butt. They also did some experiments firing different weapons into 200 lb hunks of beef and the beef hardly even moved, even when shot with a .45 at close range.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander View Post
    It was Discovery Channel or History Channel (can't remember which) that did a show on inaccuracies in special effects on tv and movies. That was one thing they spent a lot of time on, what a body actually does when shot. They had cops and military people who had enough experience shooting people to actually describe what someone does when shot by different weapons. Even a powerful handgun won't knock you backwards like that. You're more likely to just fall straight down or maybe back onto your butt. They also did some experiments firing different weapons into 200 lb hunks of beef and the beef hardly even moved, even when shot with a .45 at close range.
    Yep.

The gunpowder is burning and creating pressure as the volume of gas inside the cartridge expands. That rapid expansion both propells the bullet forward and the gun backwards (aka recoil or "kick"). Since there's only one way for that gas to escape the bullet goes forward along with most of the energy. Some, however, exerts force backwards.

There will be some inertia (not sure if that's the right term) as the energy of the bullet is transfered into the target while it rapidly decelerates. That's the force that may cause the other person to fall backwards. And that energy transfered to a body can not exceed the amount originally imposed on the bullet (in fact, the energy will decrease as the bullet slows due to gravity, friction, etc).

But to generate the kinds of force to achieve hollywood dramatic body launching at the bullet impact/deceleration stage would require so much energy back at the gas expansion stage (i.e firing the gun) that the shooter would also fly backwards at nearly the same rate as the death-dealing bad guy who just met his maker.

Very few movies portray firearms accuratly, which is a shame, as most people form opinions about them based on what they see on the big screen. Die Hard II referenced a Glock handgun that "couldn't be detected by metal detectors". Problem is there is no such thing. Yet, the myth continues.

I suppose it's like a doctor watching a medical drama and cringing at all the mistakes.

Fortunatley, I'm usually in the mood for big explosions and car chases so it's all good.
    Last edited by Ltlabner; 08-13-2008 at 08:57 PM.

A couple of weeks ago I was forced to watch The Ruins. The scenes with the flowers--the ones where the flowers imitate a cell phone and mock the idiot college kids (although I admit all of us were doing the same) were among the dumbest I've ever seen. Is it possible that this was intended to be a comedy?
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    I suppose it's like a doctor watching a medical drama and cringing at all the mistakes.
    Yeah -- Law & Order became significantly less entertaining when I actually started working in criminal law.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Turn Off Ads?